A GOOD Cry at the Gym! Anyone relate?

Options
As a kid and through high school I was crazy active, all kinds of sports, dance, swimming, gymnastics, etc. Then I entered college and the "Sedentary Era" began (along with the significant weight gain). When I was 25, I shifted and started an active and healthy lifestyle. I maintained that until law school at 29, then "Sedentary Era Redux" began (with even more significant weight gain). So on and so forth ...

I am now back on the bandwagon and working toward an active and healthy lifestyle, but it's challenging, considering: 1. I am no longer 25, and 2. I know where I've been, so it's hard not to compare and judge my progress.

That being said, I decided that the best way to motivate early was to set a concrete fitness goal. Now I am training for a half marathon (my second, I completed one three years ago). As a statistically overweight kid, I always HATED running, especially since it was utilized as a torture mechanism in every gym/P.E. class I'd ever attended, and always served to separate the kids into two categories - those who can run, and those who clearly CAN'T (and never would be able to) run. I vowed, after my last P.E. class, that I would never run again.

I chose to start running specifically to show that kid I used to be that I WOULD beat the monster of running, and I would do it on my own terms. I'm about a month in to this round of training, and last night, I ran for 40 full minutes. 40 minutes. When I started I could barely run for a minute without stopping. Then last night on the treadmill, with house-pop-techno blaring in my eardrums, as I was on my last minute of the 40, I started crying. Crying tears of joy, triumph, and pure-unadulterated "atta girl!". It was fantastic, and I can't wait to do it again.

So, what's your story? Tell me your personal triumph! What makes you keep coming back for more?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That's great that you are working to overcome it! You can get fit without having to run. There are tons of activities that don't feel like torture :) Deciding you want to overcome your hatred of running is still a good goal.

I hate running. I get most of my results through eating appropriately and lifting, but I did set a mileage goal for the year just to encourage myself to run sometimes.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    hickmanha wrote: »
    Tell me your personal triumph! What makes you keep coming back for more?
    Walking the Great Glen Way in Scotland and taking the brand new high route from Invermoriston to Alltsigh and nailing it. I felt as if I ruled the world. Loved it and loved the views as a reward.
    I have always had a horrible time hiking in mountains, my asthma then really tries to kill me. But now with proper medication (after very late diagnosis) and well trained, I decided not to take the low route.

• hickmanha
    hickmanha Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hickmanha wrote: »
    Tell me your personal triumph! What makes you keep coming back for more?
    Walking the Great Glen Way in Scotland and taking the brand new high route from Invermoriston to Alltsigh and nailing it. I felt as if I ruled the world. Loved it and loved the views as a reward.
    I have always had a horrible time hiking in mountains, my asthma then really tries to kill me. But now with proper medication (after very late diagnosis) and well trained, I decided not to take the low route.

Outstanding!! That is an amazing accomplishment! I hadn't heard about the Great Glen Way, and now that I've seen it, I think I have a new life goal! What a gorgeous trail, and I am so happy you chose the high road!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    From a fellow running-hater, I congratulate you!! I know exactly what you're going through, having started at less than 1 minute of running at a time. I'm only up to about 24 minutes, for 2 miles. But I'm still on it until I get to where you are. Awesome job!
  • lisapierce5277
    lisapierce5277 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 and thought I was stuck with my fat body forever cause I should have lost this years ago and made wrong decisions and then in November of this year I got really sick and laid on couch for almost two weeks and realized that this is no quality of life. Then it dawned on me I could lose weight even though I am post menapausal and over 50, I could get healthy if I really really tried. So here I am. I have lost 12 pounds in 17 days which is no easy thing when your my age.I tricked my body.....in turning loose of my fat, I eat every 3 hours, cottage cheese with pineapples mostly, and have sensible.meals in between. And started on my gazelle and palates machine. I am more energetic and I am not quitting no matter what. Even if the scales stop I won't give up.
  • KlutzyK
    KlutzyK Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm curious to see if your hate turns into love eventually. That's what happened to me. 15 years ago I set myself a goal to run a 5k, just to see if I could do it. I couldn't run a full city block when I started - and I had to take a few walk breaks during my first race. I don't race anymore - well, I never actually raced very much to begin with. I just run for the love of running. I find it's my zen and things seem so much better when I'm done with a run.

So anyway, I'd wonder if you'll always hate it or if you'll one day find you're craving a run. :-)
  • lisapierce5277
    lisapierce5277 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wish I could run but at 227 pounds it's hard to do that. But I hope to one day.i am worried bout sagging skin to lose 60 to 70 pounds.but for now I have to focus on getting healthy for my heart and worry bout that later.
  • hickmanha
    Options
    THANK YOU everyone for sharing your stories! @lisapierce5277 , I currently weigh 263 and I'm running. It's slow (like really slow), steady, and I monitor for any aches and pains to make sure I'm not damaging my body. I wouldn't let a number stand in your way, IF that's what's stopping you. If you have other medical concerns, joint issues, etc., then of course you need to be cautious of those.

@KlutzyK - You're right, it's definitely evolving now, no longer hate. Not quite to "love" yet, but I look forward to my runs because I know I can do them, without stress of self-loathing, or judgment. I love the alone time and the focus, and the sense of accomplishment when it's done. If that's love, then maybe I am there after all!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, after i finished running my first 8k race, i cried. cried tears of happiness. same thing when i finished my first 13 miles
  • buttersbunch
    buttersbunch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Reaching my first milestone of losing 25 pounds... then 50 pounds... then 75 pounds... then 100 pounds (in my first 7 months) then 125 pounds... then 150 pounds... then 175 pounds... then 200 pounds... then 225 pounds... then 250 pounds, and FINALLY a total loss of 275 pounds- THAT was a milestone moment NEVER to be forgotten for it revealed all the healthy changes and choices that brought me there!!

4l96bf7x07c9.jpeg
  • hickmanha
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    From a fellow running-hater, I congratulate you!! I know exactly what you're going through, having started at less than 1 minute of running at a time. I'm only up to about 24 minutes, for 2 miles. But I'm still on it until I get to where you are. Awesome job!

Good for you!! I've read some of the "beginner's guides to running" on posts throughout MFP and they all say the same thing (which I agree with): set a realistic goal (like a 5k) and work towards it. That's what I did, and what I continue to do. Sounds like you're on the right track, keep it up!
  • hickmanha
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    yes, after i finished running my first 8k race, i cried. cried tears of happiness. same thing when i finished my first 13 miles

Hell yeah! Good crying is the best :-)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've never cried happy tears at the gym that I can remember. I've broken down a couple times feeling frustrated with myself for not being able to lift heavier or complete a particularly difficult track in a class I take regularly. I broke down one day (in that same class) because it was a breast cancer awareness themed class and my mom was just finishing up radiation for her own breast cancer so it was kind of a raw subject for me. Anyway, congratulations on finishing that 40 minute run! That's a great accomplishment!
  • hickmanha
    Options
    @buttersbunch AMAZING! That is incredible, and I love that you made mini-milestones for yourself along the way. Sometimes when the number to lose is more than we can conceptualize, it makes it harder to begin. Baby steps, even though small, still move us forward. So happy for you!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I've never cried at the gym personally...but you know what...you rock.

giphy.gif