Protein is the bane of my existence

Options
I have so much trouble getting enough protein. I am not a big animal meat eater...I can do fish and some shrimp once a week and that's pretty much it. Sometimes I am surprised by how little protein something has that I think would have a lot. The other/big problem is that processed protein (shakes, bars, etc) destroy my stomach.

What natural sources of protein do you eat?

Replies

• katihamlin
    katihamlin Posts: 41
    Options
    Greek yogurt (big time like 12 g per 6oz) and peanuts (or any other nuts for that matter). Enjoy :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses too, almonds as well.

Lots of protein shakes available as well, look for ones with 25 gr or more of protein and less than 200 calories per serving.

Hang in there!
  • sarahttini
    sarahttini Posts: 186
    Options
    What about eggs???
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary. I have the opposite problem with protein due to kidney stones, but because I eat vegan, you may get some ideas.
  • jeffpiipponen
    jeffpiipponen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries and stevia powder, egg whites with fresh salsa:bigsmile:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is amazing for protein, and you can get it low calorie/low fat too! :D Also, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese (sodium can be quite high in this) fish, meat, beans, milk, eggs, porridge...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, beans, tofu, eggs, beans, peas, beans, peanut or soynut butter. Did I mention beans?
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    Eggs whites... I buy cartons of them and just mix them with fruit juice and drink.

If protein supplements upset your stomach try whey protein isolates (remove fats and lactose) or hydrolysates (partially hydrolyzed whey proteins might be easier to digest).
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    O_O

Yes. Greek yogurt.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, almonds, Greek yogurt, egg whites, (did I mention Greek yogurt).
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat a TON of beans and nuts :D I'm one of those people that can't stand Greek Yogurt, so beans and nuts have been my lifesaver, especially since I lift 3 days a week.
  • boxingday2010
    Options
    I'd say a good start is just by drinking a glass of skim milk, 8 grams of protein and only 90 calories. But if you're like me and have a sweet tooth I think a nice glass of chocolate milk hits the spot; although a glass of Swiss Chocolate 2% reduced fat milk has close to double the calories (170). Otherwise you can always have eggs, wheat toast or peanut butter; all excellent choices of protein. Start the morning out with a glass of skim milk, couple eggs, slice of wheat toast with peanut butter and you're looking at one meal with almost 30 grams of protein.
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try garbanzo beans in salads to as hummus. Very tasty.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the exact opposite problem lately...I go way over on my protein! By the way...does anyone know if it is really bad to eat tooo much protein?? Today I went over my recommended amount of protein by 51 grams!

Try drinking a glass of skim milk, egg whites for b-fast, greek yogurt, grilled fish for dinner....
  • lorischlitz
    Options
    Have you tried eating Spinach, Hemp protein, Kale, Beans .. all of those pack tons of protein.