Ladies! Motivation during 'that time'.

Options
How do you find the motivation to get up and exercise during your period? Right now I feel awful and just want to curl up under a blanket and watch Disney hehe. =) I've always been told that gentle exercise during your period can help though.

When on yours do you force yourself to get up and exercise or do you allow yourself a day off because you feel rotten?

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can just take a small walk? You will probably feel worse if you don't do something because you're going to beat yourself up about it. You don't have to do anything strenuous but if you move I guarantee you will feel better about yourself.
  • Sukisumi
    Sukisumi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    After feeling sorry for myself, I think I'm going to do 30 mins of light cardio, just to get myself moving a bit and so I don't feel guilty! I normally do an hour of solid cardio 5 days a week, which has been working well for me, but I think I can make a slight exception today.

Thanks for your response =)
  • michelletheheron
    michelletheheron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm currently lying under my duvet with my hot water bottle! But saying that I use my mini trampoline or rebounder as it helps with the pain. It's just motivating myself to get on it! I also feel like stuffing my face with carbs today :(
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to think like that: be gentle and just light exercise throughout the whole week. The thing is, I also tend to eat more high calorie food, especially chocolate and sweetened stuffs, and that sometimes causes me to gain a little bit a week after (not much, but still annoying). This really bothers me and thus I still do whatever exercise routine I originally plan to do (Body Combat, weight-lifting, etc) as long as I feel fine. But I'm definitely not moving if the cramping is bad ;)
  • Sukisumi
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @michelletheheron I have to be honest, I'm under a big fluffy blanket in my cow onesie haha. =) I'm struggling to get up and motivate myself too. I'm not hungry but I really want some red wine later :(

• Sukisumi
    Options
    @niniundlapin That's the problem I'm having! I knew it was going to be bad today but when I got home from work last night I thought "you've been doing really well, just do it tomorrow" and now tomorrow has come, I ache all over, particularly my back and have no energy. I haven't eaten anything extra and I'm still in line to be slightly under my calorie goal today so it's hard to get myself motivated... but at the same time I feel like I'm making excuses for myself!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    sometimes i eat at maintenance and don't do anything. other times, i know i ate a bunch of high calorie food and i convince myself to burn it off
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I personally do nothing for the 4 days I have it. Nada. No exercise, no calorie deficit, no extra movement. Kind of helps that 2 of the four days I usually can't eat due to the cramps, I unfortunately puke it all back up. But I have a severe case, hence the reason it lasts only 4 days. Any movement creates sharp horrible pains so I usually spend 4 days with heating pads and muscle relaxers. Then I jump back into routine after I am all done. good luck on whatever you decide.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually makes me feel better and my cramps go away.
  • niniundlapin
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Aww... sorry you feel like that, @Sukisumi :o I should have mentioned that it's totally different based on individual situation, and I also think it's a great period of time when I can evaluate my lifestyle & re-adjust my habits. For me, having it normal and regular is a bless, I think, compared to many friends of mine who suffered from irregularity and all sorts of inconvenience (plus cramping every single day; my cramping only happens the first two days). Please don't beat yourself up! Think of it as a natural break for your weight-loss/fitness plan and just use that to get prepared when your body is ready :)
    (Hope you feel better!)
  • Elite8Her
    Elite8Her Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've heard working out before your monthly helps with cramping. Try to start moving it will be a start to get you going.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    water and tea is my best friend. Ibuprofen. And yes, exercise. For me - the endorphins make me forget about the pain if only for a little while. And I'm a gal who gets it to the point of vomiting occasionally.

Yes, it's more difficult but it's almost always worth it. If, after 20 m inutes of trying, I'm still in pain or discomfort, I retreat to the water bottle, disney, and puppy and kitty snuggles.
  • Sukisumi
    Options
    @niniundlapin It's okay, I've always had really long and heavy periods (usually 6-7 days), so it takes it out of me. I'm really proud of myself because I managed just over 30 mins of my usual hour routine but had to stop because it's given me a bad headache and I've gone all dizzy. I still did it though! o:) Now to get back under my blanket! :D

I also think my hubby is bringing me some red wine when he gets home so I can enjoy a glass of that later... because if I can't treat myself now then what's the point? Hehe :)

@holly_roman Gosh I'm sorry to hear you have it so bad! I really don't blame you, it's good to have a break anyway.
  • Sukisumi
    Options
    @TaraTall That's the point I've got to now, I just can't decide which Disney film to watch. :)
  • yazmizzie8
    yazmizzie8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't see a difference when I work out and when I don't. I do notice that after I work out it seems heavier but the cramps stay there. I do experience fatigue. Anything that helps with that?
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I can work out just fine during ToM (I guess I'm blessed that I sustain minimal damage lol), but a couple days leading up to it is horrible. I get depressed, I'm constantly tired, all I wanna do is eat, and when I try to work out I have no energy. Go to the gym and have to drop off some weight from my lifts? Yep, ToM incoming.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd say listen to your body, if i feel upto a workout i will but some days i will lie on the couch all day with chocolate. I weigh myself every day but only count it once a week and during that week I'll gain about 3lb and after a couple of days after its stopped the scales go back to normal. Seriously if your bodies telling you your not upto it take a while off :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I force myself to walk at least 20 minutes, with the promise to myself that I can go home, have a muscle relaxant or a Pamprin, and curl up in a ball the rest of the day!
  • niniundlapin
    Options
    @Sukisumi Good job! I've actually been thinking about an electronic-heated blanket just for this special period of time, lol. Red wine sounds good! My entire pantry of Asian snacks serve the same purpose & I've been recklessly (relatively) treating myself lately... :p

@yazmizzie8 I do notice the change of volume depends on which day I'm in it, so I guess changing activity level might affect it..?! But the cramps... oh those are nasty... I started taking Advil a few years ago so I can keep working & ignore my cramps (otherwise I used to just wait & do nothing), but honestly I don't have other good methods to prevent it from happening... I've tried applying something warm for my lower ab area or drink a cup of very diluted hot cocoa (so I won't get too much additional calories, lol). I do feel a little bit better afterwards, but I guess these are just palliative (even placebo effects) ways as an alternative to painkiller... ?! :|
  • Sukisumi
    Options
    @niniundlapin He did bring me home some wine and it was just what I needed. Now he's heated up my hot water bottle and I'm now snuggled up in bed. I still feel rubbish but it could be worse. =)

I can't have snacks in my house because I know I'd eat them! I'm really bad for that around this time, haha. I have to admit I did have a treat size curly wurly chocolate bar I got in a pack for Christmas that I haven't touched yet but I tracked it and I'm still just under my calories for today, plus I did a bit of exercise in the end so I'm trying to tell myself that's okay! :p