Scale Withdrawls

Options
So- I've decided I'm only going to weigh myself once a week. I put a sticky note on my scale with the word "NO" on it and I'm determined to wait a full week before getting on it again.

I had no idea what an addiction I had (have) to climbing up on that little thing! I would sometimes weigh myself 4 times a day! Even now when I wake up in the morning I feel a little sad knowing I can't step on my BFF/ Worst Enemy and get my lowest readout for the day.

2 days down......is it Tuesday yet?

Replies

• sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I am a serious addict too. I weigh at work (hospital) and I'm trying to resist the urge to weigh cuz i've weighed twice this week already
  • juschmiedel
    Options
    Way more accurate to weigh in first thing in the morning, same day every week, after using the lavatory!
  • GARider
    GARider Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Stacy and I'm a scale addict too :happy: I used to do the same thing; weighing myself multiple times a day, getting pissed off because I was up and down all the time. I have started to go every other day; I am not as strong as you yet. There is no way in hell I could go a full week yet. You are not alone.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Strange addiction, but I guess it it not a bad one. It is really not good to weigh yourself everyday and especially not multiple times a day. Your weight can easily fluctuate throughout the day and using the "lowest readout of the day" may not be the best gauge of your weight.

I weigh myself once a week and only once a week. I always weigh myself every Monday morning right when I wake up. This way I can get a more accurate change in my weight and avoid any inconsistencies that may occur with food intake/activity levels throughout the day.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    My roomate borrowed my scale for a work project... It's been two days and I'm freaking out! Nothing like quitting cold turkey... but maybe it's a good thing
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I've been weighing myself every single morning for the past year and a half and it makes me a little panicky when I don't. I think its that sense of control! I had to wean myself off it and weigh only once a week and to not even contemplate going near it when I'm due on my t.o.m. However, I don't think I'll ever be able to wean myself off logging my food.
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Envisioning your scale w/ a sticky note screaming "NO" at you makes me giggle. My mother-in-law to be has had the same problem. I've encouraged her to do body measurements instead.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    LOL! I feel you! I tried to do a 30 day scale detox and only lasted 2 weeks! But, ACTUALLY, studies have shown that people that weigh more frequently control their weight better/long term. HOWEVER, weighing daily is NOT for you if you don't understand and accept that our body weight fluctuates daily, sometimes a few pounds.... so, if that is something that would bother you to see, you shouldn't weigh daily. And if you do weigh daily, you should really only weigh once per day, at the same time of day. Mornings, on an empty stomach after using the potty will give you the lowest reading!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh myself every morning. I freak out if the scale is moved.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I'm obsessed with weighing right after workouts, too! It's nice to see the scale drop from loss of water weight, even though I know that it will go back up the next day! I'm slowly weening myself off and only weighing on Sundays!
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I tried weighing on Mondays only in the beginning. Even went as far as allowing my daughter to hide the scale from me.

Now I weigh every morning as soon as I get up.

I am a scale addict. I dont plan on changing LOL
  • Tencie0615
    Tencie0615 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    im tencie and im addicted to the scale too.....i weigh myself in the morning and at night right before going to bed...i cant go an entire day must less a whole week....i would have scale withdrawls
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I have to weigh myself every morning. I freak out if the scale is moved.

haha, me too! One time my flatmate lent our scale to her friend to weigh her luggage and I freaked out the entire week till I got it back. I swear I need to chain it to my bed or something next time :P
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I'm an addict too.
    I weigh myself every morning.

I only "officially" log my weight once a week (on Fridays).

Unofficially, I record my weight on MFP every day as a "food note". :bigsmile:
  • LaraRN
    LaraRN Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone. What is wrong with weighing in every day? i'm just curious because it's something i do and i feel like the reason i put on so much weight is because i stopped looking at the scale and lost track.... Here I am about 25lbs later! :o(
  • corimac
    corimac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone. What is wrong with weighing in every day? i'm just curious because it's something i do and i feel like the reason i put on so much weight is because i stopped looking at the scale and lost track.... Here I am about 25lbs later! :o(

I agree, and do plan to weigh daily again in the future. I'm only cutting back to once a week while I'm trying to lose. I feel a little obsessive right now so I decided to go with the once weekly until I've hit my goal weight.
  • Emsj27
    Emsj27 Posts: 7
    Options
    i weigh in every morning and it helps keep me on track, even if it goes up half a pound i make sure im super good that day!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options

There's absolutely nothing, NOTHING wrong with weighing once a day, or more than once a day if you're a super curious person... provided the number on the scale doesn't send you into a sobbing frenzy or ruin your day.

I weigh at least once a day in the mornings, sometimes more just to see (I'm a curious person). I record my weight every morning and then track the moving average of the past five days - if that trend line is going down, I am on the right track. Basically, your weight will fluctuate day-to-day (and certainly fluctuates a lot during any given day!), so the more data points you have, the better idea you have of your actual weight, say by taking the average. This also means that you won't risk weighing two or three weeks in a row on your randomly "high" days (where your weight just naturally fluctuated up on that day of the week) and thinking that you're in a plateau when you're not.

That said, sometimes it can be hard for someone to see the fluctuations and not get stressed out, so for those people it makes sense to switch to less frequent weighing, I think.

Really, though, bottom line is I think it's a personal thing, and everyone should do what they're comfortable with. :)
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Julie and I am a scale addict. I weigh my self before I go to bed and in the morning after using the bathroom. Though I weigh daily, I only use Saturday number as my official weight loss number. And I don't plan on changing it. Thank you. :wink:
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options

There's absolutely nothing, NOTHING wrong with weighing once a day, or more than once a day if you're a super curious person... provided the number on the scale doesn't send you into a sobbing frenzy or ruin your day.

I agree. I even read that it's a common habit of people who successfully lose weight and then keep it off.
    As you say Stephanie, it's about personal preference.