Squat advice

Options
I have noticed a slight improvement since I've been doing squats but the difference seems to be how it feels not looks.I'm aiming for a slightly bigger/rounder bum! Does anyone have any advice on what food I should eat? And any exercise that will help. Thanks :)

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Since it's a muscle, you'll need to eat to grow, which means a slight calorie surplus, but you can still strengthen while in a deficit if you are trying to lose.

That said... protein. Preferably .6 to .8 grams per lb of your lean mass. Doesn't matter what source really, just protein.

Squats will help somewhat, so will weighted glute bridges, romanian deadlifts, split squats, any type of lunges, etc. Basically anything that works your glutes.

Check out "Strong Curves" by Bret Contreras. It'll be a big help.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Since it's a muscle, you'll need to eat to grow, which means a slight calorie surplus, but you can still strengthen while in a deficit if you are trying to lose.

That said... protein. Preferably .6 to .8 grams per lb of your lean mass. Doesn't matter what source really, just protein.

Squats will help somewhat, so will weighted glute bridges, romanian deadlifts, split squats, any type of lunges, etc. Basically anything that works your glutes.

Check out "Strong Curves" by Bret Contreras. It'll be a big help.

This plus once fat and protein minimums are met fill in rest with carbs
  • brillmer87
    brillmer87 Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    The guys above pretty much nailed it.
    More importantly, focus on form more than the amount of weight you are lifting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yep. Get into a surplus. I've only been in one for 3 months and my hips are an inch and a half bigger.

Also, there are more/even better exercises to target the booty besides squats. Pick some from the Strong Curves program. I've been having luck with just hip thrusts and cable pull throughs in addition to squats.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yep. Get into a surplus. I've only been in one for 3 months and my hips are an inch and a half bigger.

Also, there are more/even better exercises to target the booty besides squats. Pick some from the Strong Curves program. I've been having luck with just hip thrusts and cable pull throughs in addition to squats.

SC is a very popular program for women looking to build their rear chain. There's a group or two here dedicated to it as well.
  • ashleyrc6
    ashleyrc6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with all the previous posts, I think a surplus is key as well as lots of accessory work. I think heavy glute bridges and cable kickbacks have personally helped me.
  • amyglynn5
    amyglynn5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice guys ☺☺☺
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    +1 for the Glute Guy Bret Contreras