Runner's Mouth...What. In. The. World?!

Options
Does anyone out there experience runner's mouth? I know it is totally gross but what in the world? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can not get this?

I've tried different chap sticks, lip gloss, nothing etc and I still get the same sticky "goupe" after a long run. Not cool! HELP!

Replies

• BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    WTH is that????
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If it's what I think you're talking about, I know one runner who keeps a small bottle of mouth spray in her pocket or fanny pack. i'm sure you could try something like that - you could even get your own bottle and mix up a lemon and water something or other to use at intervals.
  • frenchielover
    Options
    Its not attractive but I tend to try and spit that **** out along the way while I'm running otherwise I fear I may end up choking.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what you mean. Do you mean getting phlegmy? I just end up spitting along the way (one of the reasons I like running outside).
  • gobigorange2916
    gobigorange2916 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have heard chewing gum, or sucking on hard candy (not chomping it) while you're running/ working out helps.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I've tried different chap sticks, lip gloss, nothing etc and I still get the same sticky "goupe" after a long run. Not cool! HELP!

Wow - I thought this was just me! I get it even if I'm chewing gum or wearing chapstick or whatever... I get a thick sticky buildup at the corners of my mouth... like concentrated mucus or something like that. (Sorry, I know that sounds gross...) Mostly on my longer runs, but occasionally on shorter runs too. It doesn't build up in my mouth in any noticeable way... just the corners.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    *pukes*

Nah, it's normal.
  • corimac
    corimac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My runners mouth problem probably has more to do with swearing when I notice a hill.

Seriously, I never run without gum or I get a slimy yucky feeling in my mouth.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    You bet it happens! I tend to get it on longer runs 60+ minutes, but that's what my sleeve is for.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this is
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean exactly. I chew gum on all my runs as I breathe through my mouth.
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    My runners mouth problem probably has more to do with swearing when I notice a hill.

Hilarious!:laugh:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Gum helps me. But I still have to spit sometimes. It reminds me of a dog with rabies (foaming at the mouth). I only get it when I'm pushing myself.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow...I really wish I hadn't read this thread...especially while eating. *gags* lol.

Well, Im new to running-well lets be honest, it takes me 12-14 minutes to do a mile. Im a trotter lol- and have not had this happen yet....ewwwww.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    a little dried saliva never hurt anyone. :wink:
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I love this! I tried running with gum once and it got all slimy and gross, so I tried to spit it out...ended up in my hair...remember the song about spitting into the wind...lesson learned on that one!

I swear at hills too!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    That white stuff that gathers at the corner of your mouth? Yeah, I get that. It's due to dehydration. Keep up your water levels!