When you're not feeling well

So today I woke up with a sore throat, headache and that feeling of sluggishness. I had breakfast, dropped the kids to school and went to the gym. I could only get through one circuit before I admitted defeat and went home and slept for three hours. I know it's irrational to be mad at myself for not finishing my work out but at the same time I feel pretty disappointed and down. Illness sucks! Sorry just needed a woe is me moment and a rant!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    happens to all of us. at least you tried lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    You tried, checked in, and realized you were physically not up for it. Good for you! Have some soup.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    It happens. I will workout if I have a cold, or even strep (once I've been on the medicine long enough to not be contagious), but I won't workout if my symptoms include fever or vomiting.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    So you spread your germs round the gym..err..please don't do that

You're right to sleep, wrong to have a go at yourself for being ill...exercise and health both involve learning to listen to your body

Hope you feel better soon
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    I've been sick since Saturday with a sore throat, cough, stuffed nose and a general feeling of fatigue so I know how you feel. I've had to miss boot camp this week and I've only been able to manage a walk on my breaks at work. It really throws a wrench in your weight loss plans. As long as we're able to meet our calorie goal (I use the weekly average) we should be fine. Just make sure you log all the cold medicine you take because I learned cough syrup is full of sugar and thus has calories. I actually had my husband pick me up the cough medicine for diabetics since its sugar free and zero calories.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    I'm impressed you tried - obviously your body needed to rest and those three hours of extra sleep prove it. I know that when I was working out regularly I would make myself work out if I had a cold (unless I was chest coughing), but never when I felt fluish. Your body really does need time to rest and recover, so try to forgive yourself for stopping sooner than you would have liked. Your body was trying to tell you it just couldn't do it today. Remember, there is always tomorrow! Or maybe if you feel better later you can get in a nice walk or something non-strenuous to keep yourself moving. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks all. Like I said I know it's irrational, just need to rest get better and crack on with it again I can still count calories just do it from my sofa for a few days instead. Tiff I hope you pick up soon x
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    If I'm feeling sick I don't work out. The way I see it 1 day isn't going to derail my progress. As soon as I'm better I get back to my routine.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    If I'm not feeling well, or even feel a bug coming on, my first priority is rest. Workouts can wait, and I focus on getting as much rest as I can, drinking plenty of water and eating well. Pushing myself through workouts only wears me out more, and I've found I generally end up sidelined for longer than if I had just rested from the start.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    If I'm feeling sick I don't work out. The way I see it 1 day isn't going to derail my progress. As soon as I'm better I get back to my routine.
    Same here. I'd rather feel better first than attempt to work out when sick. Exercise does cause stress on the body, and that's the last thing I need when my body is already stressed from being ill. I have been sick the past couple of weeks (on my birthday, too!), so I didn't work out until 2 days ago.