Fitbit vs. Iphone step counter

I don't want to purchase a fitbit if the iPhone step tracker is as accurate. I know they both calculate calorie on activity but do they give same calorie reading?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I can't answer the question about calorie reading but there are some benefits to the FitBit that you don't get with the phone. The phone has to be on you all the time in order for it catch all your steps. The FitBit is worn on your wrist so it is always on you. I also like the sleep tracker. I had no idea I was awake at night so often. Honestly, unless I am running a 5k or doing some major walking, I don't eat back the calories I get from my FitBit. I use it motivate myself to stay active.
  • asyk805
    asyk805 Posts: 125 Member
    I don't want to shell out the money for the Fit Bit yet so I use the iPhone tracker. Whether it's accurate or not I don't know but I do know it has helped me increase my activity and while it may log some steps that aren't really steps I also don't always have it on me so it misses a few steps. I like to think it evens out in the end but even if it doesn't it's still better than nothing and allows me to try to beat my steps for previous days.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    If you use your hands to talk, Fitbit thinks you're walking. iPhone doesn't. I'm not a fan of Fitbit. I think they are overpriced pieces of crap. It's a gimmick.

well that's a bit harsh!!!

I have a fitbit zip. No matter how much I wave my hands around, it doesn't register, because it is clipped to my bra. It cost me Forty of your English Pounds. It syncs with a website and records my steps automatically, and also with MFP. I could if need be get a cheap pedometer for £20, and a notebook and pen to write down the steps at the end of every day, but the Fitbit records everything and puts them into a little graph for me to see way back when. I can also compete with a friend. If you want something that records your steps, and allows you to measure your activity level over time and try and increase how active you are, then it does what it is supposed to. I suppose in that way it is a gimmick.

I COULD also use my Iphone to record steps, but then I'd have to take it everywhere with me. Also, were I to take up twerking as a hobby, it would think I was walking when I clearly wasn't.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I type and work on a phone all day long. I am also an interpreter for the deaf so I literally talk with my hands. My FitBit only counts my steps if I am physically walking. I've never had it count my "talking". Not sure if mine is different than others. I have the simple one without the HRM.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited January 2016
    I type and work on a phone all day long. I am also an interpreter for the deaf so I literally talk with my hands. My FitBit only counts my steps if I am physically walking. I've never had it count my "talking". Not sure if mine is different than others. I have the simple one without the HRM.

Totally agree. I have the flex and mine has never counted moving my hands. With the fitbit, I have to set my stride so it can monitor steps more accurately. I personally like mine but to each is their own.