What made you decide to act? - If you comment, I'll send you a friend request

Options
Hi Gals n Guys

I'd be really interested in sharing our reasons for taking action and fighting the bulge. I honestly believe sharing ideas and experiences help us feel less alone in our journeys and helps us stay on track.

Me - I've been engaged for 10 years this year and thought it about time I stopped putting the nuptials off because I cannot stand my weight.

What motivated you? Do you have a special occasion you want to look your best for?

Anyone who comments, I will happily send a friend request to.

Michelle xx <3

Replies

• HydroThunder71
    HydroThunder71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle

You pose an good question. There are sure to be some interesting responses!

My husband and I have four kids (oldest 9, youngest 5) and I put on loads of weight (45 kg) during the pregnancies and the several years of being an at-home mum. Our second child has a slight weight problem and the other night we watched the opening episode of The Biggest Loser, to try and get her (and us) motivated to lose a little weight (or in my case half a ton of weight).

The show was so motivating, and afterwards I immediately signed up for MFP. Determined to lose the 45 kg... feel so sluggish and I must be a boring mum because of it!

Funnily enough I lost quite a few kilos before our wedding 11 years ago. I was highly motivated and my now-husband kept praising me for this. I told him "If you were going to be seen by everyone you know in a skin-tight white dress you'd be motivated too! You're just lucky you get to wear a tux with huge shoulder pads!"

Hope your upcoming nuptials gives you incentive too.
  • thehexenbiest
    thehexenbiest Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That really is an interesting question, Michelle. I'm curious about this, too. :)

For me, there were two incentives. The moment I knew I had to do something was the classic: I wanted to put on a pair of jeans and it didn't fit. Happened a million times to me but this time was special because I wore them just over a month ago and it was fine, so I gained a lot of weight in a short time and knew I was on a downward spiral.

The second reason, which I also turned into my first mini goal, is that I'll be going on a cruise in April. We'll have many stops in places where I want to see a lot. But at this point, even going to the mall for some shopping leaves me huffing and puffing and I don't want to waste my time during the holiday just taking breaks and sitting in cafes. I wanna lose 10kg by then and get into the habit of just walking more.
  • sierra71foxtrot
    sierra71foxtrot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

Well for me it was having to replace my wardrobe with new clothes because the ones I had just didnt fit me anymore. I found it very depressing not being able to wear clothes I loved. I got down to the weight I wanted and brought all new clothes for last summer. I have since been naughty and crept back up slightly, but I now have to get back down otherwise all my new clothes from last year wont fit me this year!!

Also I am approaching 45years of age and have had some peri menopause symptoms so i thought getting fitter and a healthy weight would be a good idea as I've heard exercise can help alleviate some of the symptoms.

Good luck to everyone! :-)
  • countryspiritedwmn
    countryspiritedwmn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am going to be 46 in March and over the years have become very non-active. I tire easily and have no energy whatsoever. We have 6 children combined between the two of us, 4 adults and 2 teens left at home. I want to lose weight and get more active and get in better health. I am fearful of dying in the next 10 years bc of not eating right and just not taking myself. My family is my motivation. I have a 6 year old grandson and I want to be around for many years to come for my children, grandchildren, and family. I have lots of life left in me and I am fearful of it being cut short. My family is my everything.
  • TheBlushingBrunette
    Options
    It really strikes me the different reasons for each of us taking that first step to a happier, more confident version of ourselves.
    No matter the reason, it is OUR reason, it's OUR personal journey and it's important to share that journey with like minded people, and for that reason I think MFP is invaluable.
    One question I have been asked by friends and colleagues alike, is why I think I 'allowed' myself to become the size I am. Allow...? Did I allow this? It's a good question I suppose, one I think I need to ponder further, but there is one thing I am pretty certain of...I don't think it's something I will be able to explain to someone who has never faced weight issues, because how do you explain the battle between wishing desperately to be slimmer and the demon that is all too ready to convince you to reach for the biscuit tin?
    What do you think? Do you feel you 'allowed' yourself to get to the point where you found yourself saying enough! Could you explain to someone not familiar with weight issues how you feel?

Whatever your views, your feelings - I want to wish you all the very best of luck in rediscovering you and to reaching your goals. And I want to thank you for responding to my post <3 xx
  • mnshanbhag
    mnshanbhag Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The risk of developing diabetes made me decide to do something about my weight. Have singed up with a personal trainer but I know gym ain't my thing, just eating healthier (less) and waking more. 5kgs down in 2 months, another 15kgs to go...
  • dervari
    dervari Posts: 805 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    First Motivator: Posterior nose bleed that sent me to the hospital. BP was 190/130. Dr said it could have been a vessel in by brain instead of in my nose.

Other Motivators: Tired of feeling run down, not being able to sit in a booth comfortably, paying $50 for jeans and $25 for a plain T-shirt.

Started probably around 400. Don't know 'cause I couldn't weigh on a bathroom scale. I weighed in Jan of 2015 and was at 340. Down to 260 now.

