Book suggestions - on nutrition

Options
I am just hearing about a new book called "always hungry" by Dr David Ludwig.

Has anyone read it? What do ya think?

Let me know if you've read anything recently that informed inspired motivated or educated you.
Cheers!

Replies

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    These don't contain tons of nutritional information directly, but I really enjoyed "Diet Cults" by Matt Fitzgerald. Lots of good info about why we eat the way we do and whether the fads have any science behind them (hint: usually not). Very similar to that one is "The Gluten Lie" by Alan Levinovitz.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Interesting? The China Study.
    Informative? Eat to live by Dr. Fuhrman
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Even more interesting are all the subsequent studies which completely debunk the China Study. You can start at Sciencebasedmedicine.org - The China Study Revisited

[ETA:] I'm actually looking forward to reading The Muscle and Strength Nutrition Pyramid e-book by Eric Helms. Helms is a solid, evidence-based researcher and is strongly backed by other reliable people in the field.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It was a fun read. Interesting. I take things with a grain of salt. I can't imagine ever giving up meat and dairy.
    * That link is very interesting.
  • p0nderful
    p0nderful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just purchased "Always Hungry". I have read that it is poorly organized, but contains good information. My exercise program is solid, but I have tried numerous eating plans and none have worked very well. Hope springs eternal!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like "The Omnivore's Dilemma" or anything by Michael Pollan. His books are available in my library system so maybe yours as well.

"Pollan (The Botany of Desire) examines what he calls "our national eating disorder" (the Atkins craze, the precipitous rise in obesity) in this remarkably clearheaded book. It's a fascinating journey up and down the food chain, one that might change the way you read the label on a frozen dinner, dig into a steak or decide whether to buy organic eggs. You'll certainly never look at a Chicken McNugget the same way again.

Pollan approaches his mission not as an activist but as a naturalist: "The way we eat represents our most profound engagement with the natural world." All food, he points out, originates with plants, animals and fungi. "[E]ven the deathless Twinkie is constructed out of... well, precisely what I don't know offhand, but ultimately some sort of formerly living creature, i.e., a species. We haven't yet begun to synthesize our foods from petroleum, at least not directly."

Pollan's narrative strategy is simple: he traces four meals back to their ur-species. He starts with a McDonald's lunch, which he and his family gobble up in their car. Surprise: the origin of this meal is a cornfield in Iowa. Corn feeds the steer that turns into the burgers, becomes the oil that cooks the fries and the syrup that sweetens the shakes and the sodas, and makes up 13 of the 38 ingredients (yikes) in the Chicken McNuggets.Indeed, one of the many eye-openers in the book is the prevalence of corn in the American diet; of the 45,000 items in a supermarket, more than a quarter contain corn. Pollan meditates on the freakishly protean nature of the corn plant and looks at how the food industry has exploited it, to the detriment of everyone from farmers to fat-and-getting-fatter Americans. Besides Stephen King, few other writers have made a corn field seem so sinister.

Later, Pollan prepares a dinner with items from Whole Foods, investigating the flaws in the world of "big organic"; cooks a meal with ingredients from a small, utopian Virginia farm; and assembles a feast from things he's foraged and hunted.

This may sound earnest, but Pollan isn't preachy: he's too thoughtful a writer, and too dogged a researcher, to let ideology take over. He's also funny and adventurous. He bounces around on an old International Harvester tractor, gets down on his belly to examine a pasture from a cow's-eye view, shoots a wild pig and otherwise throws himself into the making of his meals. I'm not convinced I'd want to go hunting with Pollan, but I'm sure I'd enjoy having dinner with him. Just as long as we could eat at a table, not in a Toyota."
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'd find an up to date (LOL, I know, but shut up, they don't know that) college human nutrition textbook...read that, and then decide for yourself as you branch out from there.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I've already been successfully using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques and am currently listening to this on my mp3 player, courtesy of my library:

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've already been successfully using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques and am currently listening to this on my mp3 player, courtesy of my library:

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

im reading this as well and I am hopeful. I have always thought that true success will come if my brain is committed to to it and this book seems to be on that path....

would love to trade notes with you...

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    My favorite is "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan.

I might read that Ludwig book, but I think he's one of the "sugar is evil" authors who is pretty controversial.

Fuhrman isn't a bad read but he's pretty controversial, too. He recommends a very restrictive diet, and has some kind of baseless belief that onions and mushrooms are superfoods.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The best book I've found (and I've read dozens) is "The Rosedale Diet", by Dr. Ron Rosedale. It's been my bible, I always go back to it, and it helped me lose over 35 lbs without ever being hungry. It reduces Leptin, and Insulin, the same thing I believe Ludwig preaches. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I am just hearing about a new book called "always hungry" by Dr David Ludwig.

Has anyone read it? What do ya think?

Let me know if you've read anything recently that informed inspired motivated or educated you.
    Cheers!
    I'm picking at it; there is a good write up about the book and the faulty thoughts therein. Best nutrition book last year I read was Pollan In Defense of Food. A good read for runners is Fitgerald's Racing Weight.

• katefitness8
    katefitness8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Even more interesting are all the subsequent studies which completely debunk the China Study. You can start at Sciencebasedmedicine.org - The China Study Revisited

Agreed. And that links to one of Denise Minger's pieces. A more comprehensive site for those (which are interesting) is here: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

Her stuff is pretty thoughtful in general, including her Death by Food Pyramid book.

I also second the recommendation for Diet Cults, above.

Brian Wansink's book Mindless Eating and the follow up (forget the title) are interesting on why many people tend to overeat in a way that made me more conscious of things.

For more general nutrition stuff in a popularized way, Marion Nestle's What to Eat is pretty good, Michael Pollan's stuff is enjoyable (although about a lot more than nutrition), Walter Willett's Eat Drink and Be Healthy informative but I have reservations about it (I think he's more restrictive than necessary). Reading about the ways people eat in blue zones can be worthwhile (Dan Buettner has a variety of books on this).

For quick and reliable information on nutrition, I tend to recommend the Harvard Nutrition site and David Katz's various articles (he is at Yale, so I'm giving balance). For inspiration I don't really go to nutrition books, although I do find them interesting. I'd say read anything with a critical mind.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Katz and Minger are great reads as Lemurcat mentioned. I received Cholesterol Clarity (Jimmy Moore with Dr Eric Westman) last evening. A snowstorm is coming so I'll go through this book over the weekend. I also ordered a Volek book and hopefully it arrives before the snow. I have an older book by Volek and I'd like to see how his views have changed over time.