Good (inexpensive) HRM?

Options
Troll
Troll Posts: 922 Member
I need a heart rate monitor to track my calories burned. I'd like one without a chest strap (they irritate me because they're almost always too big or bulky). I have a watch but it tracks calories burned by a pedometer (are you aware that bench presses don't count as WALKING? My watch does! haha) the HRM feature just beeps like crazy to tell me i'm about to have a stroke, which is nice of it to do because i don't want to die or anything, but maybe give me a few calories burned for nearly bursting a vavle?

I'd also like it to NOT be $50 or more, like the ones i've found. GAH. For that, i'll just work out for another hour, ya know?

Thank ya'll!

Replies

• mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    From what I've understood the most accurate are the ones with a chest strap, you can get a NewBalance from Target for like $69ish...I wear the NewBalance and it's not bulky at all...
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You probably won't find a quality HRM for less than 50 dollars unless you get one used and even then it's hard to find.

I managed to get a Polar FT4 on ebay for 65 dollars including shipping and handling from somebody who had never used it. It does have a chest strap but it really doesn't bother me. It's not very big at all and it doesn't slip and it makes me feel better to know that it's very accurate.

Sorry I couldn't help you out more.
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex HRM with a chest strap that isn't any more uncomfortable than a wired bra being on you during a workout. It really doesn't bother me. The TImex one will calculate calories burned, average heart rate, peak heart rate, length of activity and I even turned off the sound on mine. I don't want to hear the beeping all the time! You can get a Timex one on amazon for $40. I love mine and am so glad I got it becuase MFP was WAYYYYY downgrading my calorie burn so it's nice to see I'm really burning so much during a work out!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I bought one off ebay for £7 including P&P / 4 ish $.
    And it was good, for like an hour... IT started failing to be able to take my pulse, and to get an accurate reading you had to keep your hear pumping at the same rate throo the entire workout, which made cool downs totally mess up how many calories it tells you you have burned...

From the experience get one with a heart strap, otherwise dont waist your money!
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been using the polar one from Walmart, it was $49, it does have a chest strap. However, the strap is very compact and I don't have an issue with irritation. Worth a try for the price. :)