Your experience with fat/size distribution

Options
Spot reduction! And a magical unicorn while I'm at it. One that farts rainbows of course.
So since that's not possible, I'm wondering about people's experience when weight loss seemed to focus on (a) certain area(s) of the body, and if that evened out as the weight loss continued. I'm in two minds about whether I want to try to lose more.
Me: 165cm/5'5, 57kg/125lbs. I've lost 15kgs since starting using mfp. My problem is not my weight, but the distribution.
My waist, I've come to terms with, two babies ruined it. 69cm/27inches. I have no figure anymore as my hips are 79cm/31inches. And my thighs are 54cm/21inches. This is annoying. I run a lot, and finding shorts that fit is a nightmare. They either fall off my hips or bunch up my thighs. And, hello vanity, I don't like how my thighs look to some extent. The muscly bits are good. The wobbly not so much. And there can be a bit of rubbing when I run as narrow hip plus big thighs equals chub rub! Part of me thinks losing another couple kg could help, and hey I may run faster too, the other part of me is over weight loss and needing new clothes and what if my hips just keep shrinking?
Anyone had similar experience?

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear shape, so arms and boob were first to go, thighs and hips hold on until the bitter end.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're overly critical of yourself, even when you're slim. My thighs are 21" too, and I think they're great. I'm shorter than you.
  • baileyanderson36
    baileyanderson36 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, you are way too hard on yourself. Those numbers are the delightful numbers I'm headed towards from my youth! Don't be so hard on yourself!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'd probably be happy with my thighs if not for my stupid hips....
    My legs are strong and there's muscle definition there I'm pretty proud of (and I don't even lift), but being, like, 2 full sizes smaller in my hips than my waist and thighs is driving me nuts. And the rubbing when I run.
    I'd just like a bit of proportion. And clothes that fit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    they make stuff to prevent the chub rub. forget what its called as there is more than one product. you can do a search on amazon.I havent had a 27in waist since I was 14 and a size 9/10. my waist is 29 1/5 down from a 40. my hips are like 40 1/2 down from a 47. and my thighs are 21 1/2 inches Im 5'6 1/2. some of us just have parts of us that will be bigger and we cant change them much. sure you could lose more weight. you could always try weight training and see if that makes a difference in how your thighs and other areas look. you cant spot reduce but, you can improve how things look. I went from a "shelf butt"(so big that it was flat on top) to a flat butt to one that is starting to look like a normal strong healthy butt lol so to speak.Ive always had big thighs so I have come to accept that they will always be big. now its possible that things could even out to a point. you may lose more on your thighs but then you may not.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ah body types and fat distribution... I'm still classed as "obese", am an AU12 (US8) on top, AU14/16 (US10/12) on bottom, have collarbones you could cut bread with, and cannot for the life of me find shorts that will fit my enormous thighs. Oh and my calves? Not an ounce of fat on them. But think I could ever buy knee high boots? Nope!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 kids and I'm still not where I went to be, and my problem is my thighs and my stomach. I have quite a good hip/waist ratio as my hips are 10" bigger, and I seem to lose off my hips at more or less the same rate I lose off my waist. My thighs are about 22" and they are quite muscular, but they're still flabby (or maybe it's loose skin?). I do still have weight to lose, but even when I was at my thinnest, I still had big thighs. I suppose we just have to keep going, and keep doing weight training in the hope that those problems areas will eventually even out.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Personally I havent experienced goal weight for many years. But I do recall reading a post recently where people talked about their body shapes still changing while maintaining. Someone commented that their calves were large and someone else said that it took time for theirs to slim down the reason given was because the calf muscle was big due to carrying so much weight for so long. Not sure how much I believe that but given that people are told to wait 2 years before going through with excessive skin removal to see how much it recovers naturally maybe body shape is the same.

So if your over the whole weightloss thing why not maintain for a while and see how things go. Reevaluate in a few months.

