Gluten Free and Dieting

Options
I've recently found out that I have Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS). So many people said, "you'll loose so much weight." I have lost 6 lbs in 4 weeks. I guess that's not too bad. Can anyone recommend any gluten free foods besides the normal meat, veggies and fruit that they can recommend? I am trying to stay away from prepackaged gluten free foods. Thanks!!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Looks like brown rice and quinoa are good to eat regularly. (Shop around for quinoa - now that it's trendy, demand has outstripped supply and prices have doubled.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet

...Eating gluten-free

The gluten-free diet includes naturally gluten-free food, such as meat, fish, nuts, legumes, fruit, vegetables, potatoes, pseudocereals (in particular amaranth, buckwheat, chia seed, quinoa), only certain cereal grains (corn, rice, sorghum), minor cereals (including fonio, Job's tears, millet, teff, called "minor" cereals as they are "less common and are only grown in a few small regions of the world"),[52] some other plant products (arrowroot, mesquite flour[53]) and products made from these gluten-free foods, such as breads and gluten-free beer.

...Risks

Unless great care is taken, a gluten-free diet can lack the vitamins, minerals, and fiber which are found in wheat, barley, rye, kamut, and other gluten-containing whole grains[61] and may be too high in fat and calories.[53][62] Processed gluten-free foods are often higher in salt, sugar, glycemic index, transfats and other processed fats.[53] Although the lack of vitamins, minerals and fiber can be mitigated through the consumption of brown rice and quinoa,[63] many practitioners of the diet do not consume the recommended number of grain servings per day.[64][65] Many gluten-free products are not fortified or enriched by such nutrients as folate, iron, and fiber as traditional breads and cereals have been during the last century.[66]
  • FitKat123
    FitKat123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused because pretty much anything that's not meat, fruit or veggies is most likely pre-packaged. But I'll just mention some things I like. There are many good rice crackers on the market nowadays. The pastas are getting better. I prefer Tinkyada brown rice pasta. I don't like the corn and quinoa pastas. But, I know people how think just the opposite. The Asian rice noodles are good. Unadulterated nuts and seeds, watch out for flavored ones, they can have gluten. There are gluten free soy sauces and Tamari. Corn chips and corn tortillas are usually gluten free. Homemade polenta. Homemade soups. Yogurt, cheese and other dairy. Careful with the shredded cheeses, some contain gluten. Regular and sweet potatoes. Rice. Oatmeal. There are some good GF all purpose flours. Wine:) There are many gluten free cookbooks. I would recommend checking out the library because some use ingredients that I personally don't care for, but even at that, they can be good for ideas. It gets easier over time.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have some type of gluten or wheat sensitivity (been blood tested for celiac, but my doctor told me to cut it out anyways and it's helped greatly) but I don't eat bread. Instead of pasta I'll have corn based if I want something like pasta, or I'll have a bean based pasta. Black bean pasta is also high protein, but has an acquired taste as far as consistency. Also brown or coloured rice in general is good for sides, you can mix in some white beans (black beans make your rice look odd) too if you'd like something more filling:
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have some type of gluten or wheat sensitivity (been blood tested for celiac, but my doctor told me to cut it out anyways and it's helped greatly) but I don't eat bread. Instead of pasta I'll have corn based if I want something like pasta, or I'll have a bean based pasta. Black bean pasta is also high protein, but has an acquired taste as far as consistency. Also brown or coloured rice in general is good for sides, you can mix in some white beans (black beans make your rice look odd) too if you'd like something more filling:

