How many calories should I be burning?

Options
I've been burning about 500 calories every time I do cardio but is that enough? I am just now starting to track what I'm eating as well.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? 500 is more than enough if you are keep track of the calories.
  • ndgilbert6
    ndgilbert6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I did no exercise I should eat 1200 to lose weight, but if I exercise I can eat up to 1700... I usually eat about 1400-1600 calories a day and drink a glass of wine or two
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Are you logging the calories in the wine?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I wish i could burn that much in a day. :) But if you are only eating back 1/2 you dont need to exercise that much. just a thought.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    500 per day is a pretty good target.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are doing fine (as long as the wine is included in your calorie count and not in addition to the 14-16K).
  • megansprague
    Options
    (bump) I want to look at this later -- I'm going to the gym now actually. You and I have pretty similar goals!
  • ndgilbert6
    ndgilbert6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah... alcohol is hard for me to give up considering I'm 21 and in college..... I try to just eat less if I'm going to drink
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    500 is a good place to start. However I'd suggest trying to push further as you progress. Try adding 50 or 100 calories to that every week if you can.

When I stated in January I was burning about 400 calories a day with a half hour workout three days a week. Now in June I'm pushing about 1200 on weekdays with an hour and a half workout and over 2000 most weekends pushing on for at least two hours. Honestly I'm just trying to keep my effort level even. As time passes and I stick with it that requires harder or longer sessions. . Progress is good.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    And I do still drink. I just count the calories in my vodka.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I'm not doing any cardio right now so I'm good with 0 calories burned. If you are training for a marathon then 500 is pretty weak. If you're just trying to do a general decent workout then 500 is probably good.