Cleaning a juicer

Options
OK, so without wanting to start a juicing debate - I'm not juice fasting or anything like that, I just enjoy the sheer hedonistic pleasure of pushing fruit/veg into the juicing machine and drinking the lovely fresh juice made to my own preference :)

But - the juicer is such a nuisance to clean and never feels clean unless it goes through the dishwasher. The plastic bits are fine, but the mesh basket is horrible - all the pulp sticks all over it, if you clean one side, you make the other side dirty, etc.

I scrape the pulp out as soon as I'm done (before drinking the juice) and rinse it through, but it never gets properly clean until it goes in the dishwasher. Anyone any tips, as I don't want to dishwash it more than once a week (don't use the dishwasher more than that anyway)?

Replies

• HeadHonchoRocketScientist
    Options
    Insert a baggie where the pulp goes to collect close 95% of all the pulp in the baggie... less cleaning that way.
  • ontosinc297
    ontosinc297 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I used to juice fairly regularly but the hassle of cleaning that damn contraption is too much for me. It is pretty pleasurable to push all those fruits and veggies through the juicer though. Ha!
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sorry - should have said it's a centrifugal juicer, so the basket is straining the pulp. If I put a baggie in it, won't it get shredded (and included in my juice -yuck!)?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I inherited a juicer once. I used it once and that's it. Cleaning it was a nightmare.

Not to slam juicing but pulverizing produce in a high-powered blender is pretty fun and it's easy to clean and the fiber is good for you and filling.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do that too - but it just doesn't quite have the same thrill ;) Also, between breakfast smoothie and fruit infused water, a juice hits the spot so much better than an afternoon smoothie (not to mention all my favourite smoothies have banana in which just shoots the calories up way high for an afternoon pick-me-up!).

Also- the blender is a pain in the bum to clean and only gets properly clean in the dishwasher too!!
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have no problems cleaning mine. I use a brush though to clean the mesh basket part. Under running water I lightly scrub one side with the brush, than the other. Simple and quick!