Oatmeal HELP!!

Options
mkh858
mkh858 Posts: 93 Member
Just need some ideas for my oatmeal. I do not like eating oatmeal. I know all the benefits so I need a way for it to taste better. So far I've tried; yogurt, peanut butter, bananas, all berries, agave, cinnamon, vanilla ice cream, raisins, milk, yogurt crumbs, molasses, a whole lot of nuts, sugar . Is there anything else I haven't thought of yet? I gag everytime I eat it even with things mixed in it. Tia

Replies

• tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    so don't eat it!
    in my opinion, there are no benefits great enough to warrant you gagging every time.
    you can get plenty of benefits from other foods.

ps- what oatmeal benefits are you referring to??
  • mkh858
    Options
    so don't eat it!
    in my opinion, there are no benefits great enough to warrant you gagging every time.
    you can get plenty of benefits from other foods.

ps- what oatmeal benefits are you referring to??

Mainly fiber and potassium. A lot of my breastfeeding moms say oatmeal does wonders for mill supply.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Try Weetabix with milk instead. Or make the oats into flapjacks. If you really don't like oatmeal then don't eat it. Life is too short!
  • TiffanyMSS
    TiffanyMSS Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    May not be helpful or what you're looking for BUT, a friend of mine is breastfeeding & she makes lactation cookies to help her milk supply & one of the main ingredients is oatmeal! You can find a lot of recipes on Pinterest or Google it.
  • mkh858
    Options
    TiffanyMSS wrote: »
    May not be helpful or what you're looking for BUT, a friend of mine is breastfeeding & she makes lactation cookies to help her milk supply & one of the main ingredients is oatmeal! You can find a lot of recipes on Pinterest or Google it.

Yes, I make those all the time..just want something new! Thanks though
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There are other sources of potassium (bananas, avocados, potatoes, kiwi, etc.) and soluble fiber (barley, okra, eggplant, beans, lentils, apples with skins, etc.).

If you're dead set on eating oats, why not try them in some other form than oatmeal (I assume when you say oatmeal you mean cooked as porridge, and it sounds like you just don't like the consistency): baked goods made with oat flour (oat flour is just oats ground fine, instead of rolled or steel-cut as you use them for oatmeal); Cheerios; oatmeal cookies; muesli (cold, uncooked oats mixed with nuts and dried fruit, usually moistened with milk or yogurt); homemade protein bars (protein powder, oats, usually peanut butter but sometime molasses or a combination to hold the mix together, other add-ins like nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate chips if you like -- google recipes).

ETA: Just remembered a chicken soup I used to make, that had diced dried apricots and oats in it. The oats gave the soup a creamy texture without adding the calories from actual cream.
  • cjscott2
    cjscott2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is one food that I could not get on board with. At all. I haven't eaten a bowl of oatmeal in 30 years (and I hardly ever had it as a kid). Anytime I did try it, I would end up gagging and tossing it. Totally disgusting! But...I've always wanted to like it! Then two weeks ago while I was shopping, I came across an oatmeal (made by Nature's Path) that is mixed with chia, hemp, buckwheat and coconut. Figured I would give it a try and while that first bowl didn't go down that easily, I stuck with it because I thought it was tasty enough. For me, I think the chia seeds and coconut change the texture in a good way. It's now my go-to breakfast and I love it because it's low-cal, low sugar (I add a bit of brown sugar lol), and gluten-free (if you care about that sort of thing).
  • mkh858
    Options
    There are other sources of potassium (bananas, avocados, potatoes, kiwi, etc.) and soluble fiber (barley, okra, eggplant, beans, lentils, apples with skins, etc.).

If you're dead set on eating oats, why not try them in some other form than oatmeal (I assume when you say oatmeal you mean cooked as porridge, and it sounds like you just don't like the consistency): baked goods made with oat flour (oat flour is just oats ground fine, instead of rolled or steel-cut as you use them for oatmeal); Cheerios; oatmeal cookies; muesli (cold, uncooked oats mixed with nuts and dried fruit, usually moistened with milk or yogurt); homemade protein bars (protein powder, oats, usually peanut butter but sometime molasses or a combination to hold the mix together, other add-ins like nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate chips if you like -- google recipes).

ETA: Just remembered a chicken soup I used to make, that had diced dried apricots and oats in it. The oats gave the soup a creamy texture without adding the calories from actual cream.

Oh good thanks. My husband makes oatmeal for our whole family for breakfast and I just dnot like it. I've Googled a lot of recipes but was hoping someone had a new way of eating them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you want potassium and fiber eat beans, spinach, leafy greens, potatoes, and avocados.
    The only kind of oatmeal is steel cut oatmeal that I make in the crock pot over night.
  • mkh858
    Options
    cjscott2 wrote: »
    Oatmeal is one food that I could not get on board with. At all. I haven't eaten a bowl of oatmeal in 30 years (and I hardly ever had it as a kid). Anytime I did try it, I would end up gagging and tossing it. Totally disgusting! But...I've always wanted to like it! Then two weeks ago while I was shopping, I came across an oatmeal (made by Nature's Path) that is mixed with chia, hemp, buckwheat and coconut. Figured I would give it a try and while that first bowl didn't go down that easily, I stuck with it because I thought it was tasty enough. For me, I think the chia seeds and coconut change the texture in a good way. It's now my go-to breakfast and I love it because it's low-cal, low sugar (I add a bit of brown sugar lol), and gluten-free (if you care about that sort of thing).

