Kinda crazy question

Options
I will be starting a new job (very excited) and I am going from a job where I sat for 8.5 hours to a job were I will be walking approx 6 hrs a day. Can I log those hours as exercise or no because it won't be vigorous?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. Up your activity level to reflect it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    No, you increase your activity level on MFP.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, because it's part of your lifestyle. Instead, I would change my activity level to either lightly active or active
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't. I'd view the extra activity as a bonus for now. You may change your activity level in your MFP settings if you notice you are losing weight quicker after a month or so on the job, but I'd kind of take a "wait and see" approach at this point. Congrats on the new job!
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    get a fitbit and let it make the adjustments for you!
  • HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would consider a casual walking speed for 6 hours everyday as active. Although, I do like the idea of not changing anything on MFP and seeing how your weight is affected. If more than 2lb loss per week, I would change to lightly active.. then if still the same result after two weeks of that test, change to active. Losing too quickly will probably turn out to bite you in the butt in the long run. Good luck and enjoy your new job!
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great thank you all. I kinda figured that too. I will see how it goes. I was looking to get a fitbit, but I don't have a phone to attach to it and I think it needs one but I am no tech person so I could be speaking out my nose for all I know, LOL. Again Thank you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Great thank you all. I kinda figured that too. I will see how it goes. I was looking to get a fitbit, but I don't have a phone to attach to it and I think it needs one but I am no tech person so I could be speaking out my nose for all I know, LOL. Again Thank you.

you dont need one, at least not for the charge hr

and no, you wont count it as exercise. be warned though- youll likely retain water and gain for a short time as your body adjust, then lose it and possibly some real weight before your body adjusts to the new normal.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

You can sync it to a computer at the end of the day, but I know for me the phone syncing is what's helpful. Just fyi :)
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you do log it, underestimate by a lot. I wouldn't log 6 hours of walking, but maybe 60-90 minutes of leisurely walking. Maybe.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I'd count it as exercise, for the 1st 2 weeks but not after because then, our bodies adjust & it becomes apart of our lifestyle.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't. I'd view the extra activity as a bonus for now. You may change your activity level in your MFP settings if you notice you are losing weight quicker after a month or so on the job, but I'd kind of take a "wait and see" approach at this point. Congrats on the new job!

This in my opinion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,930 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

You can sync it to a computer at the end of the day, but I know for me the phone syncing is what's helpful. Just fyi :)

My FitBit One does not need a phone and syncs whenever I am near my computer. It came with a little thing called a dongle that I leave plugged in to a USB port on my computer.

71hckD5nbYL._SY355_.jpg
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

This in my opinion.

I concur.

If it is mainly slow walking and standing you may not find the caloric change enough to worry about. Light activity at the best.

Cheers, h.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit. I walk for about 8 hours a day and even when I had my activity level set to high It was giving me additional exercise calories. I usually walk about 13-14k steps just at work. I have my activity level set to sedentary and I usually get well over 1,000 extra calories added to my goal every day. National average is 5k. So yes it might count as exercise calories but you need to track it accurately.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I'd count it as exercise, for the 1st 2 weeks but not after because then, our bodies adjust & it becomes apart of our lifestyle.

While you might become more comfortable with a sudden increase in regular activity over a period of time, it's not true that your body adjusts to it, calorically speaking. You feel it less, you get used to it, but you're still burning more calories doing the thing than not doing the thing. This goes for adding an actual exercise routine as well as the OP's example of a changing work style. If she burned 2000cal/day at her desk job, and she burns 2400 cal/day at her new job, she'll be burning more at the latter well after 2 weeks from now. I think what you mean is as related to weight, because you do burn less calories as a smaller person than as a larger one, but that's not activity related, it's scale related.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

While you might become more comfortable with a sudden increase in regular activity over a period of time, it's not true that your body adjusts to it, calorically speaking. You feel it less, you get used to it, but you're still burning more calories doing the thing than not doing the thing. This goes for adding an actual exercise routine as well as the OP's example of a changing work style. If she burned 2000cal/day at her desk job, and she burns 2400 cal/day at her new job, she'll be burning more at the latter well after 2 weeks from now. I think what you mean is as related to weight, because you do burn less calories as a smaller person than as a larger one, but that's not activity related, it's scale related.

I meant that it becomes less physically taxing & thus were then able to do more. For instance on Thanksgiving I walked a 3 mile round trip, to buy lemons; that I forgot. Since my body wasn't use to doing that, for over a year; that chore was my exercise because I wasn't able to do any additional exercising. If I'd do that chore everyday, for over 2 weeks; my body'd become use to it & thus I'd be able to also do my regular exercises.