Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free Recipes???

Options
LadyZen
LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
I just found out that most of my family is sensitive to wheat and dairy. I just tried a pizza recipe with Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix and veggie cheese. It was okay. Do any of you have any really good recipes for people like us? And I was just wondering how many people here are dealing with these types of food sensitivities?:smile:

Replies

• LadyZen
    Options
    I just found out that most of my family is sensitive to wheat and dairy. I just tried a pizza recipe with Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix and veggie cheese. It was okay. Do any of you have any really good recipes for people like us? And I was just wondering how many people here are dealing with these types of food sensitivities?:smile:
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hello dear!

I have MS and I'm trying the MS recovery diet! I have quite a few recipes that are gluten free and dairy free, but most of them are sugar free too! I honestly haven't had a problem enjoying any of them! Here is an example of one of my recipes!

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup spelt flour
    1/4 Potato Starch Flour
    3 cups rolled oats
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 teaspoons Egg Replacer
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 cup raisins (I added a little bit more…closer to a third of a cup)
    2 bananas, mashed
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1/2 cup agave nectar (I found this right in Kroger!)
    2 tablespoons sunflower seed oil (I used olive oil)

Preheat oven to 350 F.
    Mash the bananas in a separate bowl and then mix in the rest of the liquids. In another bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the liquids (add the raisins now.) I found it took some real strength to stir and it kind of clumps together in a giant ball. Its almost like a slightly mushy granola…ball…haha!

Whatever shape you put them onto the cookie sheet in, that is how they will turn out. The first time I made them I made the mistake of putting them into balls like I have other cookies. The next batch I smashed them into circles on the sheet! Oh I love these little life savers!

Please please please email me if you want more recipes! I have a lot more of them! Just too long to post! -Tara
  • LadyZen
    Options
    Those cookies sound really good, TaraMaria. I will have to try them:smile: I also have to watch anything with aspartame. It causes severe headaches for me. So sugar-free recipes will be good as long as it doesn't have aspartame in them. I am definitely open to new recipes though. Thanks!!:flowerforyou:
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I have a hard time with aspartame too! And my husband is even worse. I have to avoid yeast too. Basically beast is a bacteria and it can add to any illness even a common cold. One way to test to see if you have to much yeast in your system, and this sounds gross, lol, but first thing in the morning take a clear glass and fill it with water. Before you brush your teeth or eat or put anything in your mouth, take the glass and spit every ounce of spit that you can into the glass. If it stays floating at the top, you are fine. But if your spit starts to spiral down, sinking to the bottom of the glass, you have too much yeast/bacteria in your system. To me it kind of looks like spidery web like bits that come falling down. I learned this from one of the doctors I am going to that agrees with the diet I'm on! :)
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    i have a ton of recipes for gf diets. great set of books is special diets for special kids. i love the book. i can email you some of them
  • LadyZen
    Options
    i have a ton of recipes for gf diets. great set of books is special diets for special kids. i love the book. i can email you some of them
    That would be great! Thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • LadyZen
    Options
    I have a hard time with aspartame too! And my husband is even worse. I have to avoid yeast too. Basically beast is a bacteria and it can add to any illness even a common cold. One way to test to see if you have to much yeast in your system, and this sounds gross, lol, but first thing in the morning take a clear glass and fill it with water. Before you brush your teeth or eat or put anything in your mouth, take the glass and spit every ounce of spit that you can into the glass. If it stays floating at the top, you are fine. But if your spit starts to spiral down, sinking to the bottom of the glass, you have too much yeast/bacteria in your system. To me it kind of looks like spidery web like bits that come falling down. I learned this from one of the doctors I am going to that agrees with the diet I'm on! :)
    Wow..interesting...gross, but interesing:wink::laugh: I will have to try that tomorrow morning. I have been "playing around" with wheat free and dairy free stuff. I haven't had any dairy since 1/1/09; however, I have let myself have a roll here and there. I just want to see how much of the foods that I can have without it affecting my health and weight loss. I'm still very new to this; it is a bit overwelming.
  • tiggasmate
    tiggasmate Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband is gluten free a good website I have used before is juvela - www.juvela.co.uk/
    They have some great recipes and also message boards. The other website is the coeliac society.
    They do books with everything that is gluten free in it. When we were first going out I used it for everything now I have a good idea when buying things.

