how'd this happen?

Options
I look at the scale and it makes me sick. I was an athlete!!! I was fit even after having kids just 12 months apart. I'm so disgusted with myself! ! Being 46 is not helping I'm sure. Any advice is welcomed!

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure all of your food. Log it all. Be patient. You didn't gain weight overnight, you won't lose it that way either.
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What are the goals you are trying to reach?
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My advice is be kind to yourself. Your weight is just a number, not a measurement of your self-worth; instead of looking it at and being disgusted, look at and celebrate the things you love about yourself, whether that's how you mother your children or any number of great things.

For me, I started by reminding myself that my body deserved my respect regardless of it's size. It's carried me through my whole life. It built an entire person. It has been nothing but supportive, and I was nothing but cruel. I let society teach me I had no value because I was fat, and my internal monologue was that of utter contempt. No one takes care of things they don't value.

Make small changes to your diet and exercise routines, in ways that you can keep up with your life. :)
  • CarboUnload
    CarboUnload Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Weigh and measure all of your food. Log it all. Be patient. You didn't gain weight overnight, you won't lose it that way either.

That is the best advice, EVER! Patience and consistency are the key. For me, it almost gets to the point of seeing yourself as completely worth it, but removing the emotional attachment to how you got this way...if that makes sense. Basically, you look at losing weight like a task, instead of like a devastating moment in your life. Obviously, this won't work for everyone, but when I set clear goals and give myself credit for what I have done...I can do anything!
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Stop the self-loathing first... you are a person and you are worth so much more. You are a mother, meaning they care about you and need you to be confident and healthy.

Start by logging your foods, truthfully look at what you are putting in your body. Then figure out what is "worth it" to you and what isn't.

My coffee and cream in the morning is totally worth it to me... others have substituted for sugar and cream, but damn it I want it and I'd rather not have that extra scoop of mashed potatoes at dinner so I can have my coffee w/ cream and sugar in the morning.

Its totally do able, and you will thank yourself for it. It will take time, it will take way more patience than you even use with your children but it is worth it. Be kind to yourself, everyday is a battle so set small goals and enjoy them when you reach them.
  • thehoss316
    thehoss316 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Diligent logging, moving in any capacity, and patience! Find some movement you love, though - it all helps.
  • daizzi
    daizzi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    My advice is be kind to yourself. Your weight is just a number, not a measurement of your self-worth; instead of looking it at and being disgusted, look at and celebrate the things you love about yourself, whether that's how you mother your children or any number of great things.

For me, I started by reminding myself that my body deserved my respect regardless of it's size. It's carried me through my whole life. It built an entire person. It has been nothing but supportive, and I was nothing but cruel. I let society teach me I had no value because I was fat, and my internal monologue was that of utter contempt. No one takes care of things they don't value.

Make small changes to your diet and exercise routines, in ways that you can keep up with your life. :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP when I was 46 and so far I have lost 27 lbs.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It probably happened gradually. Small daily choices that allowed the weight to creep on.

But the good news... you can make small daily choices that will cause it to leave too. Choose today to do something a little different, a little better.

Every positive choice you make will add up.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

• saylorkw
    saylorkw Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OP I don't want to sound like a broken record or over simplify anything, the struggle IS real. As we age things just don't work the way they did when we were younger but, I have found that the key really is as simple as eat less and move more. I am not where I want to be, but I was exactly where you are. I looked in the mirror and was disgusted, ashamed and embarrassed. I had to make a change. so I DECIDED to do things different. I can't eat everything I want, I can't sit on the couch and watch TV every evening. I have to eat less BAD stuff and exercise more. Good luck. Now that you have made the decision to change, stick to the commitment!
  • dgoode444
    dgoode444 Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

gramarye wrote: »

I loved your response!

• mmmx392076
    mmmx392076 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Add lots of friend from this sight. They are all going throw the same thing you are. They are a good surport system and will help you keep on track. Also talk to people about what's going on in your life the more stress you are under the less weight you lose. Your not a number on a scale your human and human make mistakes and they learn how to fix them. You will learn how to lose the weight with time. Trust in your self.
  • maxally777
    maxally777 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You are still an athlete and you have the determination to be as fit as you once were. I can relate and you can't get down in yourself you have to move forward to achieve your goals. Accept who you are and make yourself better. Good luck in your journey and be strong. Add me if you want support.
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone in asking the question "how'd this happen?!" I ask myself that every time i look in a mirror! Feel free to add me, I'm 36 and a mum to a 16 month old girl, I've let the weight creep up on me well it can shove off!!!