I actually found my body shape 10kgs ago was more proportional. Now I have my waist starting to come back I have the issue of if it fits around my bum it will gap at my waist. As a teenager I often had clothes altered to accommodate my tiny waist. I thought those days were over after kids but it appears my hourglass shape might come back afterall.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Ah body types and fat distribution... I'm still classed as "obese", am an AU12 (US8) on top, AU14/16 (US10/12) on bottom, have collarbones you could cut bread with, and cannot for the life of me find shorts that will fit my enormous thighs. Oh and my calves? Not an ounce of fat on them. But think I could ever buy knee high boots? Nope!

Oh, clothes sizes drives me nuts! I'm about an AU 10 bust, waist, and thighs, but a damned 4 (!) hips. I think I am the living embodiment of that stick that dogs are meant to like while real men like curves or something?
    I suppose we just have to keep going, and keep doing weight training in the hope that those problems areas will eventually even out.

Yeah, no easy fix, *sigh*
    I actually found my body shape 10kgs ago was more proportional. Now I have my waist starting to come back I have the issue of if it fits around my bum it will gap at my waist. As a teenager I often had clothes altered to accommodate my tiny waist. I thought those days were over after kids but it appears my hourglass shape might come back afterall.

I think I was more proportional 10kg ago too, back when I had hips! I'm so jealous of you getting an hourglass back, mine is gone to the sands of time, pregnancies, breastfeeding, and weight loss. I always thought I had childbearing hips, but this may explain why I had such trouble getting the (admittedly large and big headed) babies out...
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I'd probably be happy with my thighs if not for my stupid hips....
    My legs are strong and there's muscle definition there I'm pretty proud of (and I don't even lift), but being, like, 2 full sizes smaller in my hips than my waist and thighs is driving me nuts. And the rubbing when I run.
    I'd just like a bit of proportion. And clothes that fit.

We have opposite problems! My hips are two sizes bigger than the rest of l me! 32 chest, 25 waist. .. 39 hips!!!! Shows how different we all are!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    God, this is so annoying to me. I have almost no fat distribution between my breasts and my collarbone, or something, so you can see every bone in my chest from halfway across the gym while my hips are still storing fat for the winter.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My 3 babies have ruined my waist as well. I doubt it will ever get smaller than it is. I'm 124 lbs with a 27 inch waist and 36 inch hips. I have a lot of excess skin because I dropped 110 lbs in 2015 so I'm just kind of waiting on it to see if the skin goes back a little bit.

My arms are tiny, they are the smallest part of me. My arms and shoulders look like they belong to someone 20 pounds lighter than the rest of me. All of my "weight" is around my stomach, hips and butt but I honestly think most of it is just deflated skin now :/

When it comes down to it though I'm much happier with my shape now than I ever have been in my entire life.
  • idipyoudipwedip
    idipyoudipwedip Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've always had an abnormally large waist, I think. I've always been at a healthy BMI but have been asked if I'm pregnant by people. I hate this part of my body more than any other. Right now my breasts are 36.5, waist is 33, and hips are 38. I'm 5'4", 20 years old, never had kids. At one point by waist was around 36 inches and I think may have even been bigger at one point, when I was at the high end of the Healthy BMI range. Technically by waist to height and waist to hip ratios, I was obese. That's how unreliable the BMI scale is.

Even if I get down to my end goal weight (low 120s), I feel like I will still hate my stomach. That's just the way fat is stored in my body, I guess. I just want to get to the point where it doesn't pop out, looking like I'm pregnant by the end of the day. I remember having to get pants for work and they were high rise, so they fit at the waist. I usually wear a size 6 in low rise pants, but I couldn't fit in the size 12 for work pants. It was really embarrassing and I felt awful.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have you ever considered a progressive weight training program? Instead of trying to lose more, look into body recomposition.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I carried my weight pretty evenly and lost it pretty evenly...though the last 10 Lbs was kind of awkward looking as I looked lean everywhere but had a protruding gut...it pretty much went away with those last 10 Lbs.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options