Any Type 1 Diabetics here?

Options
Any Type 1 Diabetics here that would like to share your tips....from highs to lows....exercising....insulin shots and insulin pumps...motivation after having sugar lows.... Please share here. Blessings!

Replies

• carrieeh2357
    carrieeh2357 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm type 1 diabetic, I dont think I have any tips but its always nice to have a fellow diabetic budddy that understands more of what I'm going threw!!
  • spitler52
    spitler52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I soooo agree because it can be so frustrating. I have been Type 1 for 21 1/2 years and on the insulin pump for 12 years.
  • molepigeon
    molepigeon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am too! Its so annoying... Have a great diet day and then a low out of nowhere....
  • EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have had diabetes since I was 5. My dad did as well until he died from his almost 16 years ago, he had kidney failure. Diabetes is all I've ever known and sometimes it can still seem so foreign to me. Like, should I still count my calories when I'm treating a low blood sugar? I think I'm developing a problem with insulin, I can't seem to take my injections in my legs anymore. Whenever I take the needle out I'll have a massive bump and it gets itchy and painful, but for some reason I don't have that with my arms.
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Type 1 for 30 years! On a pump for 15, using a CGM. I do log low treatment. It's calories, so imo, it should be logged. I don't beat myself up if I go over those days, though. The less I weigh, my body adjusts as needs less insulin and it usually takes a couple of days to figure out adjustments. It's frustrating, though!

I have to suspend and eat without blousing before a workout. Sometimes exercise makes me go high, but more often than not I'll crash if I don't get my bs over 200-230 before exercise.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Type 1 here as well. My son and mom are also type 1. Pump with cgms. Yes you should log food for lows. The trick is not going low in the first place (easier said than done). I try and have only glucose tabs for lows. You get the fastest acting sugar for the calories. (15 calories per tab). I can treat a low with 45-60 calories of tabs or 200+ calories of "regular" food.

I have the same issues as @bac0s I have to eat with no bolus to exercise or have it be over 200 to work out. That's fine if I work out after a planned meal but if I want to work out between meals then I have to eat. Which cancels out the calories burned in the workout.
  • spitler52
    Options
    I have to do the same.
  • spitler52
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    Type 1 here as well. My son and mom are also type 1. Pump with cgms. Yes you should log food for lows. The trick is not going low in the first place (easier said than done). I try and have only glucose tabs for lows. You get the fastest acting sugar for the calories. (15 calories per tab). I can treat a low with 45-60 calories of tabs or 200+ calories of "regular" food.

I have the same issues as @bac0s I have to eat with no bolus to exercise or have it be over 200 to work out. That's fine if I work out after a planned meal but if I want to work out between meals then I have to eat. Which cancels out the calories burned in the workout.

I was always told to suspend pump 1 hour prior and then 1 hour after exercising to turn it back o
  • lclevenger469
    lclevenger469 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked into plexus? It was first designed for diabetics. It helps control blood sugars all day so you don't have the ups and downs. It also helps control cravings and suppress appetite. It makes you healthy overall and in return you loose weight. It is not the typical diet product. It is an all natural supplement that helps you to get healthy and it is up to you to eat right and exercise. It might be worth looking into. There are a lot of testimonials out there where people have been able to decrease their diabetic medication on it.
  • EleanorLynn1989
    Options
    I have had diabetes since I was 5. My dad did as well until he died from his almost 16 years ago, he had kidney failure. Diabetes is all I've ever known and sometimes it can still seem so foreign to me. Like, should I still count my calories when I'm treating a low blood sugar? I think I'm developing a problem with insulin, I can't seem to take my injections in my legs anymore. Whenever I take the needle out I'll have a massive bump and it gets itchy and painful, but for some reason I don't have that with my arms.

I am type 1 Diabetic as well; diagnosed when I was 8. I also have no clue to log my food for a low. I actually sent that question to Jillian Micheals for the "Ask Jillian" newsletter and it never got answered. I haven't been logging it and it hasn't seems to make a difference. I was going to start a thread about this but found this one! I'd love to have some Diabetic friends on here for support!