I love hiking and used to hate hiking where there were large elevation gains. Now I seek those hikes out. Training to hike some of the Appalachian Trail this year.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    To be eye candy for me wife and to honor God for giving me this body and this life!
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What motivated me to lose the first 50 pounds was I was tired of being handed amazing opportunities and not taking them because I was too afraid I wouldn't fit. Things like zip-lining, or parasailing. Then, I got sick, and the weight loss was put on pause. My motivation this time? That same sickness makes me fall over or collapse a lot. If my husband is gonna have to pick me up off the floor, I may as well do what I can to make it easier.
  • FrothyChocolate
    FrothyChocolate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The results of an Hb1Ac blood test. Next day I changed everything. Down 19.9 kilos (43 lbs) in just over three months, and I have a further 35 kilos to go. Doesn't seem so daunting now, though, because I've finally found a way of eating I don't struggle with! I think that's part of the key to permanent weight loss: doing something sustainable and pleasant.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My tipping point was realizing (during the holidays) that all my clothes had shrunk a size or two in the last year. My enduring motivation is that I've seen what being over weight and/or obese had done to many people I know, some of whom I love. I see what it does to their ability to go out and enjoy a walk or a shopping trip, the effort household chores are, and how unhappy that makes them. I don't want to walk that same path. I started down that road in the last year. Now is the time for me change that and choose my path (at least as much as I have control over).
  • mtp9498
    mtp9498 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was sedentary and overweight since I was a kid. Tried many diets over the years but never really made much progress. What motivated me was listening a podcast host that was close to my age (mid 40s) that lost over 100 lbs. I decided that if he could do it then I could too. That was over four years ago. I lost about 120 lbs then gained back about 60 of them because I stopped keeping track of my intake and fell back into old habits. Then last March I hit it again and am back down around that -120 lb mark. I'm squarely in the healthy BMI range and am in the best shape of my life.

So, if you are like me, I did it - you can too!
  • Saviik
    Saviik Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What kicked me into gear was actually watching a Youtuber. He wasn't even doing a weight loss/fitness video. He just stated that he was trying something and I thought "He's doing something about it.. why am I still sitting around and not?" I got up in the middle of the video and went to the fitness center to get a membership.

I have a lot of reasons to do better for myself, but not enough motivation or willpower. I have already had several days where I thought "Why even bother?" Trying to get weight off and fighting my inner demons is quite the task. :/
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I hated the way l looked in pictures, hated buying clothes several sizes larger than last year. I hated buying "full " tankini bathing suits and not fitting into my bikinis.
  • fitgirl4change
    fitgirl4change Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow bulge fighters, I have been out of shape and unhappy with my weight for some years now. I have started and stopped many diet and work out routines with little results. My best efforts lasted a couple weeks at the most. This time around I got a personal trainer and have started eating pretty clean. I didn't say anything to anyone about what I was doing because I've stopped and started so many times and quite frankly it's embarrassing for your family and co workers to watch you fail time and time again. Well the changes that I have been making we're noticeable I guess and people started to inquire about what I was doing, so I told those who asked. Well, I had a co worker tell me they didn't think I'd be able to stick with it. Later that night my family was eating dinner, when I sat down with my food which was different than what my family was eating my husband kind of snickered. I'm sure he didn't mean to, but that little snicker kind of hurt my feelings. That little snicker spoke more words to me than he could have ever realized. I decided at that moment I'm going to do this for myself, by myself. Im determined to reach every goal I set for myself. I'm hoping to give and receive inspiration here. Heres to the journey!
  • perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Last time I saw my mother she poked me in the stomach and started giggling about all the free meals I've gotten since I got a promotion with my company. She kept poking me in the stomach the whole visit. This goal is partly for me and partly to get back at her (I am a being of spite, wooooo!). I admitted to myself that I'm not how I want to look anymore and that I do need to get healthier. And also I really want to make her eat her words.
  • Limon421
    Limon421 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    * I had been thinking about loosing weight but just never started even though I was really having problems. But when one of my grandsons got engaged I joined weight watchers. I attend weekly meetings. But use mfp to track everything. I've lost 62 lbs
    * need to still loose 30. I'm a slow looser but still loosing. Having 3 more great grandsons in the next two weeks
  • TaraMizzou
    TaraMizzou Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been heavy most of my adult life. My first husband was verbally abusive and was on me quite a bit about my weight. When I met my now husband he has always loved me unconditionally and thinks I'm beautiful no matter what. I gained 50lbs over the last 11 years and not so much as a peep! So I think I kind of just did whatever because I was finally free of judgement.

For once in my life i am not dieting for appearance (I mean that will be a bonus), but I'm tired of not feeling good! My back, knees, and hips hurt! I'm only 38!!! Also, my only daughter graduates this May and she will be leaving for college. I feel really bad because I feel I haven't taught her to be healthy. I want her to see her mom healthy and try to teach her with the little time I have before she starts her new journey!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Seeing my mom with arthritis that is only made worse by the extra weight she carries. There is so much more of this world that I want to see, so I am here, getting healthy. :)
  • tans3352
    tans3352 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Simply put, my stomach wasn't hurting all the time anymore and it was easy enough decision after that.
    I have had a lovely few years, diagnosed with Celiac disease in 2013, 3 months later, hypothyroid, 3 months later my stomach starting hurting again despite going completely gluten free, couldn't figure out why, 1 year later, doing a FODMAP diet, realised it was lactose, am now lactose and gluten free and feeling well and can now exercise without a sore abdomen and eat well without suffering dire consequences.