How to get high protein, low carbs

Options

Replies

• sandi4711
    sandi4711 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sardines are a great source of protein. Also for vegans, tofu is a good option. And I personally drink an all natural, no additives, high protein meal replacement shake every day. And it's vegan, not whey protein.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • ricolifee
    ricolifee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use a zerocarb protein called Isopure as I find it helps me bump my protein up and fits my macros to low carb.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    frantzcr wrote: »
    I eat meat so that's good news for me. Any tips for those who choose not to and what they can eat to increase protein?

I'm a vegetarian and just started a vegan Protein
    Powder. It did not taste great but maybe it will grow on me.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I eat meat so that's good news for me. Any tips for those who choose not to and what they can eat to increase protein?

There are plenty of great tasting plant based protein powders... what brand are you using? I'm pretty sure I've tried about 75% of all that are readily available and several that are not on the market or never made it past product testing phase.

I might have some suggestions for you.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem being dairy free trying to get enough protein. I do find hemp protein helpful though not the best tasting but it can be masked. I also try to get nut or flax milk with extra protein, every bit counts! Another snack Is making chia pudding with the 2x protein milk and adding peanut butter.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Red13 wrote: »
    I have the same problem being dairy free trying to get enough protein. I do find hemp protein helpful though not the best tasting but it can be masked. I also try to get nut or flax milk with extra protein, every bit counts! Another snack Is making chia pudding with the 2x protein milk and adding peanut butter.

none of that sounds delicious at all. I eat stupid amounts of protein o a daily basis, and I prefer it taste good.

If you like it, more power to you, but it sounds pretty gross to me.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just trying to suggest different things for OP, if you ask me, tofu is disgusting. And I do enjoy what I suggested, I agree the hemp protein on its own isn't good but who would eat it that way. It's up to me to make it good

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

I use garden of life smooth chocolate. I believe it is vegan. I'm not vegan but I really like the flavor of that one and the thin consistency.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get around 40% protein and 30% carbs a day but every time I try to eat something high in protein it seems to come with the carbs. Any food suggestions that have worked for you on getting mainly just your protein up for the day?

30% carb isn't really low (nor is 40% protein all that high). With a 40/30/30 it should be pretty easy.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Things that have mothers

This should be on a shirt somehow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get around 40% protein and 30% carbs a day but every time I try to eat something high in protein it seems to come with the carbs. Any food suggestions that have worked for you on getting mainly just your protein up for the day?

your best pure protein sources are going to be lean meats...all protein, minimal fat, and no carbs.

Why are you trying to hit 40%? Typically the "zone" diet is 40c/30p/30f. That was more than enough protein and I even cut it from there...at some point it's just really expensive energy and not giving you much benefit beyond that.
  • cmcmlb29
    cmcmlb29 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great thread as I'm trying to get more protein, less carbs in my meals. Thx for the tips.
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ]

your best pure protein sources are going to be lean meats...all protein, minimal fat, and no carbs.

Why are you trying to hit 40%? Typically the "zone" diet is 40c/30p/30f. That was more than enough protein and I even cut it from there...at some point it's just really expensive energy and not giving you much benefit beyond that.

I'm on a diet to help with the microbiom of the gut and the coach said to do 40%protein,30%fat, and 30%carbs. I think the reason my be that the carbs feed the yeast inside us which lead to inflammation or something but don't hold me to that. May be a different reason.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I consume 160 grams of protein a day with no problem. Ouch..nuts are not the best choice at all...Great article about the best bang for buck (protein per calorie) foods here: https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/best_protein_sources1
    Oh I hadn't thought of tuna! Would sardines be okay instead if trying to avoid heavy metals?

Salmon (canned or in the pouch for convenience ) is a great option as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Tofu.

Otherwise protein sources are increasingly high carb.

Which is fine, since carbs aren't bad for you!

Nuts aren't high carb; they are high fat (and not a good protein source except for a vegan). They are also good for you apart from macros, and caloric (so be careful).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, Tuna fish packets, cottage cheese, meat (chicken breast), eggs. all good protein sources with low carbs.
    Oh I hadn't thought of tuna! Would sardines be okay instead if trying to avoid heavy metals?

Sardines are great.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Story of my life fighting to get more protein, less carbs. I'm kind of done worrying too much about it, as long as I'm within my calories. Nut butter and milk, meat and fish. I hate Greek yoghurt but I might try again and play around with adding flavour or fruit. I reckon I'm going to have to get some protein powder if I ever really worry that much!

Heh, I've been under carbs, over protein for ages. I finally decided to cut down on meat (not that I've done so that much) and now I'm under carbs and fine (or close enough to fine) on protein, but over fat, consistently. I think I'm the only person on MFP who seems to want to eat more carbs than she is.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Red13 wrote: »
    Just trying to suggest different things for OP, if you ask me, tofu is disgusting. And I do enjoy what I suggested, I agree the hemp protein on its own isn't good but who would eat it that way. It's up to me to make it good

Tofu can be delicious if prepared correctly.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Yes, all of this.

At a deficit when sedentary (1250) 35% protein worked for me. After I got more active I did the Zone macros for a while. At a more reasonable deficit when active 50-25-25 is better. There's no need for me to get more than 100 g of protein, no matter the percentage it is.

To elaborate on this, the research suggests there's some benefit (despite the RDA, the China Study, and the insistence of some militant but youthful vegans), to keeping protein around .65-.85 grams per lb of healthy body weight (for me, I took .8 of my current weight, which is within the healthy zone, to get 100 grams). This is supposed to help with maintaining muscle mass at a deficit or growing it at a surplus. (If I was at a surplus I might try for more, though.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ]

I'm on a diet to help with the microbiom of the gut and the coach said to do 40%protein,30%fat, and 30%carbs. I think the reason my be that the carbs feed the yeast inside us which lead to inflammation or something but don't hold me to that. May be a different reason.

I suspect veg (carbs) would be a good thing to train the gut on. Certainly ability to deal with veg seems to be what is lost if one eats a poor diet. But whatever.