Oatmeal HELP!!

Options
2»

Replies

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you dont like oatmeal, you can get all these nutrients elsewhere! As far as the milk supply, I know some moms swear by it, but as a fellow breastfeeding mom I have never noticed a difference for me when I eat it. If you really want to get those oats for your supply though, try baking them into lactation cookies. Of course you have to watch your portions due to the sugar, but probably more palatable.
    I just personally found what I ate didnt make a differance for milk supply as much as frequent feedings did. If your baby is gaining weight and peeing enough, you dont have a supply problem and you dont have to force feed yourself foods you hate!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you dont like oatmeal, you can get all these nutrients elsewhere! As far as the milk supply, I know some moms swear by it, but as a fellow breastfeeding mom I have never noticed a difference for me when I eat it. If you really want to get those oats for your supply though, try baking them into lactation cookies. Of course you have to watch your portions due to the sugar, but probably more palatable.
    I just personally found what I ate didnt make a differance for milk supply as much as frequent feedings did. If your baby is gaining weight and peeing enough, you dont have a supply problem and you dont have to force feed yourself foods you hate!

^This.
    After nursing for a total of 5 years (not one kid), the only thing (other than feeding more often) I have found to actually affect milk supply was beer. Non alcoholic beer is as good (or actually even better) than regular beer.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My husband likes steel cut oats with butter. I don't eat a lot of oatmeal, but it's actually pretty good that way.
  • rmduck81
    rmduck81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and I love trying out new recipes. Pinterest is where I find all mine and I really enjoy the chocolate oatmeal. Who doesn't like healthy form of chocolate?? :smile:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    What do you make it with? I use vanilla almond milk, dried cranberries, and cinnamon.
  • abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Adding light brown sugar is definitely the way to go!
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

^This.
    After nursing for a total of 5 years (not one kid), the only thing (other than feeding more often) I have found to actually affect milk supply was beer. Non alcoholic beer is as good (or actually even better) than regular beer.

^ All of this :)
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Eat Cheerios.
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here we go: Solution for you!!!! I gave birth to my son in the Dominican Republic and this is what they make for mothers to breasfeed: In your blender, oatmeal, vanilla (extract or sugar), lime juice (or lemon) water and blend! Poor the mix through a strainer (sieve) et voilá, perfect juice, fills you up and the texture is totally different which might be the clue! And if not, than relax and dont punish yourself, enjoy motherhood instead of fuzzing over not eating something. Its not a matter of life and death!

• dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal in my small rice cooker on weekends. I add dried cranberries, real butter and cinnamon plus a touch of honey. On a cold morning it tastes great. I also want to try adding some PB2 dried peanut butter to jazz it up.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I really like this recipe for scones. I sub out other things for the currants, but leave the rest the same. It's a dry, crumbly thing that's amazingly good with morning coffee, and insta dry mouth without a drink or sliced butter on top.

If everyone's suggestions for other ways to make oatmeal don't work, then seriously, find other foods. You won't miss anything.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal rasin cookies.

Ingredients:

1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
    1 cup (200g) packed light or dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 Tablespoon molasses
    1 and 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 cups (240g) old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup (140g) raisins
    1/2 cup (64g) chopped toasted walnuts

Directions:

Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and molasses and mix on high until combined. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Beat in the oats, raisins, and walnuts (if using) on low speed. Dough will be thick, yet very sticky. Chill the dough for 30-60 minutes in the refrigerator (do the full hour if you're afraid of the cookies spreading too much). If chilling for longer (up to 2 days), allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking.

Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. (Always recommended for cookies.) Set aside.

Roll balls of dough (about 1.5 tablespoons of dough per cookie) and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes until very lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft and undone. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will continue to "set" on the baking sheet during this time.
  • tmorton03
    tmorton03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just made Oatmeal pancakes for dinner last night! There are a ton of recipes for them. When I make them, I add sugar-free maple syrup to the batter for some extra flavor.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and this scone recipe sounds delicious! I have found many recipes for oatmeal, both rolled oats and steel cut oats, on the internet. This has become a very east, make ahead staple for breakfast for me.

Wat is the calorie count for the oatmeal cookies? This recipe sounds as good ad the one on the Quaker oatmeal box which has become a standard in my family.
  • baldben
    baldben Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    If you really wanna eat it but can't stand the taste try putting it in a smoothie. For example banana, berries, milk and some oats. You won't taste oats at all.

This. It thickens up the smoothie and you won't even know they're in there. Use a half cup of oats or so.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I blend a banana with some milk and vanilla essence, and then stir in some oats and throw in a handful of pecans and some blueberries before heating it up. The banana milkshake combo makes it so creamy and the fruit and nuts add texture and flavour and oh god I'm making myself hungry just talking about it.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal great stuff properly prepared. I love steel cut oats with whole milk and heavy cream add in berries and bannas. Instant oats for me are like eating gritty tasteless mush.
  • mkh858
    mkh858 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone..wow a lot of different ways to do this. As far as the milk supply I'm always trying to find new things since I'm nursing twins it's very hard for me to feed on demand. I've made those cookies and love them, but they are getting old.