Garmin Fenix 3 - fanboys and fangirls - setup, use and hints

Options
EvgeniZyntx
EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I love my Garmin Fenix 3 and it took me a while to set it up as I wanted. Thought I'd share my setup and see how others use it. What are you using your Fenix 3 for and what tips do you have?

Primary sports are running, cycling, gym and hiking - but I'll add tri-training this year. (I use mine in parallel to a bike specific Garmin)

My set up (spoilered as long):
Watch Faces
ActiFace, Ninja, Force, Text My Time
(ActiFace is the one I use the most)

Widgets
Steps, Calories, Calendar, Notifications, Temp, MinuteCast, Weather, Music Control, ABC, VIRB, My Day, Last Run, Last Ride, Last Swim, Last Sport, Pollen, Sunrise-Sunset
Altimeter, Barometer, Compass (replaced by ABC), Golf (uninstalled)
Apps
Run
Trail Run
Run Indoors
Run Intervals (custom)
Strength (custom)
Hike
Climb
Bike
Bike Indoor
Bike Intervals (custom)
Mountain Biking (custom)
Pool Swim
Open Water
Row
Row Indoor
Stress Test
Triathlon
Find Phone
Skywatch (download)
GPS position (download)
Golf, SUP, XC Ski, Ski / Board ( removed)

Run Settings
Screen 1 (Basics) - 4 Fields : Timer, Distance, Avr Pace, HR
Screen 2 (Intervals) - 4 Fields : Lap Time, Lap Distance, Lap Pace, Lap HR
Screen 3 (Summary) - 3 Fields : Time, Calories, Pace
Screen 4 (Ascent) - 3 Fields : Elevation, Total Ascent, Max Elevation
Screen 5 (Climb) - 3 Fields : Vertical Speed, Elevation, Grade
Screen 6 (Ambient) - 3 Fields : Temp, Time, Sunset
Metronome off
Auto Lap 1 km
Auto Pause Off
Auto Climb 530 m/hr
3D Speed On
3D Distance On

Run Intervals
Auto-lap (Manual), HR Gauge - On

Strength
Screen 1 - 4 fields : Timer, HR, Avg. HR, Avg Pace
Screen 2 - 3 Fields : Lap Time, Lap HR, Timer
Screen 3 - 2 Fields : Calories, Training Effect
Screen 4 - 3 Fields : Temp, Time, Sunset

Metronome off
Auto Lap Manual
Auto Pause Off
Auto Climb Off
3D Speed Off
3D Distance Off
Auto Scroll Off
GPS Off
Power Save Normal

Bike
Screen 1 - 4 fields : HR, Timer, Distance, Speed
Screen 2 - 3 Fields : Lap Distance, Lap Time, Lap Speed
Screen 3 - 2 Fields : Vertical Speed, Elevation, Max El, Grade
Screen 4 - 3 Fields : Temp, Time, Sunset

Metronome off
Auto Lap 5 km
Auto Pause When Stopped
Auto Climb 550m/hr
3D Speed On
3D Distance On
Auto Scroll Off
GPS On
Power Save Normal

Bike Intervals - same with
Auto-lap (Manual), HR Gauge - On
Mountain Biking - same as Biking (which I might modify in the future for cadence and power data)

This website was very helpful: http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2015/garmin-fenix-3-set-up/

How are you using your watch?

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since June and still have it pretty close to factory. I modified the running and trail running screens to reflect what I like to see and I created an app for strength training. The greatest thing was when I did a mountain ultramarathon this summer I used the Live Track option so that my crew (wife and kids) could see when I was getting close to the crew accessible aid stations and the finish so they were able to meet me there. I also use the livetrack for my long runs so if I drop dead or get hit by a car my wife knows where to come take my awesome watch off my dead body so the coroner doesn't steal it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I've yet to use the live track - but I also created a strength training app - basically as a timer between lifts.
  • sjohnny
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've yet to use the live track - but I also created a strength training app - basically as a timer between lifts.

Yeah. I just have elapsed time and HR on mine.

