Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Anyone know where you can get a decent heart rate monitor for a good deal. I have seen some but they look cheap and I dont know how well they work. Dont want to spend alot on buying one.

Replies

• Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar F6 and love it. Check Amazon.com for some good deals. Investing in a HRM is a fantastic move for anyone trying to lose weight/get in shape. Good luck!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar F6 and it is awesome!! I got it on ebay for 28 bucks =)
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have posted this message in the past, but I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM's. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with (and most recommend) the FT7 - about $90 to $105, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at $349. I have seen it as low as $250 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

Polar also has a really great line of basic HR monitors. The FT4 (about $70 online) will count your calories and store the info. When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what to choose, being really new to HRM's. I followed a thread on here that had many reviews for the New Balance N4, and bought one for me and one for my daughter. So far, so good. Fairly simple to set up and operate. Not very expensive. User-replaceable batteries (unlike some of the others). Just my 2-cents.
  • ashleycarder24
    Options
    Mio petite. It's a HRM and calorie counter. I just bought mine a couple of days ago. It's affordable, easy to use, and no chest strap. It might not be the most accurate HRM but it gives me a ballpark which if fine for me
  • rleikis
    rleikis Posts: 6
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is a really great HRM to get started with. Reasonably priced and decent features. I'd suggest you start with a basic model and find out how much you need the other features. If you really need the additional features, then upgrade to a higher FT model. I plan to upgrade myself as I become athletic again and start doing more outdoor activities, but for now everything I need in my fitness plan is in the FT4 and MFP.
  • ashleycarder24
    Options
    I posted the Mio. Scratch that. I returned it. It was fine reading while I was stationary but harder to read while running or intense exercising. By the time it did read, I know my heart rate fell.