Knee Support

Options
I'm looking for knee support recommendations. The pain is normally just when I squat and do lunges (just body weight, no additional weight added). I've started taking a core cardio class that uses a lot of lunges and squats and I want something to wear that isn't too bulky and will just ease the discomfort. I'm thinking a sleeve type and not the type with the hinges on the side. I don't think I need that much support.

Replies

• roddyx7
    roddyx7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out the brand: Rehband

Can get it at www.roguefitness.com
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    roddyx7 wrote: »
    Check out the brand: Rehband

Can get it at www.roguefitness.com

I was eyeing one up on Amazon by Rehband. Thanks!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do you know the cause of the issue? Personally wouldn't use some random support that looked good on amazon or at the super center.

I'd get a recommendation from a medical professional.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i wear sleeves from elite fps. But i have a feeling your knees need just need to slowly strengthen up over time, since you just started this class. Lots of people just starting out use assistance like the TRX when they first squat to help them with form and to reduce some of our own body weight. It takes time to build up the muscles and tendons and strengthen the joints. If the pain is real bad you might want to see a DR because knee pain is not a good thing.
  • tracyarose
    tracyarose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have mild arthritis in both my knees and the doctor told me to stop doing lunges altogether. Maybe only do semi squats as opposed to full deep squats too. I think you need to concentrate on building up the muscles around your knee. There is a special cross trainer at my gym based on exercises used for astronauts - its amazing! When you use it, it puts no pressure on your joints at all and simply works on building up your muscle. I have seen a lot of improvement since using it. Good luck :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for knee support recommendations. The pain is normally just when I squat and do lunges (just body weight, no additional weight added). I've started taking a core cardio class that uses a lot of lunges and squats and I want something to wear that isn't too bulky and will just ease the discomfort. I'm thinking a sleeve type and not the type with the hinges on the side. I don't think I need that much support.

I advise against trying to work through knee pain. Skip the class until you have slowly strengthened the muscles around your knees. Here are the stretches my doctor gave me. You may want to check in with your own doctor.

7wv1hw3kd4wz.jpg
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't have cartilage in my left knee and that's the one that gives me troubles. It's mostly lunges. Squats only hurt if I do them after the lunges. I was hoping a sleeve would help, but might have to work on strengthening the muscles, too. Thanks for all of the advice!!