Going over on sodium daily!!!! Grrr

Options
Hello I'm just looking for advice out there from others that hopefully know more than me and can ease my mind... I've been doing this app since a week before Xmas and for the life of me I ALWAYS go over on sodium.. My question to everyone is " is it really that big of a deal to go over on nutrient breakdowns in your intake log so long as you stay under your calories"

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1,200 sodium a day is really low. I had to guess as to your goal, since you did not mention it.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Well sodium won't affect your calories at all, it might cause you to retain water if you are eating a lot of it, but it wont keep you from losing fat. I personally think going slightly over isnt going to hurt you unless you have a medical problem such as high blood pressure. Over time it could lead to high blood pressure if you're going way over, but if it's just a little over and youre otherwise healthy I personally wouldnt worry about it
  • chaddward86
    chaddward86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well I seem to be in the neighborhood of 800-1800mg over on a 2300mg day goal with an intake of 2190 cal... I do awesome on the calorie part but I seem to go over on sodium all the time and even on the sugars and fat also but not much over 5-10 on them 2 but sodium is killing me.. And I forgot to mention I've hit a wall on the losing weight but I still go 30 min on an elliptical 3 a week if possible and I have the 8fit app on my phone that has the workouts I do daily and I also throw in some kettle bells after any workout just to work on my shoulders back and arms... I just didn't know if the sodium could be part of my plateau problem.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    Hm... High sodium intake plus exercise can definitely lead to water retention which can lead to weight gain or failure to lose weight. It shouldnt affect your fat loss though. How long have you been on mfp? Had you lost weight? It's normal to hit a plateau after losing weight, since the smaller you are the more your calorie needs decrease. You might have to adjust your calorie goals if you havent hit your goal yet
  • chaddward86
    Options
    35-40 days on app started at 278 and now stuck at 265 goal is 225 so I have quite a journey ahead of me
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    Water retention might be part of your problem, but I would also go to your goals and readjust your calories. It sucks, I know. I plateaued after losing ten pounds last time and had to adjust calories. I cant say for sure if thats your issue but its worth a try to see if it helps. You might want to mix it up with your workouts too, try something different, maybe some exercises combining strength training and cardio. Doing the same exercises all the time, your progress will plateau.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    would you be willing to open up your diary so we can take a look and offer suggestions? Feel free to check mine out.
  • chaddward86
    Options
    How do I open my diary??? I'm not ashamed of anything I do cuz I know there are things on there I prolly shouldn't have or shouldn't have as much of but if someone with results and knowledge will tell me what's garbage and what's good I'll do whatever it takes
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Sodium is NOT my friend. I have been known to gain 6 pounds of water weight if I my food choices weren't so great over a certain period of time. I know when I have consumed too much sodium and is causing havoc on the scale.

Sodium "overload" on certain days that cause water retention or water weight gain will work itself out in the coming days after consuming too much and should not be a reason for a fat/weight loss stall.

If you are at a stall, I bet it is not sodium, it is over eating too many calories especially if it has been more than 3 weeks..

• chaddward86
    Options
    This will be week 3 on Monday
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    How do I open my diary??? I'm not ashamed of anything I do cuz I know there are things on there I prolly shouldn't have or shouldn't have as much of but if someone with results and knowledge will tell me what's garbage and what's good I'll do whatever it takes

Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. You just have to do your best every day and some days will be better than others. After a while the good days will far outweigh the bad. Sometimes it just helps to have another set of eyes take a look and see if they spot something you don't.

To open your diary in the mobile app you can go to settings, diary settings, then select the option at the bottom of the list. It'll let you set your privacy level.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut back on sodium, eat more whole foods and less processed foods.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I have BP issues and watch my sodium religiously. Things to look for including: All procesed foods, restaurant meals(fast food is typically higher), condiments. If you need to regulate sodium( many folks don't) pay attention as you add each meal. You should be able to quickly find the source.
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I go over about that much per day too, but I used to salt my food like CRAZY. Now I don't salt anything, so I still think I'm making great changes there. It doesn't seem to be getting in my way so far, but always seeing that red is certainly annoying.
  • Vertigeau
    Vertigeau Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water, it'll flush the excess sodium out.
  • chaddward86
    Options
    My dairy is now open... Look away and let me know what anyone thinks... I'm open to all criticism good and bad... If anyone has suggestions on better foods to eat or buy or where to buy feel free to include it in any comment... I really wanna have stuff figured out by the time my wife has our second and final child in April and then she's getting on board with me... Then it moves to a 100lb weight loss goal by next April so I wanna help her any way I can but as of now I feel I'm in now shape to be giving advice cuz I really don't know what I'm doing other
  • Vertigeau
    Vertigeau Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My dairy

hahaha
  • chaddward86
    Options
    I hear ya bsbprincess I feel that when I see them red numbers I've failed the entire day and will never see my goal no matter how many calories I have left at the end of the day
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't monitor sodium at all.. wouldn't worry about it.
  • sonnydaniels
    sonnydaniels Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try switching up your workout routine some to give your body some variation if you are hitting plateaus--incorporate some weight training aimed at adding lean muscle which will increase your metabolism