HIIT workouts and running sneakers

Options
Hi all- I'm in need of a new workout! I have heard some great things about HIIT workouts, anyone have any thoughts ?

Also, I'm searching for new running shoes. I'm typically running 3.5 miles a day on the treadmill and hoping to increase that by spring. I've been told Nike frees are great and also Aasics. Any advice would be appreciated !

Replies

• emilyrosebecker
    emilyrosebecker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi all- I'm in need of a new workout! I have heard some great things about HIIT workouts, anyone have any thoughts ?

Also, I'm searching for new running shoes. I'm typically running 3.5 miles a day on the treadmill and hoping to increase that by spring. I've been told Nike frees are great and also Aasics. Any advice would be appreciated !

• sam_at_mill_lodge
    Options
    Tabata ...it is difficult but awesome
  • maxally777
    maxally777 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As far as the running sneakers go if you can get to a running store they can recommend a certain type of sneaker like a neutral or stability sneaker depending on how you run. They can either watch you run on a treadmill or look at your posture and it doesn't cost you anything. This will help considering you are planning on increasing your mileage. A decent pair of sneakers is expensive but well worth it.

As far as brands go there are so many on the market it's really a matter of personal preference and how they feel on your feet. You can also go on runnersworld.com and read a review they usually rate the top 10 running sneakers. Good luck.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running store and get fitted for sneakers.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

if you're running further than 6 miles, then I'd suggest an alternative to the Nike Free's. those mimic minimalistic running
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    More than 20 mins is a waste of time and counter-productive. A 20 minute "Sprint 8" HIIT program once or twice a week is all you need. If you use an elliptical, shoes won't matter.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do a hiit class 3 days per week and crossfit and heavy lifting. Love them all. Just different. But it is as difficult as you want to make it or are able to make it. I highly recommend it!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    bluefox9er wrote: »

if you're running further than 6 miles, then I'd suggest an alternative to the Nike Free's. those mimic minimalistic running

I just completed a 20 mile run on the treadmill in my Merrell Bare Access minimal shoes. Long runs don't necessarily contraindicate a minimal shoe. But I don't know if MY great shoe will be OP's great shoe. That's individual specific. The running store might be able to help her out - they wanted me in something to correct overpronation. I'm a rebel.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    bluefox9er wrote: »

Shoes are an individual thing. As a 6'2" 205 pound male, I completed a marathon wearing Free's with no issues. As others have suggested, go to a local running store.

I would also suggest buying a couple different types of shoes and rotating them on your runs. Repetitive motion is the top cause of running injuries. Rotating types of shoes as well as inclines, type of surface and speed/distance of runs can all help someone avoid injury.
  • kristidove
    kristidove Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been doing HIIT. It is tough but it keeps me guessing. I hate a boring workout. I just YouTube one and go for it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm doing tabata in a water cardio class. What I heard there was that if you're doing it right (can barely breathe at the end of the 20 sec) and enough sets, you only need to do it once a week. It's killer, but it's been great cross training for my running and other activities.