Sorry. I just noticed this. haha That's rude of her to not respond when it involves something like this. I log it just in case, but I'm already on 1350 daily calories, so it really confuses me if I should add the low blood sugar ones or not. It really bothers me when I have a low blood sugar and I have to count those calories when I didn't plan on adding it do my daily food plan when I'm eating. It's something I NEED or else I'll obviously die, but it's also taking away the few calories I have for the day. I always drink a glass of lemonade and eat something, but 1 glass of lemonade itself already has 110 calories in it. :[
  • EleanorLynn1989
    Options
    Also, I am sorry about your Dad.

Thanks. That's sweet of you. Hopefully they'll come out with a cure soon so more people don't have to suffer like he did.
  • Himurahotaru
    Himurahotaru Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a type 1 diabetic and we've been struggling to kind of find a way to help him manage that and loose weight and work with his graveyard shift work schedule. It's difficult. It also seems like he might be kind of asthmatic too...so finding cardio he can do is difficult. Aaaugh
  • SunnyDuckz
    SunnyDuckz Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Last week, I got a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. It was completely out of the blue... Over the past 15 months I've lost 60 lbs (I'm at a healthy weight of 140 now) and I've been running and weight training for almost a year. So, we don't know why I have it, other than having a family history of diabetes. They are now saying that type 1 is no longer considered juvenile... I just turned 40! I've recently read of something called Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA).

I'm still learning about this disease, I'm glad that I am familiar with logging foods and exercise (I've used MFP for several years now). And I'm super glad I discovered it when we did. My A1C is 14 (as of last week), so I could've been in real trouble had it continued without notice.

I hope to learn more from those of you that have managed diabetes for a long time. At this time, I am pretty clueless!! I've been on insulin for 5 days and I've gained 4 lbs. I assume that is part of the deal... I had been losing weight pretty quickly before my diagnosis, which I also assume (now) was because of the high glucose in my blood. I was wasting away :(
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

SunnyDuckz wrote: »
    Last week, I got a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. It was completely out of the blue... Over the past 15 months I've lost 60 lbs (I'm at a healthy weight of 140 now) and I've been running and weight training for almost a year. So, we don't know why I have it, other than having a family history of diabetes. They are now saying that type 1 is no longer considered juvenile... I just turned 40! I've recently read of something called Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA).

I'm still learning about this disease, I'm glad that I am familiar with logging foods and exercise (I've used MFP for several years now). And I'm super glad I discovered it when we did. My A1C is 14 (as of last week), so I could've been in real trouble had it continued without notice.

I hope to learn more from those of you that have managed diabetes for a long time. At this time, I am pretty clueless!! I've been on insulin for 5 days and I've gained 4 lbs. I assume that is part of the deal... I had been losing weight pretty quickly before my diagnosis, which I also assume (now) was because of the high glucose in my blood. I was wasting away :(

So sorry about your diagnosis. I have LADA too. I was diagnosed at age 30. I'm 39 now and fully insulin dependent. It took about 7 years of slow onset for that to happen. It sounds like you have been educated well which is a first step. Yes you may gain weight at first on insulin because you're now wasting away any more. There's lots of help out there. Good luck.

• SunnyDuckz
    SunnyDuckz Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »

So sorry about your diagnosis. I have LADA too. I was diagnosed at age 30. I'm 39 now and fully insulin dependent. It took about 7 years of slow onset for that to happen. It sounds like you have been educated well which is a first step. Yes you may gain weight at first on insulin because you're now wasting away any more. There's lots of help out there. Good luck.

Thank you
  • KUAngie
    KUAngie Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

My brother was diagnosed type one a few years ago at age 33. He was already thin, and had lost probably 40 pounds- single guy who never went to e Doctor. He finally went, thinking maybe he had something wrong (cancer) from losing a lot of weight and peeing all the time at night. He was admitted with DKA and A1C of 18.

He doesn't have the challenge of needing to lose any weight, but as you all know being insulin dependent in itself is a challenge. As an RN, I try and help give him advice. He has found a lot of support with his diabetic educator and is investigating getting a pump.

I also work with a cardiologist who also has celiac (gluten free) with being type one, and that is a challenge as well.

Good luck guys!