Vegetarians

Options
I'm a vegetarian... I eat fish once in a while.

I'm curious how many other vegetarians there are on here and what you do for protein? I usually eat a yogurt or cottage cheese during breakfast.. sometimes an egg or 2. For lunch and dinner I alternate beans, nuts, and fish occasionally. I'm worried though that I'm not getting enough protein for the results I want to achieve.

I did make a vegan 4-bean chili which was extremely high in protein that was delicious... but one can only consume so many beans. I don't really like protein shakes but I'm considering replacing a meal.

Thoughts?

Replies

• CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I get plenty of protein. I get most of my protein from beans, nuts, and soy protein powder.
  • ChrisDon71
    ChrisDon71 Posts: 57
    Options
    I tend to use the Soy or Micro protein (ex: Morning Star and Qurn). There good, although they are processed food products. Another good protein is in Lagumes (ex: Beans), but you must remember to complete the protein with a dary product sometime throughout the day.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hi there! This is a link to a great site that has tons of info. I found it to be very helpful. There are lots of ways to get protein, you might be surprised!

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegan-protein-percentages/

I hope this helps!
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Try Quinoa

It has pretty much complete proteins and is tasty and versitile.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Google Brendan Braziers' "Thrive" diet...he's a vegan tri-athelete who has a really good book on vegan/veg proteins, amounts you need, etc.
  • mlgreenwood8
    Options
    Quorn Naked Chicken Cutlets are awesome!! Very easy to cook (microwave or on the stove with a little balsamic dressing) and only 80 calories! I also like to add cherry sized fresh mozz to salads, these are only about 70 calories.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I am veggie and have been for 4 years now. Feel free to look at my diary ... I get plenty of protein. I use pea protein because soy and whey hurt my stomach.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I don't conciously attempt to get lots of protein because I've been told by vegan doctors and speakers that most people get about twice the protein they need and that its just a myth that people need so much protein. So sometimes I end my day at only half the protein recommended on here, and sometimes I may reach it or go just slightly over.
    That said, I'm sure people who eat a vegetarian/vegan diet do naturally have less protein in their diets.
    Things I eat that have protein: quinoa pasta, quinoa hot cereal, faux meats--I know these aren't supposed to be the best things for you because they are processed, but I grew up on a meat eating diet and I just like them. I'm not perfect. I like Amy's burgers, and SmartDogs. Also Boca chicken patties. I also like lentil soup and lentil samosas. Beans and rice is always a yummy staple. I eat almonds and almost every day I have an almond butter and agave sandwich.
    My boyfriend is vegan and he is super thin so he likes to try and gain muscle. He makes himself vegan milkshakes using rice protein powder and almond or rice milk. Oh and he puts peanut butter in there too, and lots of berries.
    Hope that helped some!!! :)
  • Escultor
    Escultor Posts: 64
    Options
    I had forgotten you're vegetarian Karin. I need to share a recipe for a yummy dessert with you.

Me, too. My wife is lactose intolerant so that pushed me into vegan cooking for the most part. I use honey and some goat cheese occasionally. My family likes the goat cheese but my body seems to have a rougher time with that than bovine products.

I was going to say: When studying Aztec anthropophagy, I learned that my combining corn (maize) and beans the human body gets all the protein it needs. As I understood it, that meant all the amino acids necessary to maintain health.
  • sambfox
    sambfox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a lacto-vegetarian and seem to go over on protein most days.
    I also eat whole beans, and cottage cheese. Yves and Morning Star Farms make yummy thing with lots of protein and low calories. Nutritional yeast has 60 calories and 9g of protein in two tbs and can be sprinkled on almost anything. Tofu is one of my favorite foods. If you don’t like the texture freeze it thaw it out then squeeze the water out and it gets chewy.
    Good Luck.
  • Finding_Tina
    Finding_Tina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do eat some dairy.. I eat tofu at least once a week.. beans & rice.. morning star and boca products.. I also like broiling eggplant (dipped in balsamic) and then with a little melted mozzarella broiled on top. In the winter lots of beans, stews and lentils in the crockpot (for soup), but it's too hot for that now. Greek yogurt for breakfast.. I always make my protein quota. Good luck :)
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. I'm vegan and get tons of protein