Boys vs Girls in co ed sports

Options
Sooo... I play soccer at a reasonably competitive level. I also play on rec teams for fun and practice and social aspects.
I have noticed a lot of guys (well, like 95% of the time men, occasionally the dense woman) are total dbags. Say, for example, I'm defending someone, the guys in discussion here will double man mark and leave their player open AND muck up the play. However, if it was another dude - even less skilled than me - they'll leave him alone to defend as he sees fit.

I'm confused by this. These guys aren't bad guys in real day to day life. Reasonably fair, respectful, etc. But once the adrenaline and perhaps animalistic instincts kick in, they're kinds buttholes.

Any experience in this?

Replies

• KarlyK929
    KarlyK929 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I play adult rec volleyball once a week on a coed team of my friends. All great people, one of them being my long term boyfriend, but the guys think they deserve to hit the ball EVERY time it comes over the net. There's a rule in our league that if the ball is hit more than one time on a side, at least one of those hits has to be a girl. The guys complain about this rule all of the time, and every time I have to explain to them that if that rule didn't exist, the girls would never have a chance to hit the ball.

This was obvious on a night we stayed late and just played for fun (not in the league). Since the rule no longer applied, I got to hit the ball MAYBE 4 whole times in the two hours we played. I honestly don't think the guys even realize they're doing it, but they totally leave the girls out. The most frustrating part is, another girl and I have played competitively and are arguably the best on our team, but we're not over 6' so the guys think they're sooooo much better.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Man alive, it drives me bonkers. Like, I am the person that will pass to everyone and any one. We are all there for 'fun first' and yes - competitive nature kicks in but brah- gear down!!
  • bthao7
    bthao7 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My guess is that they subconsciously come over to help defend. In the back of their mind, there's an inkling you will lose your man 1 v 1. Totally sexist. I get it. I play coed rec soccer too.

As for guys being ball hogs, yeah I agree it's attributed to our egos. Alot of the dbags think they're Messi when they're really just a wanna be. I personally would rather pass than shoot.