The live track is very cool.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    In terms of analytic packages I'm also looking at Training Peaks, RunningAHEAD and GoldenCheetah. Not sure which I'll use to complement Garmin Connect over time.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    In terms of analytic packages I'm also looking at Training Peaks, RunningAHEAD and GoldenCheetah. Not sure which I'll use to complement Garmin Connect over time.

I used to use RunningAHEAD. When Garmin switched to the current Express it wasn't compatible with RunningAHEAD anymore so I stopped using it. It had some neat features that I liked though. Have they fixed their compatibility problem?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

I used to use RunningAHEAD. When Garmin switched to the current Express it wasn't compatible with RunningAHEAD anymore so I stopped using it. It had some neat features that I liked though. Have they fixed their compatibility problem?

I don't think so - the issue was Garmin forced developers to pay a big fee for the API (DCRainmaker talks about this) and it hit smaller developers hard. But I've just allowed the auto sync to load my workouts to Connect then I download a copy for RunningAhead and GoldenCheetah manually. Training Peaks still imports automatically but their cost structure might keep me away. It seems steep for the amateur.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The Fenix 3 came up on Amazon as "something you might be interested in" and it did pique my interest... How do you all like it? Worth the investment? My primary sports are running, alpine skiing, nordic skiing, and cycling...

The LiveTrack option seems awesome as my husband has been missing my half-marathon finishes because I've been finishing at a faster pace!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been using some sort of HR/GPS tool for 20 years (I have a dozen different types) - the Fenix3 comes close to being perfect for me. I love it.
    For me, if you need a GPS/HR tool then yes, it is worth the investment.
    (What do you currently use?)
    (It has specific tracking for running, alpine skiing, nordic skiing, and cycling)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 610 that I have very mixed feelings on. When it works, it's great. But it's fussy, and I hate the rechargeable battery. I've looked at the Fenix a couple of times, both because new gear is cool and also because I'd like a more reliable option to my 610.

It's spendy, though, and my mixed experiences with Garmin make me a bit gun shy.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

I don't think so - the issue was Garmin forced developers to pay a big fee for the API (DCRainmaker talks about this) and it hit smaller developers hard. But I've just allowed the auto sync to load my workouts to Connect then I download a copy for RunningAhead and GoldenCheetah manually. Training Peaks still imports automatically but their cost structure might keep me away. It seems steep for the amateur.

That's too much cardio for me right now. I also have a spreadsheet of planned workouts and a diary like log with a little more detail about workouts. Anything else is going to need to be almost automatic for me to use it in addition to what I'm already doing. And now that Garmin Connect allows me to track mileage on my shoes that's one of the main things I liked about RunningAhead. There are a couple of other features that I liked that Garmin Connect doesn't have but I'm not limping too bad for not having them. I also use Strava because the sync up is automatic and it has a couple of features that I like that Garmin Connect doesn't.
  • mitch16
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been using some sort of HR/GPS tool for 20 years (I have a dozen different types) - the Fenix3 comes close to being perfect for me. I love it.
    (It has specific tracking for running, alpine skiing, nordic skiing, and cycling)

I don't necessarily *need* a GPS/HR tool, but gadgets are fun... I have a Timex Ironman Triathlon HRM that I only really use anymore to keep track of time when I'm out running. Having used an HRM for so long (14 years?), I kind of have a good sense when I'm in the zone (or more to the point, when I'm overdoing it), and I'm not that worried about the EXACT number of calories burned since it's only an estimate anyways. For routing I use MapMyRun--I premap for my runs, or use the iPhone app when I'm out on the bike, hiking, or nordic skiing. I don't really track the alpine skiing since the Trace Snow app kills my battery. I have a fitbit flex because my company was giving them out--it's just for fun to make sure that I get my 10K+ steps in every day (even if it means doing laps around the living room while I'm brushing my teeth on my rare off-day).