Oh I will try looking for that..never thought it was the texture.
  • mkh858
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If you want potassium and fiber eat beans, spinach, leafy greens, potatoes, and avocados.
    The only kind of oatmeal is steel cut oatmeal that I make in the crock pot over night.

What kind of potatoes?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    mkh858 wrote: »

Oh good thanks. My husband makes oatmeal for our whole family for breakfast and I just dnot like it. I've Googled a lot of recipes but was hoping someone had a new way of eating them.

If you've tried them with all the different toppings you mention in the OP, I'm pretty sure it's the texture that's a problem for you, not the taste. About the only thing you could try to do to cooked oatmeal (porridge) to change the texture in the time frame of the same meal might be to try forming them into pancakes (maybe add an egg) and recooking them on a griddle or in a skillet. You'd have to start with very thick oatmeal. You might want to add flour (oat flour if you want to maximize your oat consumption). But it seems like a lot to go through for what would probably not turn out nearly as well as just starting with dry oats and oat flour and milk and an egg to make pancakes in more or less the normal fashion.

If you really think it's the flavor of oatmeal (porridge) and not the texture that's causing you to gag, you might try treating it as a savory grain and stirring in shaved or shredded parmesan (while it's very hot, so it will melt in like risotto), and/or topping it with a poached egg.

That's all I've got, I think.
  • mkh858
    Options

If you've tried them with all the different toppings you mention in the OP, I'm pretty sure it's the texture that's a problem for you, not the taste. About the only thing you could try to do to cooked oatmeal (porridge) to change the texture in the time frame of the same meal might be to try forming them into pancakes (maybe add an egg) and recooking them on a griddle or in a skillet. You'd have to start with very thick oatmeal. You might want to add flour (oat flour if you want to maximize your oat consumption). But it seems like a lot to go through for what would probably not turn out nearly as well as just starting with dry oats and oat flour and milk and an egg to make pancakes in more or less the normal fashion.

If you really think it's the flavor of oatmeal (porridge) and not the texture that's causing you to gag, you might try treating it as a savory grain and stirring in shaved or shredded parmesan (while it's very hot, so it will melt in like risotto), and/or topping it with a poached egg.

That's all I've got, I think.

Thanks!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Maybe try something liked baked oatmeal?

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-baked-oatmeal-cups-222825
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

What kind of potatoes?

White potatoes have potassium.
  • nippsynoo
    nippsynoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I live in australia, so dont always want a hot breakfast, so i started making overnight oats.
    half a cup of oats, tablespoon chia seeds, cup of almond milk, tablespoon maple syrup, chopped pecans, diced apple. chuck it all in a jar and leave it in the fridge overnight. No cooking required, its cold and yummy. you can mix up the sweeteners, fruit, seeds, nuts whatever you fancy :) I love it!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you really wanna eat it but can't stand the taste try putting it in a smoothie. For example banana, berries, milk and some oats. You won't taste oats at all.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you do not like oatmeal, stop eating it. It has fiber, as a ton of other foods. You can easily get the same benefits from foods you like better. As for oatmeal helping when breastfeeding, there is no evidence it does: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/oatmeal/
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Why eat oatmeal if you don't like oatmeal? Seems weird to me.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    As for me...

I have an aversion to what would seem to be "classic" oatmeal -- I find it to be gloopy, gloppy, and gross (and gagnonimously (!) "gruel"-like)... regular oatmeal reminds me of a sludge-like paper pulp that got left out in the rain (yum! ;) )...

I am also not a fan of steel-cut oats (for a few reasons).

However, there are other "forms" of oatmeal, and I flippin' LOVE whole grain oats that have been milled extra thick (which translates to more *taste*), and double toasted (which results in the oats having a rougher texture), so that they do NOT end up turning mushy, when cooked, and instead, retain the kind of chewy texture, and flavorful, nutty taste, that has rendered such glorious oatmealness the only "form" of oatmeal that I'll eat... I love it (and I love it so much that I eat a bowl of it nearly every day (it's only when I travel that I don't eat it every day), and I've come to rely on it for pre-fueling certain workouts, as well).

But if it turns out that you don't like oatmeal in any form, but still want to find a way to palatably ingest it, then I would try what various others have suggested -- i.e. incorporating the oats into something that isn't "oatmeal" (I happen to be repurposing some gag-worthy fiber cereal into muffins, myself, as it turns out).