Lifting while in a deficit.

Options
I totally get that you can't put on muscle unless you eat a surplus but what happens to the muscles you already have if you start lifting while still in deficit? They must surely still improve/get stronger even if they don't get bigger?
I want to start lifting but still have 6-10lbs to shift. Should I just wait?

Replies

• Rnej
    Rnej Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lifting while in a deficit reduces the amount of muscle mass lost. So it's always a good idea to keep lifting. but you will always lose a little muscle mass while in a deficit.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    You can get stronger even if you aren't gaining muscle, it doesn't always require gaining mass in order to make other gains. ;-)

Lift away. One doesn't need to be close to their goal weight in order to start a weight training program and in fact, many who start later will say that they wish they had started lifting sooner.

And for reference, I have lifted weights for over a year now during which I've also lost just over 70 lbs. I can lift way more than when I first started. Besides the health benefits, lifting gave me a great non-scale focus with different goals I could strive to achieve.
  • jotough
    jotough Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great news! Also can't decide whether to just research a beginner lifting programme on Internet or book a session with my gym owner?
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would book with the gym owner first so that way they can show you correct form.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I expect you're right or, at least, partly right.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Research the program you are interested in & work with the trainer on form. I've been lifting on a deficit for over a year (first Stronglifts now PHUL). I try to hit my protein macro so I can preserve as much as my muscle as possible. I lost fat which revealed the muscle I had & maybe gained a little more muscle. My shoulders are much more developed than previously. My strength gains did start slowing down eventually so I'm trying to add volume and/or get fractional weights so I can continue to lift more.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    You can get stronger even if you aren't gaining muscle, it doesn't always require gaining mass in order to make other gains. ;-)

Lift away. One doesn't need to be close to their goal weight in order to start a weight training program and in fact, many who start later will say that they wish they had started lifting sooner.

And for reference, I have lifted weights for over a year now during which I've also lost just over 70 lbs. I can lift way more than when I first started. Besides the health benefits, lifting gave me a great non-scale focus with different goals I could strive to achieve.

Nuff said
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been at a deficit and lifting (beginner) for 3 months. I'm much stronger and I think my muscles are bigger. Not a ton, but every little bit helps!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Personally, I would select a program first, then book the session to get proper form on those specific exercises and to go over any you aren't familiar with, and find alternatives for any that exacerbate any joint issues or that your gym isn't equipped for. You can find tons of very good programs for free on Bodybuilding.com and even track them on their phone app.

As far as lifting in a deficit, if you're new to it, you can still gain some muscle mass. It's call "newbie gains." The smaller your deficit, the more likely you are to be able to take advantage of this. If you've already been lifting for a year or two, the likelihood of building mass in a deficit decreases.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jotough wrote: »
    I totally get that you can't put on muscle unless you eat a surplus but what happens to the muscles you already have if you start lifting while still in deficit? They must surely still improve/get stronger even if they don't get bigger?
    I want to start lifting but still have 6-10lbs to shift. Should I just wait?

when you lose weight you are inherently going to lose both muscle and fat...lifting along with a reasonable deficit and good nutrition and a good bit of protein will mitigate this to a large extent.

you can get stronger in a deficit..but stronger doesn't mean you're actually building muscle...your muscles can recruit existing fibers to become stronger without developing new fibers.

a lot of people mistake cutting fat to reveal more definition as muscle growth...when really, it's just defining what's already there...and people also mistake "pump" for muscle growth...but it's just water stored in your muscles for repair.
  • darkchocthunda
    darkchocthunda Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The answer, like most things, is that it depends. On what? Your body's fitness level and your diet.

Let's start off with diet and the role of each macronutrient in muscle:
    Protein - New muscle is made with amino acids from dietary protein. Nothing else, not carbs or fats, only protein.
    Carbs- Muscle is powered by glycogen made from carbs.
    Fats- Used by the body to make important hormones for muscle synthesis like testosterone.

Taking all that into account, It's not a calorie surplus that builds muscle, but really a PROTEIN surplus.
    It is possible to gain muscle mass at a moderate caloric deficit, but it requires a little tracking of you macronutrient intake. A normal maintenance diet needs about 15-20% protein minimum. If you want to gain mass at a deficit, just increase your ratio of protein relative to the other macronutrients. I would recommend at least 25% protein.

As for your fitness level, because you have relatively little muscle right now, you experience what is known as noob gains. That is, because you have no muscle, it doesn't take much protein for your body to make more muscle. As you increase in size, your protein requirements will increase and by extension you total caloric requirements will eventually increase as well.

Summary:
    1. As a noob, it is possible to increase muscle mass at moderate caloric deficit, just increase the ratio of dietary protein.
    2. As you gain more muscle, you will eventually need to eat more protein, carbs and fat for reasons stated above.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Taking all that into account, It's not a calorie surplus that builds muscle, but really a PROTEIN surplus.
    It is possible to gain muscle mass at a moderate caloric deficit, but it requires a little tracking of you macronutrient intake. A normal maintenance diet needs about 15-20% protein minimum. If you want to gain mass at a deficit, just increase your ratio of protein relative to the other macronutrients. I would recommend at least 25% protein.

How true is this? It's great if it is, but with all of the smart people around here and as many times as this question has come up, I've never seen that you can build muscle in a deficit just by getting enough protein.
  • JarrodStowe
    JarrodStowe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should Google IF. Or visit leangains.com. The program is designed to lose weight while building muscle by manipulating macro intake and calorie cycling for on/off days.

It's not a gimmick, it works.

You'll also feel way more satiated in the process. If you're serious about gaining muscle and losing weight simultaneously you should give it a try. It will require some up front investigation to grasp the idea but it will save you years of vain work.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

I was going to ask precisely that question... Thank you.
    I split my macros 40/30/30 in favour of protein and try to get about 1g per lb of body weight.