To all runners:

Options
I want to start running, but i don't know how to start. Is there a specific time thats best for running? Any tips would be great. Thanks :D

Replies

• wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    When I started out running I got a book called, " Non_Runners Guide to Running a Marathon." Now, you don't have to train to run an actual marathon, unless you want to, but it has a lot of good advice. Or go to runnersworld.com One of the best runners websites out there with lots of great information,...
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i'll check out both sites, and i thinking of starting tomorrow.... perferably morning!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    The best thing about running for exercise is you can do it just about anytime, anywhere (provided the weather cooperates!). I used Couch to 5K, and I don't have a specific time to run--just whenever I can fit it into my schedule. Of course, since right now it is VERY hot and humid where I live, before 8 am or after 7 pm is best. In the winter I can be more flexible. But I'd rather be hot than cold!!
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    You are going to get a ton of advice on this topic.

1. Get fitted by a runner's store for a quality pair of shoes that works with your running gate. Many stores will video you running a few minutes and play it back in slow-mo to analyze what your feet are doing.
    2. Get dry-fit running apparel, and a solid running bra (the ladies can help you here).
    3. Hydrate a little more on your running days.
    4. Consider getting a Heart Rate monitor to make sure you are pacing yourself properly.
    5. Start sloooooow. Run 1 min, walk 1 min. Do not get in a hurry to add mileage or you risk shin splints and other nasties.
    6. Subscribe to Runner's World Magazine or their website to soak up as much good info as you can.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    - Get good shoes
    - Don't go at an all-out sprint; pace yourself
    - Interval training like C25K is good, but you can also just work up to building running mileage between periods of walking.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Make sure its not your only exercise! Its important to build up supportive muscles so you don't hurt yourself down the line. Squats, lunges and wall sits are all great.

Don't fall into the mental "I have to run without stopping or it doesn't count!!" trap, like the others said, interval training is a great way to start.

Get decent shoes!

Run upright, don't let yourself slouch forward. Don't ball up your fists or your neck and shoulders will hurt later.

Walk a little to warm up first and then stretch a ton!! Stretch when you're done too and you will be waaaaaaaaaaay less sore the next day.
  • Jamazurunner
    Jamazurunner Posts: 132
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running!

In addition to all the info posted from previous folks, make sure you take your time when you start training. I originally walked a minute, then ran two minutes. Slow and steady progressions will help build your endurance!

Best of luck!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

Just from my experience doing C25K. If your struggling to make it through your probably jogging to fast. Pace yourself, even if you feel like your going slow, you'll get faster as you go.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Agreed, I have NEVER been a runner and I just started this and I actually LOVE IT!!!
  • mdickhaut
    mdickhaut Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love couch to 5k. I wasn't a runner 6 weeks ago, but I am on my way.

Run anytime. I prefer running in the morning, because it helps me stick to my diet, I feel more energized, and I have time to relax after work.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I second Couch 25K - totally works! :)
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options

This is an awesome program! I have been able to build up my running time with no injuries.