Help with my Macros?

Options
Can someone help me with my Macros? ?? Please and thank you! I don't know if I calulated wrong I feel like what I calculated is too much for me.. or maybe am not eating enough...one thing forsure is I eat lean protein,good carbs and fat, fruits and lots of green veggies

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    20/20/60 is the way to go.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    http://comfortpit.com/the-truth-about-calories/

40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat is a solid start
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    iifym.com

Great website for finding your macros.
  • Yvonnie16
    Yvonnie16 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    MFP allows you to make your own macronutrient goals.

This is set as my daily macro goal. It is terrific that we can set these goals and see this ratio everyday in MFP for our individual diary.

• tillerstouch
    Options
    iifym.com is a great website for finding macros.

I would use it to find your actual macros not just base it off of other people's macros. You'll find too many different opinions for instance I think 30% protien is probably too high. I'd recommend 50c 25p 25f as a starting point. So instead go calculate it yourself based off your protien and fat needs and the rest gets filled with carbs.
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    iifym.com is a great website for finding macros.

I would use it to find your actual macros not just base it off of other people's macros. You'll find too many different opinions for instance I think 30% protien is probably too high. I'd recommend 50c 25p 25f as a starting point. So instead go calculate it yourself based off your protien and fat needs and the rest gets filled with carbs.
    30% protein isn't high for anyone. On a 1500 calorie diet it's not even 500 calories from protein. Don't get caught up in a diet that's too high in carbs, even if you lose weight you'll still look soft. You should always up your protein when on a diet. First, it spares muscle during weight loss and second, it keeps you fuller longer. I'm at 40% protein but because I'm at 1800 calories it's way to low for me.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    @muscleandbeard your body only needs so much protien but before we get into an argument maybe I should clarify I'm not taking about someone with a calorie deficit. I was actually talking about someone who is in a surplus or at least maintaince.

I agree if you're in a deficit your protien percent will probably need to be higher.

So I guess OPs calorie intake/goals will effect the percent.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Agreed. Start with something fairly well balanced among the 3 and see how you do for a couple of months... then tweak them if necessary.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I follow @vismal on Youtube

Here is the video he posted sometime back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cc18wLJW3k

Also a neat post written by him on MFP about his journey and questions answered
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1276219/i-went-from-morbidly-obese-to-6-pack-abs-ask-me-anything/p1

Hope it helps. Good Luck.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Also this is a great start
    +2
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I calculate mine as follows:

protein - .8 gram per pound of bodyweight (.64-.82 is sufficient)

fat - .4 gram per pound of bodyweight

carbs - don't care

I use the protein and fat as my minimums and my other calories can be spent on anything else (carbs, more fat, more protein.) I set the MFP numbers to whatever percentage is closest to the grams I want and just keep in mind my actual gram goals as I eyeball the totals throughout the day.
  • cristyperez4545
    cristyperez4545 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know I cant spot reduct but am currently working towards growing the booty lol and I am seeing results but I can't get ride of my belly pooch :/ I don't do cardio I weight train.. so maybe I should start doing cardio too...
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    I know I cant spot reduct but am currently working towards growing the booty lol and I am seeing results but I can't get ride of my belly pooch :/ I don't do cardio I weight train.. so maybe I should start doing cardio too...
    I don't do cardio and I'm pretty happy with how I look. Cardio is really better for your health in my opinion.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I calculate mine as follows:

protein - .8 gram per pound of bodyweight (.64-.82 is sufficient)

fat - .4 gram per pound of bodyweight

carbs - don't care

I use the protein and fat as my minimums and my other calories can be spent on anything else (carbs, more fat, more protein.) I set the MFP numbers to whatever percentage is closest to the grams I want and just keep in mind my actual gram goals as I eyeball the totals throughout the day.

This is the way to do it (though you will find many conflicting points of view of how many grams of fat and protein you need).

Calculate fat first - Essential fats are just that - essential. Your body will shut down without them.
    Calculate protein second - you should have plenty of calories left to get more than you need here, aim high, not enough is bad, too much is neutral, and the more you eat the less hungry you feel (low Glycemic Index)
    Whatever you have left should be fruit and veggies, but a cookie won't kill you. Again, opting for lower GI foods here is your best bet. best of luck!