Counting steps - include the calories burned?

Options
Hi MPF,

I recently bought a pedometer because I was curious how many steps I walk in a day. I have a desk job, so I chose "sedentary" when setting up my calorie goals, and I'm curious if anyone else with a desk job counts the steps they walk as extra calories? This would especially be helpful anytime I'm out running errands, walking around the mall, etc.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP already gives you credit for some steps, so you don't want to count all of them.

If you regularly take more than 5,000 steps a day, you might want to up your activity level. That will earn you more calories.

Here's one site that shows steps to activity levels....
    http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I walk at work on a treadmill desk about three hours a day. I usually only count half the calories, the rest are just bonus. :) I usually do my 10,000 steps a day while I work....not including the steps I do just in my normal day. Today I walked over 12,000 steps while I worked.
  • margaritadiamantopulos9
    Options
    Hi MPF,

I recently bought a pedometer because I was curious how many steps I walk in a day. I have a desk job, so I chose "sedentary" when setting up my calorie goals, and I'm curious if anyone else with a desk job counts the steps they walk as extra calories? This would especially be helpful anytime I'm out running errands, walking around the mall, etc.

Appreciate your thoughts!

I love it even if I don't use that as a deficit per say I still like to see how active I've been throughout the day and who knows sometimes when you see you haven't been too active that particular day it motivates me to get my butt moving lol
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite figured how to sync mine to this app.I was thinking of posting my steps in my status. Any of you who do enjoy stepping feel free to add me and we can step together. :)