Why I don't count exercise calories

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
This is a new blog I just posted. It's meant to present a different perspective/approach to the subject of including exercise calories into your overall plan. Like anything else, there are many different approaches to success and this approach has been successful for many people. Hopefully, some people may find some useful ideas:

Why I don't count exercise calories.....

Or--why I don't count them that much.

Sometimes it seems like half the comments on these boards are concerned with estimating, tracking, and logging exercise and activity calories. At any given time of day or night one can find the topic "what kind of HRM should I buy?" on the first page of the "Fitness and Exercise" Message Board.

I am going to propose a different approach. This is in keeping with some of my other recent posts in which I am recommending a more simplified strategy for weight loss, one that has more emphasis on focusing one's efforts in a few key areas rather than getting too caught up in what I consider peripheral items.

This approach is based on my background and personal exeperience with my own weight loss; it has been reinforced by my experience with the weight loss program run by the medical fitness center where I have worked for 16 months now.

I don't mean to assert or imply that this is the ONLY approach, or even that it is the best approach for everyone. Ultimately, the overall strategy is not that different--it's another means of managing energy output vs energy intake. It is also meant primarily for those starting a program, with a high level of body fat.

Here it is in a nutshell: Increase your daily calorie intake and stop including exercise calories routinely into your eating plan (i.e. "eating back exercise calories"). REFUEL after your workouts (carb/protein snack, 150-400 calories, depending on length/intesnity/calories expended during workout), but not more than 1/2 the exercise calories and do not bother with tracking recreational or activity calories (cleaning, dog walking, yardwork, wearing high heels, golf, etc. And get out of the 1200 calorie/day herd.

Here are some of my reasons:

1. Our methods of estimating calories expended during exercise are imprecise at best. I've explained this in detail on numerous occasions. Sometimes the number you get is no more accurate than just making one up out of thin air--at best they are no more than 75%-80% accurate.

2. Even if you do calculate an accurate BMR and could accurately calculate exercise calories, a good 20%-30% of your daily total energy expenditure (TEE) comes from casual activty and other physical factors. And that number is not only just a rough estimate, it can also vary widely from day to day. So despite our best efforts, most of us only have a vague idea of what we are burning every day.

3. Most people starting a weight loss program can and should be eating more than 1200 calories per day. In our program, the minimum calorie expenditure recommended by our dietitians is 1600 for females, 1800 for males. I think you can be a little more aggressive than that, but anyone over 180 lbs should do just fine on 1500 calories per day.

4. If you are eating a decent number of calories (1400-1800/day), and you are starting out, and you have a high level of body fat, the chances of going into "starvation mode" are low to nonexistent, in my experience. And that is true even with calorie deficits of over 1,500 per day.

Again, this is as much an accounting strategy as anything else. One could say "well, I start at 1200 calories/day and then just add exercise and activity and get to the same place".

And if that works for you, that is fine. What I am trying to do is take away a lot of the arithmetic and research that I think is unnecessary. For beginners, there is no need to be that precise about your energy output. As long as you are eating a minimum number per day, and incurring a defict, you should have success. To me, that is a lot easier that trying for the 500th time to figure out the number of calories burned in a Zumba class. I also think that routinely trying to eat 1200 calories a day is more stressful and can be counterproductive at times.

There are reasons to track exercise calories--since calories expended during a workout can represent the total amount of aerobic work performed, tracking your calories can be used to set goals and monitor fitness improvement. Heart rate monitors are excellent tools for improving and maintaining the quality of your workouts and training program.

But if you want to try a more streamlined approach, consider setting your daily calories a little higher, and working out and being as active as possible. I think it is more important to focus on calorie intake than it is to count every exercise/activity calorie because you are worried about starvation mode.

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I planned to start doing this now that I'm in maintenance. Thanks for sharing. I am glad I stuck to logging exercise for weight loss though.
  • sonyyyyy
    sonyyyyy Posts: 33
    Options
    i didnt read this.. too long lol
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Very nice, sir.
  • mbuzalski
    mbuzalski Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Great strategy offer. I am always interested in the advice of others and this seems to make so much sense to me. I usually read all of the "eat back your exercise calories" and I'm always wondering if that is the best thing to do.

Anyways, just a big thanks for a new perspective.
  • drcutie79
    drcutie79 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was thinking that I lose more weight when I ate more than the 1250 cal/day suggested on this website. Being more than 180 lbs, I found myself lethargic and weak most days. I have increased my caloric intake, and was wondering if I was doing right. Thanks again!
  • drcutie79
    drcutie79 Posts: 8
    Options
    *Duplicate*
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed your posts Azdak so consider this a bump for later reading.:drinker:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I was expecting another "blablabla why would anyone eat exercise calories?!" But that sounds pretty well done.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I planned to start doing this now that I'm in maintenance. Thanks for sharing. I am glad I stuck to logging exercise for weight loss though.
    I like your method as when one is quite overweight eating them back is not NEAR as vital as at least considering it when you have far less to lose.

