Starting the Gym again!

Hi everyone! I need some advice. I have been working out at home for a few months now and want to step it up and use the machines there. I have always had a fear of the gym (I don't know why) and it makes me nervous walking into the work-out area. I don't know how to use 90% of the machines and get nervous even thinking about asking someone for help. I used the pool when I had my membership back in April and used the elliptical once before some complications where I had to freeze my membership. I unfroze my account just yesterday and am excited to go again so I would love any advice for a gym noob lol. Is there anything you wish you knew when you started? If you're self conscious like me, is there anything that helps you when you work-out? What keeps you focused? Thank you so much in advance!

Replies

• RNZLR44
    RNZLR44 Posts: 574 Member
    Don't be afraid to ask for a familiarization tour of all the equipment. A good gym should be more than wiling to help you. Also, don't use anything you aren't comfortable with because that could lead to injuries. Finally, just be yourself and focus on your goals... Everyone there has different ones
  • heartkermit
    heartkermit Posts: 36 Member
    I too was worried about not knowing how to use the machines. But the staff and other members at the gym were all very helpful and friendly. Not to mention that most machines have diagrams on how to use them and they are also pretty helpful
  • UltimateMedu
    UltimateMedu Posts: 46 Member
    RNZLR44 wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to ask for a familiarization tour of all the equipment. A good gym should be more than wiling to help you. Also, don't use anything you aren't comfortable with because that could lead to injuries. Finally, just be yourself and focus on your goals... Everyone there has different ones

That is true. They gave me a tour of the gym areas last time, but not the equipment. I will make sure they give me a tour of them specifically this time. I am scared of the equipment so I definitely won't be touching anything I don't know how to use yet, but I will definitely ask! Thank you :smiley:
  • UltimateMedu
    I too was worried about not knowing how to use the machines. But the staff and other members at the gym were all very helpful and friendly. Not to mention that most machines have diagrams on how to use them and they are also pretty helpful

Thank you! I will be sure to look at the diagrams if there are any. I'm very clumsy and short so I want to be extra careful this time haha. The people at my gym seem friendly too, so I will ask them if I go tomorrow. :smile:
  • Knight1947
    Knight1947 Posts: 3 Member
    At Planet Fitness, they have mini-classes scheduled throughout the day so that you can learn the machines, and you start out with a sheet where you write down the settings for each machine, and the weights and/or positions of parts of the machines.
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    I was right there with you. I use to go on youtube to learn how to position my body doing free weights. That's probably where you should start. You can get a pretty good work out even with a these. Like someone stated above they have diagrams on most machines telling you how to use them taking into account that some will show you variations of exercises meant to target different muscles. I use to just take my little headphones and go look at the diagrams pretending like I was just fixing my headphones or stretch near the machine and dtake a good look lol. The more you try it the less intimidating it feels and pretty soon you'll start to feel like it's YOUR area too! Best of luck =)
  • UltimateMedu
    Knight1947 wrote: »
    At Planet Fitness, they have mini-classes scheduled throughout the day so that you can learn the machines, and you start out with a sheet where you write down the settings for each machine, and the weights and/or positions of parts of the machines.

Wow, that would have been so much help at my gym. There is a Planet Fitness down the street but I have my membership at LA Fitness. That's really good that Planet Fitness does that!
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    Also try to familiarize yourself with how to adjust the machine this should also be on the machine and is really important to the effectiveness of the exercise. The machines' seats and benches adjust to the height of the user, and you can adjust moving parts to accommodate your leg or arm length. Make sure your arms and/or legs are comfortable on the pads.
  • urenanadrea
    urenanadrea Posts: 12 Member
    Hi everyone! I need some advice. I have been working out at home for a few months now and want to step it up and use the machines there. I have always had a fear of the gym (I don't know why) and it makes me nervous walking into the work-out area. I don't know how to use 90% of the machines and get nervous even thinking about asking someone for help. I used the pool when I had my membership back in April and used the elliptical once before some complications where I had to freeze my membership. I unfroze my account just yesterday and am excited to go again so I would love any advice for a gym noob lol. Is there anything you wish you knew when you started? If you're self conscious like me, is there anything that helps you when you work-out? What keeps you focused? Thank you so much in advance!

Hi! I use pinterest a lot for ideas on what to do (time wise etc) on the elliptical. I have also created playlists to keep me going. Let's face it--machines can gey boring! If you have spotify browse their workout playlists too :) I am self conscious too (and short), especially on the lifting area because of the guys (and because I am terrible with weights!) but I usually avoid peak hours so that helps. I also observe, discreetly, other people's workouts. Oh! Something I love are spinning and cx core classes! Those are sooo much fun! Ok. Hope that helps! ☺️
  • UltimateMedu
    Nell8i8 wrote: »
    I was right there with you. I use to go on youtube to learn how to position my body doing free weights. That's probably where you should start. You can get a pretty good work out even with a these. Like someone stated above they have diagrams on most machines telling you how to use them taking into account that some will show you variations of exercises meant to target different muscles. I use to just take my little headphones and go look at the diagrams pretending like I was just fixing my headphones or stretch near the machine and dtake a good look lol. The more you try it the less intimidating it feels and pretty soon you'll start to feel like it's YOUR area too! Best of luck =)

That sounds like something I would do considering I was just going to youtube how to's haha. And yep for me, it's always the first step that I find the hardest. I'm hoping it becomes second nature to me and I can feel comfortable working out there. And yes that's very important! When I ask someone there, I will make sure to mention the adjusting of the equipment. Thank you so much! Definitely helped :smiley:
  • UltimateMedu
    Hi! I use pinterest a lot for ideas on what to do (time wise etc) on the elliptical. I have also created playlists to keep me going. Let's face it--machines can gey boring! If you have spotify browse their workout playlists too :) I am self conscious too (and short), especially on the lifting area because of the guys (and because I am terrible with weights!) but I usually avoid peak hours so that helps. I also observe, discreetly, other people's workouts. Oh! Something I love are spinning and cx core classes! Those are sooo much fun! Ok. Hope that helps! ☺️

Hello! Short person here haha. I avoided peak hours last time too. When I went swimming I always went early in the morning lol. A workout playlist would definitely help. There are classes at my gym too and I'm planning on starting with Yoga and eventually joining some others there! I feel better knowing I'm in a group rather than being by myself with 5 other people in a big room (until I'm comfortable of course). Thanks so much! I'll look up some stuff and remember this when I go tomorrow!
  • ivvassileva
    ivvassileva Posts: 24 Member
    I'm right there myself, going bak to the gym on Monday.
    I used to go a few times a week, but only did cardio exercises as I was very insecure about using the other machines. Finaly I gave up and stoped going.
    This time I'm signing up with a personal trainer for at leat two months. I believe it will be nice if someone showed me what to do, how to work on different muscle groups, how hard can I go without injuring myself, etc.
    Add me if you'd like, some gym support will be nice :)