Joggin/Running - Lower Back Issues

Nikkerz620
Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone jog/run that has bad lower back issues?

I do and I find the more I jog the more issues I have with my back.

But I LOVE it and I want to get back into it.

Anyone have this issue and any suggestions?

I only run on the treadmill and have cushy shoes to lower the impact.:glasses:

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Could be your posture, could be your running form, could be wrong/worn out shoes, could be a lot of things.
    Might sound a little crazy but you could also try a few minutes running barefoot on the TM & see how your back feels. If that helps then it was probably your running form that was bad.
  • I have lower back issues...sciatic nerve. My physcial therapist told me to make sure I stretch alot before and after I run or jog. Also to change my shoes. I do alot of the ellipitical machine so It wouldn't be so much pounding on the treadmill which affects your back as well. Hope this helps.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    I have a herniated disk in my back... but run anyways. I find running is one of the few things that actually helps though...

The longer I sit, or lay around, the worse my back gets. I found changing my stride helped big time as well.

I agree with Rybo... try running on the treadmill barefoot. When you run barefoot, your body returns to a more natural stride (out of necessity) and you tend to plant your weight more to your fore foot. You no longer have all that cushioning that promotes heavy heel striking.

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.