Hope this helps. If you do have any questions please message me.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am a GF'er (celiac disease)
    For my arthritis they recommend going dairy, gluten, alcohol, caffeine, refined sugar free...Thats a load so I am working on that :)
    As far as receipes..Mine are all hit and miss over the last 6 years.

I love Karinas kitchen...its a blog of different receipes or whatever,

LOVE Chebe mixes. Its a pre made mix you just add like 2 ingredients. It is dairy, yeast etc free. I have used the bread, rolls and pizza dough mixes and really enjoy them.

Pastas: the lasagna noodles..Debole (?)...since your adding meats, sauce and cheese you cant go wrong. I find the ziti noodles work well too.

Dining out: You will be amazed at resturants that have menus for us "weirdos". Outback and all their chains have gluten free menus, PF CHangs has gluten free menu, Donatos pizza chain has a soy crust pizza,

Its a hard allergy. I think dairy seems harder then wheat or gluten though. Good luck. Find a list of your natural food stores and start shopping there. You will get use to the different brands and what to look for, plus the smaller stores tend to be really helpful!!! Then you can branch out to chain grocery stores or Earth Fare, Whole Foods etc etc
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My son is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree-nuts, spinach, tomatoes and dog saliva.

I don't know exactly what constitutes as gluten. I have loads of recipe books for his allergies and I could share the best ones that meet your needs. Let me know what it is and I will share away.
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    try a bunch of dairy-free milks. visit a whole foods, trader joe's or health food store. almond milk, hemp milk, oat milk, rice milk, soymilk, etc. i keep almond, soy & rice on hand at all times.

i'm vegan and i watch my wheat intake just because i think i have a tiny bit of sensitivity. depending on what i'm making, i really like spelt, soy, buckwheat, chickpea and oat flour.

http://www.fatfreevegan.com is great for dairy-free recipes (albeit vegan, though you can modify them to your liking) and http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ is great for gluten free stuff.

good luck!
  • LadyZen
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help, everyone. I really appreciate it:smile: I will have to check out those websites; however, I am always hearing about this "Trader Joes." Is it a store? We don't have one of those around here. It sounds really interesting though. :flowerforyou:
  • mommachag
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help, everyone. I really appreciate it:smile: I will have to check out those websites; however, I am always hearing about this "Trader Joes." Is it a store? We don't have one of those around here. It sounds really interesting though. :flowerforyou:

it is a store. a lot of the stuff in it is all natural but be careful and read the labels not everything there is . are you eliminating gluten ? or just wheat. It can be very different one way or the other. If your going gluten free oats are out since they are almost always cross contaminated with wheat gluten, barley is another one.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/55168/gluten-free-vegan-chocolate-cupcakes.html

great cuppie cake recipe by the way. I used teff, sorhgum, and tapioca flour to make it. really good. brownie like.

bob's red mil has a ton of really great prepackaged flour mixes for things. there is a great french bread pizza mix that is GF. corn pasta is GROSS! stick with the brown rice pasta it's way better.
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options

include me on the email too!
  • mommachag
    Options

include me on the email too!

what kinds of recipes are you guys looking for. I have so many.
    my whole family likes this one

curried chicken balls

3 cups GF crispy rice cereal
    2 eggs (or egg substitute)
    2 Tbs water
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion ( i use way more)
    salt and pepper
    1 lb boneless chicken cut into nugget peices

mix the eggs and water in one bow

the seasoning and cereal in another

dip the chicken in the egg mix then the coating mix

make sure the chicken is dry before doing this.
    bake 375 until the chicken reached proper temp (165-175?)
  • mommachag
    Options
    you have to crush the cereal