how much protein ?

Options
Hey everyone,

I want to start gaining some muscle and just curious of how much protein I should have per day?

Does anyone know the ratio? (in metric preferably)

And should I customize my macros as I don't know how much of anything I really need in a day at the moment per day it says I need 25g of protein... to me that sounds low.

If anyone can help me with customizing my macros (fat, fibre, sugar, carbs, protein) would be great help.

Also, food labels, is there a percentage of certain macros I should stay under with the serving size ?

Thank you.

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Macros does not include fiber and sugar. Macros are only carbs fat protien. A good site to find both your macros and protien is iifym check that out as a good starting place.

Also I don't understand your food label question. You get the percent and the percent represents the amount of protien fat or carbs you should have in grams.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    My macros are Carbs 40% Fat 30% Protein 30% that's about 140g protein daily.

So 25g protein is way too low to build or preserve muscle.
  • littlehokie10
    littlehokie10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depends on your size, but I aim for 100g of protein a day, I lift weights and crossfit.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think it's a minimum of 1g per kilo of lean mass. I forget the higher recommendations as I was interested in bare minimums for folks working out (it can be even lower for sedentary folks). 25g sounds way too low for muscle, yeah.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is more than just macros. You will need a solid program with progressive overload. And calories in a surplus. Newbie gains can be achieved only in the beginning without a surplus.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    Also most of your diet should be carbs at least 40% or more (mine is at 60%). So many people get way more protien then their body needs and then neglect carbs.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Also most of your diet should be carbs at least 40% or more (mine is at 60%). So many people get way more protien then their body needs and then neglect carbs.

No........I am not a carb guy or an anti carb guy....... But no.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein per lb of body weight is a standard for many who lift and are looking to gain muscle. It is my goal and works very well for me. 25 grams of protein is extremely low-you really can not build muscle on that. Do not forget a good amount of fat as well, it is essential.
  • tillerstouch
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

No........I am not a carb guy or an anti carb guy....... But no.

What do you purpose then filling your diet with protien your body doesn't need? Or filling it with fat?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Read the first post in this thread, you should find it very helpful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1