Eating time

Options
Is there a certain time that I should not eat after, when logging in my calories?

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, just how much you eat. You can eat all of your calories at dinner and go immediately to bed. You may have heartburn and not sleep well, but it would have no effect on your weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That is a good question. Logging you calories makes a cutoff time for eating redundant. Calories don't know the time. If you weren't counting calories, not eating after at decided time could be useful. But if you stick to your calories, timing is not important.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A 24 hour period works.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    Very misleading advice-seeing as it has been proven that smaller more frequent meals is healthier
    duddysdad wrote: »
    It doesn't matter when you eat, just how much you eat.

please show all of us who know nothing the peer reviewed journals that prove that ....
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Is there a certain time that I should not eat after, when logging in my calories?
    Some people can eat one on two meals a day. Some like three meals a day plus snacks right up to bed time. Find your own rhythm. <3

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You can eat your calories at any time of the day or night. For logging purposes, it's up to you if you log food eaten after midnight but before sleep in the current day or the following day. The only rule I would follow there is, be consistent in your approach.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed is a horrible idea. Although theoretically you can eat whenever, there is a lot of poor advice here on MFP and I'm honestly thinking about just going back to BB.com where the advice is more sound. If you eat before bed, you are less likely to sleep well. Not sleeping well releases stress hormones which can slow your weight loss progress.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    Options
    I usually try to finish eating before I fall asleep at night. :grin:
  • Reemule
    Reemule Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get hung up on this, personally I never eat breakfast and never have, I put weight on easily and have also lost it. the reality is less in will mean you lose weight. Some people eat little and often and others don't eat breakfast or lunch but as long as you don't over eat you will be fine.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed is a horrible idea. Although theoretically you can eat whenever, there is a lot of poor advice here on MFP and I'm honestly thinking about just going back to BB.com where the advice is more sound. If you eat before bed, you are less likely to sleep well. Not sleeping well releases stress hormones which can slow your weight loss progress.

I ate dinner at 9:45 last night, went to bed around 11, and I slept fine. The only reason to not eat that close to bedtime is if you have GERD issues that can arise.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I'm somewhat surprised being that BB.com is where I first got it that eating right before bed was ok, we must have been on different boards. It's also a very individual thing - if it doesn't bother someone's stomach or sleep patterns to eat before bed then they can. If it does bother stomach & sleep patterns then they shouldn't.

• MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i used to be an intermittent faster and only ate for 6 consecutive hours per day. during that timeframe, i would eat all 1200 of my calories (or 1400 depending on if i was lifting weights) since then, i have gained a significant amount of weight, and my blood sugar & A1C are through the roof, along with my cholesterol. my dr has told me that i need to eat every hour, just a small amount, to keep my blood sugar regulated. once i lose a bulk of my weight and get my sugars leveled, i will be going back to IF. honestly it felt better to me, and i was able to be a heavier lifter in the gym when i did that.