Looking for POSITIVE motivation/ accountability

Options
Hi!
I have hit my highest weight and this year I've decided in not going 1 more pound up. I am looking to lose 30-40lbs by August 2016. I was fit and in shape before college and up to my second year of college. Then the alcohol and food kicked in and basically kicked my *kitten*. I stopped working out. After graduating college, I started a full time job. Trying to fit in workouts was tough. I use a misfit (same idea as a Fitbit) and try to reach 12,000 steps/day. I got a gym membership to hold me accountable since I'm paying. I try to go 4-5x a week. I just started the couch to 5k app in hopes it will help me enjoy running.
I would love some motivation friends/ success stories anyone has. I am open to advice and accountability:)
Thanks y'all!

Replies

• bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hi, good to hear you're trying :D i also have a misfit (bbilliethecat) if you want to add me . i'll be easy to beat this next week since i'm post-op since tuesday, but once my stitches come out, you better watch out ! lol gym's a great idea because they're so expensive, but definitely an investment in you . i need to lose 30-40 pounds too after having already lost 37 . sooooooooo difficult . i'm at a standstill, trying to shift myself from it lol .

new year, new us . good luck ! :D
  • SeizeTheDay2016
    SeizeTheDay2016 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm in the same place as you! I don't ever want to be this weight again or gain any more! We can do this! :smiley:
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    WOO! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
    How do you like your Misfit? I'm holding out for the new Ray because I've seen so many stories about people losing their Shine. Since I swim, I don't want to be crawling the bottom of the pool trying to find my tracker if it falls off. :)
  • tmorton03
    tmorton03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track, but you have to start watching your food intake. My husband and I have always ate "healthy." But too much of a good thing is still bad. In February of 2014, we joined MFP and started counting calories. My husband has gone from 260 lbs to 185 lbs. I have gone from 225 to 140. Someone once told me that dieting is 80% of the battle. If you watch what your putting into your body, you won't have to kill yourself at the gym. Eat more protein, fruits, and veggies. Indulge once in a while. It took us a year to lose the weight and we've kept it off for a year. You can do this!
  • SPotts1991
    SPotts1991 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    We can do this xxx
  • itsup2memi
    itsup2memi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Carlyzugel579! Hello! Gal you wrote my story or a portiin of it. I too am working on going to the gym etc. I have a few more to lose but add me as a friend. We can motivate each other.
  • hcolbourn
    hcolbourn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I only started running two years ago. When I started I could barely run for one minute without tiring. At first I was so ashamed of myself, but I decided to turn one minute into two minutes, two minutes into four minutes, and I built on it over time. I am now doing 5K charity runs regularly, and have done a few 10K's (I am working on building up to them). All of this took time, and I now love running! Christmas has messed everything up, so I have a goal again, and that is to lose 15 pounds, and to build on my fitness. At my peak, I felt amazing, and I am well on my way to getting back there and I know I can do it!! You can too, so please don't give up :)!
  • MissGA32
    MissGA32 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WOO! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
    How do you like your Misfit? I'm holding out for the new Ray because I've seen so many stories about people losing their Shine. Since I swim, I don't want to be crawling the bottom of the pool trying to find my tracker if it falls off. :)
    I love it, but I have actually lost it before because it does fall out.... I just keep a very close eye on it and get a new band every few months. But it definitely is a great motivator for me. I cannot sleep knowing I didn't reach my goal for the day
  • MissGA32
    Options
    tmorton03 wrote: »
    It sounds like you are on the right track, but you have to start watching your food intake. My husband and I have always ate "healthy." But too much of a good thing is still bad. In February of 2014, we joined MFP and started counting calories. My husband has gone from 260 lbs to 185 lbs. I have gone from 225 to 140. Someone once told me that dieting is 80% of the battle. If you watch what your putting into your body, you won't have to kill yourself at the gym. Eat more protein, fruits, and veggies. Indulge once in a while. It took us a year to lose the weight and we've kept it off for a year. You can do this!

Thank you so much! And I honestly think food is my issue... I loveeee food especially the good stuff. I have definitely been trying to portion each meal and pack healthy things to snack on during the day and what not. What percent of workouts vs clean eating would you say you and your husband did?
  • MissGA32
    Options
    hcolbourn wrote: »
    Hello, I only started running two years ago. When I started I could barely run for one minute without tiring. At first I was so ashamed of myself, but I decided to turn one minute into two minutes, two minutes into four minutes, and I built on it over time. I am now doing 5K charity runs regularly, and have done a few 10K's (I am working on building up to them). All of this took time, and I now love running! Christmas has messed everything up, so I have a goal again, and that is to lose 15 pounds, and to build on my fitness. At my peak, I felt amazing, and I am well on my way to getting back there and I know I can do it!! You can too, so please don't give up :)!

Thank you! Hearing stories like yours seriously motivates me. I know I can do it, I just have to get there and time is what makes it hard. But thanks for sharing your story! Sounds like you have it down:)
  • cjrandallisgettingfit
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is only by consuming less calories than your body uses - be it from just being alive, or from exercising. I have a Garmin Vivofit and it's synchronized between Garmin's website and here at MyFitnessPal. My 10,000 steps or so steps are accounted for in MFP's exercise panel, and impact my base 1500 calorie intake.

The more you exercise, the more you can eat - simple! And you must keep eating well with your new activity levels. Keep eating healthy, just watch portion sizes and you'll make it. All the best.
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me alex729
  • beretta82
    beretta82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love food! So I can relate 100%. It is a daily battle and it is tough! It helps to keep yourself accountable with others :smiley: