Do you differentiate between fruit sugars and "added" sugars?

Options
I frequently go over my sugar goal for the day, but the vast majority of it will be coming from fruit.

Today, for example, I've consumed almost all of my allotted sugar just from a single apple, a small portion of raisins, and some almonds.

How do others approach this?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter

Swap out sugar tracking for something useful

There are seriously hundreds of these threads and they all go the same way

Providing you aren't diabetic, don't sweat it
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Personally, I ignore sugar.

I make sure I get sufficient protein and fats in my diet, and just let the rest fall where it may.

If you have a medical reason to track sugar, clearly that would change my approach.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    All of my sugar comes from fruits, vegetables and grasses. I don't really distinguish.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    All sugar - even refined sugar - is natural sugar that comes from fruits and vegetables.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont track sugar so... no

(and sugar is sugar)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I track fiber instead of sugar (no medical issues for me).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I don't differentiate but I eat low carb so it's a moot point anyway. If I did increase my carbs (and consequently my sugar) I'd keep my total sugar from all sources under the 90g mark. A few countries have 90g - 100g as a sugar limit and it seems sensible enough me -- even though I don't think there's compelling evidence yet to limit sugar from whole foods.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I pay attention, just don't stress about it. I also pay attention to all of the numbers, currently I suck with getting fiber in. Just perspective.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I look at where my sugar is coming from and don't care if I happen to get lots of sugar from fruit, veg, and dairy. I also don't care if I have one day with lots of added sugar. If I were routinely getting lots of calories from added sugar (i.e., sugary treats or something I hadn't realized was full of sugar, which hasn't really happened), I would want to notice.

So, yeah, I distinguish. As I read the new dietary guidelines and the WHO recommendations, they are based on the fact that added sugar tends to come in high calorie, low nutrient packages and thus too much leads to too many calories and inadequate nutrients in the diet (and many of the calories in these foods are actually from fat). I see zero reason to be concerned about sugar from fruit or veg, which are not in high cal, low nutrient packages. I would only worry about fruit if my diet were lacking something else due to all the fruit I was eating.

I am at a high enough calorie level that I don't really go over sugar, though.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It doesn't matter

^ This.

I make sure I get sufficient protein and fats in my diet, and just let the rest fall where it may.

If you have a medical reason to track sugar, clearly that would change my approach.

^ And this.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It doesn't matter

sullus wrote: »
    All sugar - even refined sugar - is natural sugar that comes from fruits and vegetables.

What they said.

Also, your body doesn't care whether sugar comes from candy or fruit.
    Fiber may slow absorption but it will still break down and be used in the same way.

Added sugars include: glucose, sucrose and fructose
    Fruit sugars include: glucose, sucrose and fructose
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Nope. I never pay attention to sugar, period.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I track fiber instead of sugar (no medical issues for me).

This ^^
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Nope. I never pay attention to sugar, period.

^^This
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    i dont track sugar so... no

(and sugar is sugar)

Yes indeed BUT when evaluating overall health, a food that contains sugar because it was grown from the earth with it tends to have more nutritional value than a food with any form of sugar added in.

I mentally try to keep the added sugars low. My highest sugar foods are luna bars, Kefir/fruit smoothie type deal, and my veggies. Especially peas! They're my favorite and often put me over the 'limit' of sugar. If I have a lot in terms of fruits and vegetables, then I usually chose just one 'treat' (Luna Bar or kefir). On days with low sugar veggies, I can Have both :) It's just a personal preference to keep an eye on added sugar type foods as those tend to be weaknesses for me.