Question about FATS!

Options
catnguyenn
catnguyenn Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
This maybe a silly question but,.... I've been using light country crock to add to my foods to hit my fats. Is anyone else doing that? I guess I'm just freaking out about the whole margarine thing and if it's actually healthy. Anyone can shed some light?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I believe the issue with margarine is trans fats (hydrogenated fats). But now many of them don't use them, so you have to check the ingredient list. If it lists hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oil then it has trans fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why not just use real butter?
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Always use real butter. Tastes better and better for you. Unsalted is what I add to most things
  • BarbaraMore43
    BarbaraMore43 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I only use olive oil, butter, and coconut oil as fat's in my diet, besides the fat cooked with meat.
  • jgaffney86
    jgaffney86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Newer studies are coming out about how some full fat foods are better for you and keep you full longer. Off the top of my head these fats are Peanut Butter, Milk, Cheese (string cheese for snack?), oil, BACON! (can you believe that?), Yogurt, peanuts, are some exmaples. For alot of foods, fat is replaced with sugar anyway.

Here is the source. https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-20-best-full-fat-foods-1264023921426486.html

• ellieco
    ellieco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for other sources of fat if you can! You don't need to be adding fat to your diet to hit a target, it's more like a guideline for a limit. (unless you're doing keto, in which case you'd want to get the majority of calories from fat rather than carbs, but I don't think that's what you're following?).

Fats are are dense in calories (9 calories for 1 gram of fat compared to 4 calories for a gram of protein or carb), so if you're trying to lose weight it's usually helpful to limit fats and it's a great source of extra energy if you're trying to gain weight.

As with most food, the less processed the better. Fat from meat (like chicken thighs), cheese, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, peanut butter, nuts and seeds are all good natural sources of fat. Margarine is a processed fat and the general consensus is that trans fats are not very good for you.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    k3kclj0420e5.jpg

lmao
  • catnguyenn
    catnguyenn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you lovelies! <3