Social Activities - should I stop?

Options
The only time I ever mess up on my diet is when I'm in social settings - at a bar, restaurant, a party, etc. I've tried to attend these events and be healthy but 9/10 times I can't control myself. I think I'll just have a beer and before I know it, I've had a few brews and half a pizza. Am I better off just avoiding these situations for the most part? Any tricks to attend and not go overboard?

Replies

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Life would be different without your social circles. Is that really how you want to live?

I vote to just accept when you go over, and work out a little more the rest of the week, and/or eat a little less on other days before/after the party day(s).

If you're not into those ideas, fill up on low cal high volume foods before you leave home so that you're less hungry and can make better food decisions at the parties. Alcohol tends to weaken my resolve, so i really limit my intake
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to go to this type of thing why not plan for it? Eat less during the day, maybe save some calories over the days leading up to it, do some extra exercise to offset the anticipated calorie intake, load up on veggies before you go out so you get full faster when you start on the pizza. Leave the credit cards at home and only carry enough cash to buy the amount you know you can eat and a tip for the bartender/server.
  • coachfeliciad
    coachfeliciad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you know that they are that big of a weak point then I say yes. Changes are never easy, especially when it's a lifestyle change to get healthier. There are some things we have to dial back on or cut out completely if the changes we want to make are important to us. You could always wait until your changes are more solid and your self control is better and try again down the road in moderation but for now you might want to hold off
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You are going to have social events for the rest of your life. There will always be things that crop up you weren't planning for and days you go ovee. You'll have to make your peace with that if you want to maintain successfully. Take a break or limit some of your activities if you really want, but I kept going out with friends. Sometimes I had to accept a little less weight loss that week. But I don't think I would have been successful in the long term if I'd cut my friends out completely.
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If it was me I would not miss out on social events. Just 'think it out' if you know you will probably go out then eat very light during the day and do extra cardio. So a few times a week is no big deal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Eating to achieve a healthy weight is not a temporary thing, it's a "forever" thing. Speaking only for myself, I'm not willing to give up my social life forever. So, I've been using the weight loss process as a way to learn ways of eating that I can use permanently to stay at a healthy weight.

For social occasions, I do a variety of the same things others have mentioned: Cut back my calorie budget a little each day for a few days in advance to "save up"; get some extra exercise to balance out the extra food; use mental rehearsals of the event to plan out a good way to eat; eat sensible things beforehand so I'm not hungry; go over my calorie budget and know that that will delay my weight loss, or require me to lose extra weight; eat lightly the rest of the day to balance out the social occasion; or some combination of the above.

That said, alcohol can be a complicating factor (lowers inhibitions/will power). One can switch to a lower alcohol drink, as one option. Personally, I like my craft beer, so I'm more likely to make it a point to drink at least one large glass of water for each glass of beer to make it last longer, and perhaps have some sensible but slow-to-eat food with the beer to slow me down & moderate the effect of the alcohol.

If I handle a situation poorly, I think it over afterward & decide what I could have done differently . . . then don't stress about it further and return persistently to my healthy routine. It works.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I go out but I drink soda water with lime or kombucha, if I don't drink alcohol, I have no problems with my resolve, that's just me. Still plan on having alcohol but much rarer than the amount I go out. I go out with friends 2-3x a week, but maybe only drink once a month? right now i'm doing dry january, I still see my friends all the time.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, blowing off your social events for the sake of your calorie count sounds like a very lonely way to live. Go out, have fun, try to watch what you eat, and promise yourself that you'll throw in some extra cardio for a few days afterwords to burn off that pizza and beer. :)
  • ledzeppelinfan1
    ledzeppelinfan1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a simple way of dealing with this. I don't do free days. I don't make allowances for cheating every day...or one day per week. I aim for excellence; knowing I'll probably not be perfect, but I'll come close.

HOWEVER...life is meant for living. If my parents come to town and are going to take me out to eat; all bets are off. I'm having what I want, but just for that meal or occasion. Same with parties, etc. However, I don't throw the whole day away. Also, I don't punish myself the next day with starvation or more exercise; I just resume life doing what I was doing.