Blood tests for coeliac disease are fairly inconclusive. I know a large number of people who have had bloods taken and told they are not coeliac but when biopsy tests are undertaken they are in fact coeliac. Its an avenue to look down, for years I was in indescribable pain and similarly was told that it wasn't a gluten sensitivity as my bloods were normal.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of meat and vegetables in the form of stir fry, soup, stew, chili, curry, and stuffed vegetables like stuffed spaghetti squash, zucchini boats, stuffed peppers, stuffed eggplant. We also use a spiralizer a lot to make spiralized vegetables of all kinds - squash, turnips, butternut squash, plantains, beets, etc.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to rice and potatoes a lot as staples but preparing them a little differently can make things more interesting. If you can find it, I really like roasted buckwheat as a substitute for oats or as an addition to smoothies and salads and stuff - it is kind of nutty and crunchy and high in protein.
    I still eat some of the prepackaged stuff because I don't have the know how to cook/bake gluten free stuff from scratch. I just try to go for the simpler options and steer away from bread/bread products if I can (or at least try not to have them too often).

Hope you find some things you like :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can substitute steel cut oats for rice or pasta in just about any recipe if you are looking for variety. Arrowroot is a good gluten-free thickener for soups. My favorite gluten-free desserts are no-bake cookies and rice krispy treats! And, on the odd day when are busy and want to go pre-packaged Martins/Giant now carries a generic gluten-free shells and cheese that is delicious and only about 30 cents more than the velveeta price.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You can substitute steel cut oats for rice or pasta in just about any recipe if you are looking for variety. Arrowroot is a good gluten-free thickener for soups. My favorite gluten-free desserts are no-bake cookies and rice krispy treats! And, on the odd day when are busy and want to go pre-packaged Martins/Giant now carries a generic gluten-free shells and cheese that is delicious and only about 30 cents more than the velveeta price.

Unless you are buying a non-name brand substitute, Rice Krispies are not gluten free. They contain malt.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

Also make sure you are using GF Steel cut oats and oatmeal.

I like making meringue cookies out of egg whites. I do a lot of GF baking though and have found Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 flour is really good. GF baking can get expensive. Also, Bragg's Amino Acids is a great soy sauce substitute for stir fry.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is, if you're doing a straight swap of regular bread for GF bread (and so forth for all gluten containing things) you won't lose weight. In fact, it's possible you'll gain because of the processed nature of them.

I strongly recommend learning to live without FIRST then treat yourself to the few GF treats occasionally.

As for nutrition, once your gut heals - and you're consuming nutritious foods - you should be okay. I'm still low on iron but thats fixable. I'd suggest doing your thing for a month to six weeks then get blood tested again to see how your body is absorbing things.

Great luck. It's the best thing that's happened to be (once I got over the initial shock and frustration)
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can get gluten free flours (almond, tapioca, etc.) and make your own versions of your fav foods from recipes with them at home.

What helped me in the beginning was to try to follow a lot of paleo recipes since there are so many and they are all gluten free. You would probably continue to lose weight, or maintain your weight loss, with a paleo diet because it is eliminating all the grains/carbs, but once you start to sub them back in with gluten-free alternatives, it would be just like eating the same things containing gluten.

I would NOT recommend treating yourself to any gluten treats ever, or you will prob pay a price. It is really all or nothing if you have a sensitivity/allergy, and a little bit of gluten can affect your system for quite some time.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    The biggest thing is, if you're doing a straight swap of regular bread for GF bread (and so forth for all gluten containing things) you won't lose weight. In fact, it's possible you'll gain because of the processed nature of them.

I strongly recommend learning to live without FIRST then treat yourself to the few GF treats occasionally.

As for nutrition, once your gut heals - and you're consuming nutritious foods - you should be okay. I'm still low on iron but thats fixable. I'd suggest doing your thing for a month to six weeks then get blood tested again to see how your body is absorbing things.

Great luck. It's the best thing that's happened to be (once I got over the initial shock and frustration)

They won't gain if they are still in a calorie deficit, just because they are "processed".
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

They won't gain if they are still in a calorie deficit, just because they are "processed".

True, but often times the GF versions of these things are higher in calories. Hence the 'direct swap' element of the post.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

True, but often times the GF versions of these things are higher in calories. Hence the 'direct swap' element of the post.

You really need to watch the sugar content of GF things, that's what they are higher in, therefore higher in calories.