Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Under my calories but keep gaining help!

I have been under my calories almost every day for the past 2 weeks or so some days i am over by 20 ir 30 calories. But i keep gaining weight, in the past 2 weeks or so I have GAINED 8 pounds. Any suggestions for how to stop the weight gain? Please help.

Replies

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    How are you determining your calorie intake? Are you using a digital food scale to measure in grams?
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    It is not possible to gain weight when you are under your calorie budget for the day with only slightly over on other days unless you have hypothyroidism. I suggest that you see your doctor.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    For a period of time, say two weeks, weigh every solid thing that goes in your mouth with a food scale and log accurately. Measure every liquid that goes in your mouth with measuring cups and spoons and log accurately. My bet is you will find that you are eating more than you think. If that isn't the case, you may have a medical condition. 99 times out of 100, it's just too many calories though. Weigh all solids, measure all liquids.
  • SmasherC
    SmasherC Posts: 8 Member
    It is possible that your body is getting used to exercising and the muscle that you are toning with your newly established routine is storing glycogen. This could cause temporary weight gain. As your body adapts, you should begin to notice a loss as long as you are accounting for all calories accurately.

Best of luck!
  • missjrcam
    missjrcam Posts: 4 Member
    Are you actually weighing your food and certain of what you're eating? If so, do you have any medical issues? I know for myself it's not as simple as calories in calories out. For example, dairy and gluten causes a boatload of inflammation when I consume them and therefore fluid retention for me. I can be under my calorie goal while consuming dairy and gain. If none of that applies to you, stick with it a little longer and see if the weight starts to come off.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    a7xlover76 wrote: »
    I have been under my calories almost every day for the past 2 weeks or so some days i am over by 20 ir 30 calories. But i keep gaining weight, in the past 2 weeks or so I have GAINED 8 pounds. Any suggestions for how to stop the weight gain? Please help.

First of all be patient - weight loss/gain is not linear and you may have initially weighed yourself while dehydrated and holding water weight.

Look to your logging first. This is a very difficult task and even trained experts vary greatly in their estimation. Also note that nutritional labeling varies by 10%. Bottom line you are eating more that you burn, so eat less, move more.
  • a7xlover76
    a7xlover76 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you guys as far as i know i dont have any medical issues but hypothyroidism does run in my family. I will start weighing my food intake and see if that helps thanks again.