What is included in the "performance bundle"--the chest strap?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I want one so bad. But it's too big for my tiny wrists. Reading this is making me think about cracking and just buying one, even if the face of it is larger than my wrist.
  • L1p0
    L1p0 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love it, and if I lost mine today, I will buy another immediately. This thing is epic.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

I don't necessarily *need* a GPS/HR tool, but gadgets are fun... I have a Timex Ironman Triathlon HRM that I only really use anymore to keep track of time when I'm out running. Having used an HRM for so long (14 years?), I kind of have a good sense when I'm in the zone (or more to the point, when I'm overdoing it), and I'm not that worried about the EXACT number of calories burned since it's only an estimate anyways. For routing I use MapMyRun--I premap for my runs, or use the iPhone app when I'm out on the bike, hiking, or nordic skiing. I don't really track the alpine skiing since the Trace Snow app kills my battery. I have a fitbit flex because my company was giving them out--it's just for fun to make sure that I get my 10K+ steps in every day (even if it means doing laps around the living room while I'm brushing my teeth on my rare off-day).

What is included in the "performance bundle"--the chest strap?

I think so.

But I only bought the watch as I have several straps lying about. Bike routing - I've been using a Garmin Edge 800 - I haven't yet coupled it with the Fenix. Had a fitbit but now relegated to a drawer - the watch does everything but proper routing (screen size).
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this post. Had mine 2 months and absolutely love it! Mostly running, walking, insanity here but also use as activity tracker too.

Using actiface as my watch face. Running 6.91 beta currently.

I find calorie burn accurate for running when wearing a hrm. Always shows a bit higher estimate running without a hrm.

For low level cardio like brisk 4.5mph walking I find the watch estimates calorie burn quite low when wearing a hrm. Without it appears to use METs and I find it accurate.

The custom workout feature is awesome where you can map out a run, have target pace/speed for each split etc and have the watch remind you when you're in a specific pace zone to meet your split... Amazing! Virtual partner, vo2 max and lactate threshold tools are also quite useful.

Rhr log is the only other app I've installed other than a couple custom data fields I tried to make to give metric fields when watch set to imperial and a calorie interval data field.

Find the hr strap works great and very accurate. Also have a scosche rhythym+ that works well for running but for treadmill and things like insanity the bouncing seems to throw off the optical a bit.

Garmin and MFP currently use different bmr+sedentary formulas so it throws off negative calorie adjustments. I use a custom daily calorie goal in mfp based off Katch-McArdle anyhow.... , but tweak my bmr in mfp by adjusting height and age so it matches Garmins so I'm basically starting even every day - so any step activity tracked from F3 will log over to mfp as a positive calorie adjustment.
  • Kar10run
    Kar10run Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just got Garmin Fenix 3 after owning the polar V800. I can't get it to pair with MFP which is frustrating me. I love the watch but I just need to learn how to use it properly.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    But I only bought the watch as I have several straps lying about. Bike routing - I've been using a Garmin Edge 800 - I haven't yet coupled it with the Fenix. Had a fitbit but now relegated to a drawer - the watch does everything but proper routing (screen size).

I've been using an 800 for the past 6 years. Upgraded last night to a 1000 because the 800 is too old to use the rear view radar system.

This is the first time in years that I've had a bike computer that might be similarly advanced as my watch. It's a weird feeling.

Love the watch. :smile:
    How are you using your watch?

27386482953_4e9f0bc0e6_o_d.jpg

27925337523_43a0a6c0c9_o_d.jpg

30007253441_110cee7145_o_d.jpg

21807689418_7480f595bc_o_d.jpg
  • mitch16
    Options
    Jealous. I had received the Fenix 3 HR as a gift, but ended up tearing my ACL before I even had a chance to pull it out of the box (had surgery back in May). My husband co-opted it so it wouldn't go to waste and promised me a new one when I was back in action--Thursday will be my first attempt at running (and walking) a 5K since the surgery (still don't have my new Fenix yet though *foot tapping anxiously*).

I do have to say, the route tracings from when my husband surfs or body boards are hilarious! Can't wait until I get some of my own :smile: