Lunch time at work...

Options
Who else has to deal with co workers ordering food?! Here I sit with my yogurt and fruits... And these guys all order some Chinese food... It smells sooooo good... Of course I will say no to any offerings... But it just smells sooooo damn good!!!

Replies

• laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to leave the bldg. and go for a walk. You'll remove yourself from the temptations and you get some exercise in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    My co-workers always order food and sometimes it smells good...but so does my home prepared lunch...other times it smells like the fast food slop that it is.

I'd personally have more than yogurt and fruits for lunch...but that's just me...that would not at all be a satisfying lunch for me and you need fats and proteins.

Today I'm having a cup of homemade cauliflower soup with ~ 4 ounces (cooked weight) of Italian marinated, grilled chicken breast; 1/2 an avocado, a couple slices of sour dough bread from the bakery down the street and red cherries for desert...

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to @cwolfman13: I'm not envious of what others eat because I make sure what I bring for lunch is yummy and filling. That's my main meal of the day, so nutrition and good taste is important to me.

I HATE the smell of fast food or anything fried so if I had to smell that in my office I'd have to go elsewhere to enjoy my food.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Fruit is delicious! Enjoy it! :smiley:
  • professorpfm
    professorpfm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my fruits and yogurts now. Before (3 weeks ago) i would have been all over that Chinese food!
  • davefromsask1
    davefromsask1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have made a habit of going for a 30 minute walk at lunch time. I typically eat my lunch first so I'm not too hungry. It helps with the temptation of eating what I shouldn't in the lunch room. Around here there seems to be alot of muffins and doughnuts calling my name but so far I have been able to resist them.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm going to tell you what I think you wanted to hear: that sucks and I totally sympathize. That said, get some meal ideas from peeps on here. After five years of eating this way, I've finally learned to make some tasty foods. I just tend to save my calories for din-din.
  • daltonjsmom
    daltonjsmom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Since I only get a 20 min. lunch that doesn't happen--we all bring a lunch. Suggestions: get out of the office and/or bring the most fragrant hot lunch available. Chili, broccoli stuffed baked potato, sauerkraut, veggie soup, veggies with beans & taco sauce, etc. I make soups ahead of time and then freeze individual portions so I get a variety. I just defrost them on the counter in my classroom and then microwave for lunch.
  • mellyrajs
    mellyrajs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom so I use my lunch hour to hit the gym. I do let myself splurge every once in a while and go to lunch with the group, we had Mexican yesterday :). But I try to get a workout in and then eat what I brought from home. Saves me so much money too! I think it is all about balance.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It is really hard, really tempting, and definitely a struggle! You are doing great.
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It hard when the order some of my favorites and if i can leave for a walk when they have the food in the office i will take a walk. i hope these cravings will go away eventually!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    sometimes join in with them
    but other times bring in your home cooked food so you dont feel you are missing out
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The downside of being a teacher, the 20 minute lunch, combined with the lingering students and things you are expected to do during lunch like check emails, voicemails, and your mailbox gives me little time to eat as well. I like to bring yogurts, oatmeal, soup, cheesesticks, fruits, nuts, and salads to scarf down quickly. I feel for you and I also look longingly at my coworkers fast food lunches, even though I don't think they taste that good.