Why can I do everything but jog?

Options
I started really working out aFew weeks ago. I noticed for an hour, I can do the elliptical with 10 incline and 8 resistance, the stair stepper, stationary bike, the cross trainer, and the incline trainer at a 2.5 speed and 15% incline. I even hiked about 5 miles Sunday with no problem. All of which had my heart rate up between 160-175 consistently. I feel like being able to stay on these machines isn't all that difficult even though I'm really sweating.

Yet I can't jog for anymore then 2 minutes without getting out of breath, is that normal?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Jogging/running is hard. I think yes, it's normal.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    are you jogging outside, or on a treadmill? It is so easy to jog faster than your fitness level because of preconceived notions of what "running" is...slow down and you can go longer (the impact on your body is also a factor)
  • jacki865
    jacki865 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ehh both really. I realized I can do a light jog on a trail for a little longer but not for an hour. The treadmill on street pavement usually will either hurt my knees or leave me extremely out of breath after a few minutes
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Jogging is definitely harder than elliptical/stationary/hiking (those are the ones on your list that I do regularly). FWIW, I'm a fast biker and a slow runner, and I still use twice as many calories per hour jogging.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Jogging is definitely harder. If you want to increase your jogging you could try a walk/run program like Couch to 5k, it increase the amount you jog each week. Zombies, Run 5k is another good one. A little less structured than C25K. I started C25K last year and now regularly jog 5k, working on getting my time to about 35 minutes (today was 37 minutes).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most people just starting out go too fast. Slow way down. Your speed will eventually pick up as you get used to it.
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Most people just starting out go too fast. Slow way down. Your speed will eventually pick up as you get used to it.

This. People look at jogging as running and start way too fast. Slow it down, think long slow distance, and give it another try. It seems you like to incorporate a lot of strength into your cardio routines, working at high resistance and inclines. Jogging is more longer endurance.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    JennieMaeK wrote: »
    Jogging is definitely harder. If you want to increase your jogging you could try a walk/run program like Couch to 5k, it increase the amount you jog each week. Zombies, Run 5k is another good one. A little less structured than C25K. I started C25K last year and now regularly jog 5k, working on getting my time to about 35 minutes (today was 37 minutes).

Very good!

I second the recommendation to do a C25K program. I started it in late September and did my first full 5K on December 5.
  • xmaplegunmanx
    xmaplegunmanx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    YEP. I have the exact same problem!! I started working out at the beginning of January and I would jog on the treadmill for 1 minute than walk for 2. I worked my way up to jogging for 2 minutes and walking for 1. I would be so tired by the end of my workout I'd slow down a lot and walk really slow.

I would burn "250-300" calories when I was doing that. When I started just walking really fast I was burning 400+!!

Sooo in conclusion, I haven't jogged since then LOL.
    But I tried again last night and I was able to jog for 5 minutes non-stop. I had to walk for the rest of the workout but I did much better! It does get easier!
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When someone is out of shape, you can tell by the heart rate. Based on what you said, yes, it is normal because you are out of shape. When I run (not jog, run) my heart rate hits between 150-170 depending on a few factors (indoors vs outdoors, incline vs flat, et c.). When on the machines you listed my heart rate never breaks 130. Resting is 55.

You need much more time before running. Strengthen the soft tissues first by doing what you are doing + weight training, then consider running
  • dervari
    dervari Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Jogging is definitely harder than elliptical/stationary/hiking

You've obviously never hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail. :)
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    jacki865 wrote: »
    I started really working out aFew weeks ago. I noticed for an hour, I can do the elliptical with 10 incline and 8 resistance, the stair stepper, stationary bike, the cross trainer, and the incline trainer at a 2.5 speed and 15% incline. I even hiked about 5 miles Sunday with no problem. All of which had my heart rate up between 160-175 consistently. I feel like being able to stay on these machines isn't all that difficult even though I'm really sweating.

Yet I can't jog for anymore then 2 minutes without getting out of breath, is that normal?

This is 100% normal! When I first started my weight loss journey 4 years ago I could barely jog for 30 seconds. I felt miserable doing it and actually cried a few times while in the middle of my 30 second jogs thinking: "When will this get easier!!!!??"
    When I eventually discovered the Elliptical, at first it was still pretty hard but I was able to maintain 20 minutes on it without having to stop. I fell in love with the Elliptical and decided to stick to that instead of running. Eventually once I started losing more weight and built up a little bit of endurance I decided to try jogging again. It was still really hard but not as hard when I first started. Eventually it got easier and easier to maintain a jog, then more of a run and eventually started running 5K races.
    Like every exercise/sport it takes practice. If you're dedicated to being a runner, just practice. Follow the c25K program to help ease yourself into it. Or just do what I did and listen to your body. If you can only run for 30 seconds at 5.0mph, then lower the speed so your jogging more slowly. Run for the X amount of time that you can and then walk the same amount or double if you need to really catch your breath. Then repeat, run again for what you can at a gentle speed and then walk. This is how I did it and how I eventually built up my endurance because I didn't know anything about C25K.

I am now training for a half marathon and am trying to decrease my mile times.
    Good luck :)
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you want to build up to jogging for longer times, try the Couch-2-5k app. That's how I was able to do it. (Someone might have suggested this already - I was too pressed for time to ready all of the replies).
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Very few people can go from zero running to running for an hour over night. I used to run half-marathons and despite a really strong base fitness (squash, spin classes, distance swimming etc) I had to start with run-walking and short distances and build up from there. Running is strange in the sense that finess from other areas that you think you have just doesn't transfer very well. I assume it's because unlike cycling,elliptical etc you are having to forward propel your own body mass at impact. It's simply a lot harder. It took me 9 months to get from non-running to my first half-mara and about 6 months to my 1st 10k. You just have to be patient.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    MrsJBro wrote: »

This. People look at jogging as running and start way too fast. Slow it down, think long slow distance, and give it another try. It seems you like to incorporate a lot of strength into your cardio routines, working at high resistance and inclines. Jogging is more longer endurance.

Yes. Slow down. Probably 98% of people try to go too fast. They will say "but I'm going slow" but they need to go slower.
  • LloydGK
    LloydGK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As some have already suggested, the couch to 5k is a pretty good option. It worked for my wife and I. :smiley:
    Example: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

That being said, I have the attention span of a bolt of lightening and C25K didn't make jogging/running any less mind-shatteringly tedious for me, so I stopped after achieving the 5k goal in favour of team sports and martial arts (mostly).
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I can cycle for 5 hours, I can hike for 5 hours, I can even do an endurance adventure race for 8 hours. I can't jog for more than 1 minute. That said, I am doing the XBX routine at home to build strength and flexibility and it includes 3 minutes of jogging in each session. I can feel myself very very very slowly getting a little teeny bit better.

Also, my close friend can jog and does a ton of strength training (p90X, insanity, etc). She is very fit. But I am almost 50lbs overweight and nowhere close to being as fit as she is - and I can cycle for much further distances than she can and don't tire as easily on the bike. I think it is more a matter of training than fitness (although your overall fitness plays a huge role).
  • ebtaylor137
    ebtaylor137 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, running is a skill, no matter how natural it seems. Last year I did the Zombies Run 5k training plan. I started able to jog for about a minute, and ended with a 5k in March. I loved it, but after that I basically stopped running or doing any real endurance exercise before deciding to try for a 10k this year. First run of the year, did 10 minutes. Second, went for 26 minutes straight. I'm sure my endurance was back to what it was before training this year, but my body just knows how to run now. Like riding a bike. You have to build it slowly, and since it's high impact that's really for the best.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I hate running. Maybe you do, too :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

THIS!