Any advice or motivation would really be appreciated..

Options
Hi everyone..
I am new to myfitnesspal and was hoping that some of you out there would add me as a friend and give me some advice and motivation.
I am trying to loose post baby weight.
I gained 4 stone whilst pregnant with my son and went from a size 10 to a size 16.
I am now a size 14 and weigh 11st1lb, but I am so unhappy with my body. I really would like some help and advice on how people have used myfitnesspal to help them with their weight loss journey and any tips would be grately appreciated. I would also like to know if anyone has success from only dieting and not exercising? Thank you for your time and help in advance and all the best to everyone on the same journey. X

Replies

• Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    By losing the extra "o" in loose you will have the word lose. When you lose weight your clothes will be loose.
  • nellie_579
    nellie_579 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My first piece of advice would be have you spoken with your doctor? Get a full checkup and perhaps blood work done to make sure there is nothing that needs to be addressed medically.

Second, be sensible. Most people need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day to just have healthy brain and body functions. Don't think you can cut your calories down to say 900 per day and expect to maintain it.

Third, as horrible as working out sounds it will help! There are things you can do to help without even leaving the house. Instagram has a wealth of people that post-exercise routines they do at home. Plus there are apps that work with Myfitness Pal that help you track how many calories you are burning off (I use Runkeeper {yes you can track your walks} it is pretty amazing).

I was 308lb pounds and managed to get down to 205lb without exercise, but couldn't lose any more after that no matter how hard i tried. I started working out and now am down to about 169lb and still going down (keep in mind i am 5ft 9 and i do weights 3 times a week).

Forth, get someone on your side. Make yourself accountable to someone else, this really really helps!

Fifth, be honest. It's ok to eat chocolate, but put it in!

I hope that helps.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Rach199xx wrote: »
    Hi everyone..
    I am new to myfitnesspal and was hoping that some of you out there would add me as a friend and give me some advice and motivation.
    I am trying to loose post baby weight.
    I gained 4 stone whilst pregnant with my son and went from a size 10 to a size 16.
    I am now a size 14 and weigh 11st1lb, but I am so unhappy with my body. I really would like some help and advice on how people have used myfitnesspal to help them with their weight loss journey and any tips would be grately appreciated. I would also like to know if anyone has success from only dieting and not exercising? Thank you for your time and help in advance and all the best to everyone on the same journey. X

Hi and welcome
    There are lots of people who have lost huge amounts of weight with diet alone, some like me have a disability, others have their own reasons. Weight loss starts in the kitchen

The most valuable piece of advice I can give you is read and re read the helpful sticky posts at the top of the losing weight section. There is a mine of information on this site. I spent weeks reading through posts, tips and recipes before I actually spoke to anyone lol
    Also check out the success stories section. This is my goto when I'm having a weak moment and need a motivation boost
    Most of all, believe in yourself and be true to yourself.
    You can do it xx

Edited to add I'm sending you a friend request
  • star1407
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    By losing the extra "o" in loose you will have the word lose. When you lose weight your clothes will be loose.

As much as this spelling mistake annoys me, do you really think that's a nice or helpful way for a new poster to be "welcomed" to the forum on her first post??
  • abidinhim
    abidinhim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nellie, that was awesome advice! There are great motivational videos on Youtube. Eric Thomas (ET the hiphop preacher) motivates the heck out of me!! Remember why you are doing this! Being healthy so that you can be around for your children that you just gave birth too. Keep in mind that muscle burns fat, and keeps burning fat even after you have finished your workout. Low impact cardio (elliptical/ bike) is also good when you are starting out do you don't get hurt. Once more weight comes off, you can run outside or on treadmill. I burn more calories when I run. Water is essential. Don't skip out on hydration. If you are lifting a lot, protein will help with muscle soreness. Bananas are great, but Avocados are better for that as well. I used to use a protein powder especially for women, so that I wouldn't bulk up when I lifted a lot. Hope this helps! You can do it!!!!
  • zagsfan4ever
    zagsfan4ever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am currently taking a class and we are talking about something called the Slight Edge. The Slight Edge is about the really little tiny things that we do in our lives that we may not think make a difference. Well they do! Things such as taking the stairs rather than an elevator, makin coffee at home rather than spending some at the coffee shop. Things like that. Although I've only read a couple of chapters it is actually a pretty inspiring book! I would recommend it. And also it has helped me realize that about my weight loss...little things eventually will make a difference! So instead of satisfying my sweet tooth with a giant chocolate bar I went and bought some sweet clementines at the store and keep them at my desk at work. I'm walking a lot more and having this app makes me want to reach my daily step goals even more!! Keep a positive attitude and persevere!! You can do it! :)
  • star1407
    Options
    Hi there! I am currently taking a class and we are talking about something called the Slight Edge. The Slight Edge is about the really little tiny things that we do in our lives that we may not think make a difference. Well they do! Things such as taking the stairs rather than an elevator, makin coffee at home rather than spending some at the coffee shop. Things like that. Although I've only read a couple of chapters it is actually a pretty inspiring book! I would recommend it. And also it has helped me realize that about my weight loss...little things eventually will make a difference! So instead of satisfying my sweet tooth with a giant chocolate bar I went and bought some sweet clementines at the store and keep them at my desk at work. I'm walking a lot more and having this app makes me want to reach my daily step goals even more!! Keep a positive attitude and persevere!! You can do it! :)

I like the sound of that. The little things all add up
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »

As much as this spelling mistake annoys me, do you really think that's a nice or helpful way for a new poster to be "welcomed" to the forum on her first post??

Actually I thought that was a pretty nice way to give someone a heads up about a word they will be using a lot. No need for them to look like a fool.
  • dbahelenparr
    dbahelenparr Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I LOVE this idea and am currently using this approach because it seems more sustainable than being overly restrictive with entire food groups or doing punishing amounts of exercise. In regard to OP's question, my experience has been that for weight loss diet/nutrition is way more important than exercise, but exercise is important for overall health and fitness, as well as a nice boost to a proper diet.