does anyone struggle some weeks losing?

Options
I'm only losing 1lb a week. I cheated for one day since Jan 1 and gained 2 lbs...why is it so easy for me to gain and so hard for me to lose? I've gone a whole week without losing. Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Most people do. It can be due to water weight, hormones, weight of food in your gut (it my be low cal but it may weigh a lot or be high volume)- it will go eventually- just keep going. Good luck.

P.s Try tracking your monthly cycle with an app- there are loads available. This will give you some insight into when to expect a water gain or increase in hunger. Its not just PMS but a lot of women experience this during ovulation too.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you start gaining weight it's time to either cut more calories or do more cardio.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. I've had weeks at a time where I didn't lose even eating at a deficit, I chalk it up to water or whatever, because ultimately I stick with it and do continue to lose.
    Of course, you need to pay close attention to your intake, to make sure that your calorie intake does not exceed your calories used.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how often you weigh urself, but if you do it daily (u can track on the app happy scales) u will see what the general pattern is... Yesterday I weighed 3 lbs more then today... today I hit an all time low... If I would have been upset yesterday and given up, I wouldn't have seen todays achievements..

Good luck
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week is a great rate of loss.

weight loss is not linear. some weeks you lose, some your gain, and some you stay the same.

bj18s9d98zf9.jpg
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you lose more, some less and some nothing at all.
    If you are sure your are logging food correctly, and not overestimating your exercise calories, your situation is completely normal.
  • princess2408
    princess2408 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies. You've encouraged me to keep on track.
  • ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree, you should look into downloading the free app "happy scale." It tracks real weight as well as predicted weight based off of trends. It's especially encouraging if you are at a standstill!
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My scale is wonky. Like right now, I weight 174.5. Scale says 176. Scale is wrong. Here in about 2-3 days, it will say 173. Then 2 days later it will bounce to 175. I just wait for the low numbers and track those. No point in having a weight loss thing that says 199,197,198,195,197, ect Now, if I suddenly saw 176, 177, 178 THEN I have a problem.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i don't lose every week. i stay the same and then wooosh, lose a few pounds
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This is good stuff to keep reading over and over again :)
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am definitely right there with you. I struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. When I finally decided to become dedicated to leading a healthier lifestyle, I was able to take of the extra 75(+/-)lbs within 11-12months. I was super dedicated, on my own going away to school (no boyfriend and no family to distract me) so it was really easy to take it all off. I had a super active job (on my feet walking all over for the entire shift) and I was constantly using my schools gym, before class, in between class, after class...etc.

However, once I moved back home, met my (now) Husband, and changed to a much more sedentary job, things changed. My life style changed! I wanted to be happy and enjoy life so I gave up on being super strict and tracking everything to the ounce. I started gaining weight and before I knew it I was up 15 pounds and maintaining there. I was super frustrated about why it was so much harder for me to maintain without being super strict, than say my husband or my sisters who are super stick thin and seemingly can eat whatever they want.
    I also was just recently diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which is a very common syndrome that affects our hormones. I realized that because of my hormones being wonky, this is what was making it "harder" for me to lose weight/maintain weight and not be able to eat the way my sisters do. It was also why I was always extremely over weight from childhood (In addition to my poor eating habits)
    Once I stopped having a pity party for myself (boohoo why is it so much harder for me/why do I have PCOS??) I decided to take back control of my body and have come back here to monitor what I'm eating. I've successfully lost about 8 pounds already and am about 8-10 pounds away from my happy goal weight range.
    Not to say it hasn't been HARD though. Much harder than the first time. With leading such a different lifestyle than I was 4 years ago, it can be a little frustrating not seeing the pounds come off like they did back then. It sometimes makes me want to give up! But I have to remind myself that things are different now and that losing weight, any amount is progress towards being happier and healthier. Everything can affect your progress and make it more frustrating, hormones especially!
    Set backs happen to even the best, most dedicated of us! Don't let it deter you from moving forward. Just re-evaluate where you're at and take it as a lesson learned. "I felt really frustrated the other day and ate something I knew was going to put me over my calories and now I've gained "X" amount and feel even more frustrated." Use that frustration as a reminder that maybe you shouldn't eat those extra calories because you think you feel hungry or you are angry/upset/frustrated/sad/etc. Or if you really want those extra calories, work out a little harder. Or....treat yourself! Realize it's just one week in the grand scheme of things, take the extra added weight (which might only be bloat anyways!) and push forward determined to be refueled to reach your goal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    If you start gaining weight it's time to either cut more calories or do more cardio.

I gain twice a month - when I ovulate and right before I get my period. However, the overall trend is down.

odl1g30xgsk5.png
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It's tricky for women. We retain more water than men due to PMS/hormones etc. For us it's not enough to just "eat less" because eating less could make you gain more weight when your body starts going into some sort of hibernation mode, lol. It starts producing fat thinking you need it when in reality you're starving yourself trying to lose fat. Don't do that, eat all your calories and remember that we fluctuate 1-2lbs daily.

Keep at it, one day it may drop all at once. If you don't see any changes in a few weeks at all then it would be time to evaluate your diet.