Look, this fitness thing is hard enough. Don't make it harder than it already is.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How about reserving 100 calories a day, before a social event & possible a 100 calories after; depending upon how many social events there're and/or exercise more?
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If it's happening several times a week, cut down the frequency - but don't cut it out completely. Even people who've never had an extra ounce of fat on their body in their lives overeat sometimes. It's part of life. Just add an extra 30 minutes of exercise the next few times you work out, try to walk a little more, and/or have a smaller breakfast than usual the next day, especially if you're not feeling that hungry.

You don't want to live as a hermit for the rest of your life, or to alienate your friends because of a diet.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was never planning to completely cut out social interaction, just minimize a lot until I reach my goal. Recently, I spent ~6 months limiting social activities to once/week and I lost 50 lbs and was basically at my goal weight/best shape of my life. It was well worth it. Since then, I relapsed a bit and gained some of that weight back - mostly because I started going out 2-3 times/week and lost track of my diet. Thanks all for the advice - I think I'll go back to going out once/week and plan accordingly for that day (more exercise/save calories/etc.). I think that's a good balance.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Plan your consumption and log it in your diary before you go and then stick to your plan. Even then, an occasional self indulgent day isn't the end of the world.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I was never planning to completely cut out social interaction, just minimize a lot until I reach my goal. Recently, I spent ~6 months limiting social activities to once/week and I lost 50 lbs and was basically at my goal weight/best shape of my life. It was well worth it. Since then, I relapsed a bit and gained some of that weight back - mostly because I started going out 2-3 times/week and lost track of my diet. Thanks all for the advice - I think I'll go back to going out once/week and plan accordingly for that day (more exercise/save calories/etc.). I think that's a good balance.

Sounds like a plan if you already know it works. I'm the kind of person who starts trying to figure out when she can leave a party as soon as she gets there so I don't really have good advice specifically about social situations. However, I have had times when I've had to drastically reduce the number of times I ate certain foods, just because I needed to retrain my brain and develop better habits (control.) As long as it is short term (and I consider even 6 months or a year short term in comparison to the length of one's life) and you're working toward developing better impulse control and behaviors, I think that your plan is a good one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Sounds like you got this! :)
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Life would be different without your social circles. Is that really how you want to live?

I vote to just accept when you go over, and work out a little more the rest of the week, and/or eat a little less on other days before/after the party day(s).

If you're not into those ideas, fill up on low cal high volume foods before you leave home so that you're less hungry and can make better food decisions at the parties. Alcohol tends to weaken my resolve, so i really limit my intake

I agree, don't stop living your life, it's much too important for your overall wellbeing.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    when i quit smoking i had to stop all of my regular activities. bars, parties, smoker friends,drinking, crossword puzzles (not kidding) coffee, salsa, (yup, i said salsa) in order to become a person who doesn't smoke. It sucked but it had to be for me to succeed. I was able to invite all those things back in after several years. (This was when you could still smoke in bars!!! remember those days? lol)

They say surround yourself with people who mimic your goals. Maybe get your friends to play kickball, go hiking, do active activities.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you gonna be a hermit the rest of your life?

ask my ex how well thats working for him....

make it work, or do what you need to do to control the situation. dont eat earlier in the day, get in extra workouts, reduce calories through the rest of the week. figure it out.

you have to learn how to deal with these things if you want to be able to maintain your loss once you reach there. limiting your social stuff know isnt teaching you ANYTHING.

i live for going out with my friends. we eat and drink and have a great time. ive lost 70pounds in the past year. you can be social and have fun and still lose weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Afterthought: Any chance you can lure any of your friends into new types of social activities: A walk/hike, some basketball, rock-climbing wall someplace, that sort of thing? Also, would you consider broadening your social circle to include some people who are more active & health-oriented, to reinforce your new, improved lifestyle? (I'm not - oh, so not! - suggesting you drop your existing friends!) I've met new folks through my gym & other active pursuits, and the activities do tend to be different, let alone the attitudes and conversation.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Make an effort to change the social activities. They don't all need to be based around alcohol and terrible food. Meet up for a hike or some other sport instead, or go for coffee instead of to a bar.