6 months in

Options
patesq
patesq Posts: 111 Member
Six months ago today, DH and I joined the local gym, kind of on a whim. Our first visit was that night and I managed to do 40 minutes on the treadmill and burned 200ish calories. It was a struggle and my heartrate skyrocketed and took forever to come down. I decided to go on my own the next morning. Somehow, without much planning, I've gone twice a day, except Sunday when I take the morning off, without skipping a single visit. I now alternate an hour endurance ride on the bike with a half hour of HIIT training in the mornings. In the evenings, DH and I do strength training. I now burn 800ish calories on my long rides and my heartrate comes down astoundingly quickly. My strength is increasing and just last night, I was showing the gym manager a new shoulder exercise and he mentioned how nicely my back muscles are coming along.

I discovered MFP a couple of months in and now track my food. Although I made a conscious decision to not deny myself anything, it's helped me make better choices. I still have an occasional piece of chocolate and enjoyed some Christmas cookies but they fit within my calorie limit.

My starting weight was 247 lbs and have lost 79.4 lbs. I am about 13 lbs from the top end of my healthy weight range, which I find unbelievable. I have lost 14 inches from my waist, 8.5 inches from my hips and 8 inches from my chest. I actually enjoy shopping for clothes. I even bought a formal dress for a black tie event this weekend - we haven't gotten that dressed up since our wedding almost 22 years ago. I'm not sure I'll get to wear it due to the expected storm though. It's wonderful shopping in the normal sizes rather than the plus sizes.

I am 51 years old and have never been athletic. I can't say I love working out but I do enjoy the improvements I see and get fidgety if we work out late. I have no idea why this stuck this time. I had no health issues, no doctor tried to scare me into this. There was nothing specific that happened.

I still have 32 pounds to go (I can't believe how small that number seems compared to the 112 I had to lose when I started) and I'm certain it can be done. I know the last pounds will be harder than the first ones but, thankfully, the habits are now well-established so I'm optimistic that I will make it through the slower loss rate without getting too frustrated.

If you're just starting out, take beginning photos. I didn't and it's frustrating not to have a before photo to compare against. Also, take measurements. I didn't until about 3 weeks in so I don't know my true size decrease. Consider an activity tracker. DH got me a Fitbit about two months after I started this - I love having the record of my workouts. The challenges encourage me to keep moving - I guess I can be competitive!

Anyway, good luck to all and keep sharing the success stories, they are so inspiring.

Replies

• ardenspark
    ardenspark Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Enjoy your formal event!!!
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    c:
    loved reading this. gl and gj.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, thanks for sharing. I have about 30 pounds left to lose and it is slow coming off for me. But I have conditioned myself to eat better, so I won't gain significant weight while eating this way. Even if I am not losing, I might as well eat better. Good luck going forward. Great story, you should be proud of yourself.
  • southportmom2fab5
    southportmom2fab5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Carry on your great work! Love your attitude.
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    congrats
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done well! Thanks so much for sharing, I'm your age, and this is very inspirational. :smile:
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You have done beautifully! Keep up the amazing work, and thanks for the inspiration!
  • patesq
    Options
    Thanks for all of the kind thoughts. We braved the storm and made it there and back. I have a couple pictures but they're not great. The picture on the left is the most recent "before" picture I have and it's from November 2014. The pictures on the right are from this weekend. 86g192bda4gw.jpg
    And yes, I'm wearing my FitBit!
  • Lallen377
    Lallen377 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I took before pics. Im 2 weeks in. Cant wait to see good results.
  • patesq
    Options
    Lallen377 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I took before pics. Im 2 weeks in. Cant wait to see good results.
    Fantastic! This is something I didn't do - you will be so glad you have current "before" pictures. Also, take your measurements. You don't have to update them often, I do it once a month so there's a measurable difference. Good luck! Can't wait to see your successes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!