Dining Curfew??

Options
I was considering giving myself a set cut-off time for eating every day--I tend to go overboard in the evenings :(

Has anyone else tried this?? If so, what sort of results did you have?

Replies

• butterflywingz
    Options
    I try to, although it isn't always possible as I work afternooons and have to rely on when Im allowed to go to dinner. Typically I try not to eat anything over 100 cals after 7pm
  • jujudot
    jujudot Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The kitchen is closed after 8pm. The only time I might make an exception is if I'm way under calories or if my eating schedule is off. I didn't think I would stick with it, but I have-replaced my "mindless eating" with sipping water instead.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I'll have a small snack before bed. If I'm not genuinely hungry I won't eat again after dinner but I know myself well enough to know that if I go to bed hungry I won't sleep well and I'll wake up miserable. I just keep my snack reasonable and healthy.
    My general rule has been to eat if I'm hungry. I just ask myself first if I'm actually hungry or just bored. When I started I was amazed at how much I was eating out of boredom.
  • mrsmontellano
    mrsmontellano Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dinner after 7pm, but if I go to the gym and am feeling hungry after 9, I stick with fruits/vegetables. Nothing heavy or full of fats. If you're feeling empty and hungry after 7, don't starve yourself (that's just worse off for binging at midnight!), so try for something light.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I need to do this, really. Evenings are my worst. I don't mind being hungry at all during the day. But a few hours after dinner, I find it so hard to be hungry at all, even a teeny little bit. I really should make a cut off point.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you like to eat late, maybe you should try the opposite. Don't start eating before a certain time. I haven't even started making dinner yet and it's almost 8:00 p.m. We like to eat late.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    I've tried to make a habit of not eating after 8:00. I have a terrible problem with sugar binges at night, and it's an issue that runs in the family. I get extremely intense sugar cravings, particularly around 10:00p. I've had some luck, but sticking to the plan has been a real battle for me. Although I have an extremely hard time sticking to my "Don't eat after 8" rule, when I manage I feel undeniably better in the morning! I recommend it highly if you can some how make it work!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 9pm
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I try to do this but I have a hectic and often changing schedule. If I have to eat later at night, it is not anything big or heavy - 100 calories or less only. I try to stick to fresh veggies like green peppers or cucumbers. Good luck :)
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    So, I don't know if it's different for all people, the cut-off for eating, but I honestly eat (and ate) pretty decent a sized late night snack EVERY day (I've been doing it for over a year). I'd say I usually have it between 9:30 and 11, but sometimes as late as 11:30 and midnight. The later it is, I sometimes won't eat everything I planned to, but then again, sometimes I do. I also try to eat less carbs/sugar at night (though I haven't been doing a good job at that lately), but I honestly don't know why. I think it's because I have heard more than once that it's bad to eat carbs late at night.

But anyway, I made this decision at the VERY beginning of my weightloss/lifestyle change because one of my friends' mothers is a nutritionist, and I would call and ask her questions all the time. Anyway, when I asked if eating late at night would make me gain weight, she said no- It's about calories in vs. calories out and moving for at least 45 minutes everyday. As for carbs, she just said make sure to eat whole grains and fiber, no starch or white flour.

good luck!
  • SabrinaLeeBee
    Options
    My biggest problem is the sugary stuff too...I'll start with something healthy like a banana, then think, "Hey, this would be great with peanut butter!" It's pretty much all down hill from there...

I started this last night, and it went really well--just going to keep with it and see how it goes :)