Both sides have good points but it does depend often on how much you're looking to lose. Someone with 200 lbs. to lose might not need to panic about eating them back. Someone with 10 lbs. to go might need to be a bit more concerned and at least read both sides of the topic.

ETA: "And get out of the 1200 calorie/day herd."
    Excellent point! Why IS everyone or seemingly so many stuck on only eating 1200 a day? I don't really get that either...That's quite low for many many adults even at goal weight.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight and something to think about as an option.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Azdak, while I can see merit in the information you've provided, I don't believe I would have been as successful or consistent with my weight loss without tracking both my food and exercise. Although you've stated that individuals may need to simplify the approach when first starting out, I went the other direction and worked on my exercise routines (both cardio and strength training) and got those down first before I began to track my calories and weigh consistently. Jumping into both things (cal counting and exercise) at once was not a good choice for me personally.

I'd like to hear from others who have had a lot to lose what approaches and concessions they have made to achieve success.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options

lol if that's you in your avatar, you probably didn't need to read it anyways. It pertains to those of us trying to lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm ... this is interesting, but it would not work for me. This is great for people who are already self motivated to exercise. I got this way because I hated exercise. I do like exercise NOW - but I have to log it. Logging it forces me to schedule it & to DO it.

Eat less ....move more
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I only joined here about three days ago,but have always been interested in health and nutrition etc, only the other day I commented on "1200" kcals....to me that's just not right!! Enjoyed your post :)
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

:laugh: too funny! I clicked on it and thought to myself, "Eh, a little long, but I'll give it a shot"

Anyways to the OP. I don't think anyone could argue your point but I look at myself and the 20 pounds that never seemed to go away. I think its the 'structure' or discipline of MFP and tracking every last thing that has helped myself and many others here. So while you're 100% correct that it doesn't have to be so concrete/strenuous, I think that's exactly what many of us need.

As for eating exercise cals... I've tried not eating them, eating some of them, and eating all of them. Typically, I've found that if I don't eat about a majority of them back, then I wake up in the morning dizzy and bumping into walls until I 'fuel' my body w/ something... and thats not exactly healthy. Again, thats just me!

All good points that you make, but I think the discipline of logging every last calorie is exactly what people need sometimes... And if you work at a clinic/medical facility, then the people you're dealing with are GOING TO A MEDICAL FACILITY to get help. Dunno about you, but I'd rather log everything online and talk to some folks rather than seeing a doctor once a week. I'm not sure which is the lesser of to supposed evils...
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ps on reflection,I'm thinking that if a lot of people were not counting exercise and tracking etc,they might not be as motivated? Ie let's say a person increased their calorie allowance...would they still feel the need to get up and start exercising? Would that initial motivation be there?
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    this is great. thanks for posting.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Azdak, while I can see merit in the information you've provided, I don't believe I would have been as successful or consistent with my weight loss without tracking both my food and exercise. Although you've stated that individuals may need to simplify the approach when first starting out, I went the other direction and worked on my exercise routines (both cardio and strength training) and got those down first before I began to track my calories and weigh consistently. Jumping into both things (cal counting and exercise) at once was not a good choice for me personally.

I'd like to hear from others who have had a lot to lose what approaches and concessions they have made to achieve success.

I think some people need the comfort of cold, hard facts and number to keep them on their path. It is a source of reassurance and confidence. If your personality suits that methodology and it works then do it.

However, I think for the majority of people a simple, clean approach is preferable. It takes the stress out of the process and gives them less variables to obsess over.

Much of the weight loss journey is psychological as it is physiological. It's hard to separate out the issues and in reality pointless. Do what plays to your strengths and minimises weaknesses.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm ... this is interesting, but it would not work for me. This is great for people who are already self motivated to exercise. I got this way because I hated exercise. I do like exercise NOW - but I have to log it. Logging it forces me to schedule it & to DO it.

Eat less ....move more

I am not against logging calories or exercise--I did it myself and still do. I see it as more valuable for charting progress and for the reasons you cited. What I am cautioning against is trying to be overly precise including those numbers in an eating plan when they are not very accurate. And doing so because one is afraid of "starvation mode".
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think this makes sense for people with a lot of weight to lose. I do think that the closer you get to your goal weight the closer attention you have to pay attention to the little things.