Beside chips

Options
I love salsa and guacamole. What are some options to dip in salsa/guacamole besides chips cause I know chips are not healthy. I'm looking for something good thats also healthy and has about the same texture as a chip to dip in dips. Please give me options.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    A spoon (maybe not so much the texture)
  • bwaits07
    bwaits07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I won't eat a spoon.. Lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A spoon (maybe not so much the texture)

That is how I eat my guac. With a spoon.

I would just portion out a serving of chips and put away the bag/bowl. I can't think of anything else I'd want to dip into salsa.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love using bell pepper slices since they have some crunch, but they're thicker. Awesome for buffalo chicken dip as well (was absolutely fabulous last year for the super bowl).

You could do relatively thin jicama slices as well.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll use a serving of rice crackers.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My first thought was carrot chips......but jicama sounds interesting

You could bake your own tortilla chips
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    pretzel or bagel chips, veggies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I use Snack Factory Pretzel chips. They are flat and you can load a mountain of guac on them.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Jicama is really good but I like those mini sweet peppers - they're perfect for scooping.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like baby carrots...if you are looking for an actual chip where you get a quite a few more chips per oz:
    http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-facts/nabisco-air-crisps-wheat-thins-original-flavor-crispy-baked-snacks-367.htm
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    What is it about the chips you don't like (health wise)? If it's the sodium, try nonsalted ones. If it's the fat content that's hard to fit in your day, buy (or make) baked ones.

Other than that, idunno. Veggies sound good. Or, I know you said chip-like, but guac and salsa (and a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt) is fantastic on a baked potato. With some lean meat or beans, I've made a dinner out of that plenty times.
  • Cat0703
    Cat0703 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks or rice crackers!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    bwaits07 wrote: »
    I love salsa and guacamole. What are some options to dip in salsa/guacamole besides chips cause I know chips are not healthy. I'm looking for something good thats also healthy and has about the same texture as a chip to dip in dips. Please give me options.

If they fit into your calorie goal, why are they unhealthy?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My roommate uses those pretty purple carrots to dip in guacamole
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Don't dip. Use salsa and guacamole to top scrambled eggs, or beans, or steak, or chicken, or baked potato...
  • bwaits07
    Options
    Found my healthy chip. Special K sea salt cracker chips. Low in calories and low in fat. Amazing!!
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Although chips are delicious they and crackers are my current Kryptonite, so instead I slice a cucumber up really thinly for dipping.

I once read a raw vegan blog or cookbook (can't remember which) that talked about using pieces of romaine hearts to dip and that you "won't miss chips at all!" I did not find this to be the case but it's another option. Prefer cucumbers, though.
  • bwaits07
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    Although chips are delicious they and crackers are my current Kryptonite, so instead I slice a cucumber up really thinly for dipping.

I once read a raw vegan blog or cookbook (can't remember which) that talked about using pieces of romaine hearts to dip and that you "won't miss chips at all!" I did not find this to be the case but it's another option. Prefer cucumbers, though.

Thank you for the option but I despise cucumbers.lol
  • peachykeen89
    peachykeen89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Veggie straws\chips I love em... 130 cals for 38 =)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Clearly, it's Friday because I was trying to figure out if "Beside chips" was a brand I was unaware of (that one missing letter can really throw me off sometimes!) I agree that sliced bell peppers make great dippers for guac and salsa, also ranch and creamy dips. Nothing wrong with chips, but I'm low carb so I use vegetables in place of chips.